Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

I have had dry needling done by a PT and I thought it helped immensely. But mine was for a tight painful knot in my shoulder. I've also had it done on my neck. All with good results. My PT was very well trained with extensive training and continual training on using this technique.

That is encouraging news. I go to PT tomorrow and, hopefully for the dry needling.

I appreciate your input and will keep you posted.

Oh Dorothy I am so sorry to read this. I wish you still lived down the road from me. My first thought was...Physical Therapy???? How do they know what therapy you need if they don't know for sure what's wrong? Do not let them take you out of your comfort zone. I've had accupencture and dry needling, my Physical Therapist does it, his is a Dr. Of course in the big scheme of things although I felt some relief at the time, but my problem was metal allergy so that alone would have never helped me indefinitely. I hope you get some answers soon and if you need a new doctor, mine who did my 3rd knee is awesome!!!

The physical therapy is mostly gentle stretching with no pain and little discomfort involved. It's also a trial thing, I initially went to my PCP who is also a sports medicine dr. He's head of the new Iron Man facility at Memorial Hermann Sugarland. I'm going to see Ortho as well and we're definitely going to be looking into the metal allergy aspect. He wanted me to go about six months ago, but I got sidetracked with other medical problems, I.e. Heart surgery, and one other surgery, now hopefully we can get the knee issue resolved. I, too, wished I still lived down the road from you. We're happy where we are but I do miss old friends. Maybe we can meet halfway for lunch.

Well I've been in physical therapy for 3 weeks since my knee completely buckled on me. My ROM is back to 123 from 104 and extension varies between 0-2 which is better than the 4 I started out with. There's only the major problem that we tried a little weight bearing exercise and this causes pain which is not muscle pain but coming from the prosthesis running through the knee joint down into the tibia. I told my husband today it feels like it did about one month after my TKR. I see the OS tomorrow so hopefully will know tomorrow. My gut tells me I will need a revision but I will wait and see what he has to say.

The best of luck tomorrow Dorothy. Just remember...revisions aren't so bad. Both of my revisions were less painful than my original TKR! If it makes you better, it's worth it!!

I've been putting off posting - I must still be in denial. I saw the 1st OS who said the X-ray looked great and he couldn't feel any looseness. He didn't even bother to read the pt report but he did refer me to another OS. He is fairly new in town and was recruited to Houston from Napa Valley. He was very thorough in his exam and said he felt some looseness and wanted to do blood work and three phase bone scan to determine looseness vs. infection. We talked about possible metal allergy but he said that almost always manifests in a different way affecting rom and extension. Also, my body is full of metal, I.e. Pacemaker, cervical and lumbar fusions, and I've never had any problems with that My rom and extension are okay - I just can't handle weight bearing exercise

I feel the dry needling has really helped with the soft tissue so I'm very grateful to know that I don't have chronic tendinitis. My physical therapist has been fantastic, especially compared to the brute I had after my TKR three years ago. Thank goodness for that. Meanwhile I'm stressing over all this but just doing my stretching, icing, elevating and trying to maintain a positive attitude. I do so not want to have a revision. I've been reading the revision threads and know that if it is necessary I will do it.

Thank you for the update, @turtle68 .
I'm sorry your still having problems, but it sounds as if this second doctor will establish what's wrong and do whatever is necessary to get you right again.
If that should be a revision, take comfort from knowing that it is seldom as bad as your imagination thinks it will be.
I had a revision. I was very scared (and fed up) beforehand, but it turned out to be a bit of an anticlimax. It worked well and the recovery was a bit easier than I thought it would be.

Well, I saw the OS today and scheduled a revision TKR for June 21. The bone scan showed possible loosening and he had already said it was loose. Fortunately, infection was ruled out, he said my patella looks good. Of course he gave me the worst case scenario and said there's a chance it could be worse. He does many revisions and I think that is the talk they have to give to cover themselves. Meanwhile I am so scared but at the same time fed up with my lack of ability to be active. It's been three years since my TKR and I had just accepted the fact it was a long recovery, but since it gave out on me and I'm unable to do weight bearing exercise without extreme pain, I have decided I'm going to take the chance on the revision. I've been reading the revision threads and although I note that some of you have had long recoveries, many have said it was easier than the first TKR.

Meanwhile I will continue to do what I can. We leave for vacation to California Thursday. Will be in Palm Desert so at least I can hang out at the Spa, walk in the pool and have a nice drink with an umbrella in it.

Dorothy

Turtle68,
Glad you have some answers, sorry you need a revision. You will be better after it is behind you.
Have a wonderful time in Palm Desert, :ice:.

I'm sorry to hear that you need a revision, but there's every chance that it will be successful. If the implant is loosening, it is just going to get worse, but the revision will fix it.

You're correct that your surgeon has to warn you of all possible consequences, both good and bad, of the surgery - that's what's necessary to get your informed consent to the surgery. The possible bad consequences rarely happen.

Thank you for your replies. You are the ones giving me courage. I'm waiting until June because I want to travel to Wisconsin to see my grandson graduate from middle school and figure summer in Houston is a good time to recuperate. It's hot and humid so it'll be a good time to "hang out".

I am very sorry to read of the need of a revision, but I am very hopeful that this step is one that will allow you to move forward and put all of the issues behind you. It sounds like you have chosen an excellent OS who does many revisions---you will be in great hands.

My stomach is in knots as I think about this revision, so I'm seriously considering putting it off. Celle, you said it would only continue to get worse. Will just normal day to day activities cause it to loosen more? I know some days it is worse than others and if it's not too swollen it feels really loose. Please excuse my whining - Am I just being a big baby and at 72 should I just be happy with a sedentary lifestyle?

turtle68,
If it is loose it will only get worse, do you really want that metal banging on your bone?
My husband is older than you and he has skied over 30 days this year. Of course you want to stay active, don't settle.
Breathe...

Thank you for your swift comment. I don't ski anymore, I just want to be able to take long walks, travel, and even hike a bit. And I love the reminder to breath. Thanks again.

You will be in my prayers for a successful revision. I do hope you have a wonderful trip! Relax and enjoy the sun!

Sounds like your new OS will make sure you are well taken care of. If you want to have a reasonably active lifestyle you know that doing the revision is necessary. The loosening will only increase with time. Please try not to expect the worst. At least now you know there is something wrong that can be fixed ! Meanwhile look forward to seeing your grandson graduate, you must be so proud of him.

My stomach is in knots as I think about this revision, so I'm seriously considering putting it off. Celle, you said it would only continue to get worse. Will just normal day to day activities cause it to loosen more? I know some days it is worse than others and if it's not too swollen it feels really loose. Please excuse my whining - Am I just being a big baby and at 72 should I just be happy with a sedentary lifestyle?
Sweetheart, it isn't going to get better. It can only get worse. It will continue to loosen as time passes, which will increase your pain. And, no, you certainly should not be content with a sedentary life at your age. You deserve better than that.
I'm 2 years older than you and I'm not ready for that yet!

I had a revision and, like you, I was anxious about it, but it turned out to be a bit of an anticlimax. If anything, my recovery was easier than the recovery from my original surgery.

I know it's a shock to learn you need a revision, but you have a couple of months to get used to the idea and it will be worth it, to fix what's wrong.
I'm going to ask @newlybionic to talk to you. Shes recently had a revision and she went through the anxiety that you are feeling now. She's doing very well after her revision.

I'm really glad you have a new surgeon. In my opinion, the surgeon only gets one chance. If he/she can't get it right the first time, they don't get to try again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom