Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Turtlegirl's Recovery Thread

Turtlegirl

Country
United States United States
I am at 19 days post surgery for TRH anterior. This forum has quite a bit of useful information. Thank you. Recovery is going well but I definitely did too much yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day (and I was restless) so I walked around the block twice. Also did my Physical Therapy exercises and thought all was going well. Woke up this morning with pain and stiffness in top right thigh. It feels weird, like a muscle pull so I am going to try and be totally relaxed and stay put today with taking basic pain meds- Celebrex, aspirin and Tylenol. I Oxycodone and Flexeril but am trying to avoid taking these unless I have to. I am worried about dislocation and what it feels like as I am a restless sleeper and know that I have turned over on my left side.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Turtlegirl - and :welome:to recovery.

I've moved your post from the January Jackpots thread, which is essentially just a list, so you can see who's having surgery around the same time as you are.

This is now your recovery thread, so please post any questions and updates here , on your own thread.
If you'd like a different thread title, just post what you'd like and we'll change it for you.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Relaxing and staying put is the right thing to do, I would also ice a lot. I've had a lot of odd feelings and moved in bed enough to get worried about dislocating in the early weeks. From what you can read on here about dislocation I don't think you could mistake the intense pain of it. Those that have done it have said it was all they could do to breathe. I always slept with a pillow between my legs, sometimes 2 as I have a small contoured one and I would add a standard bed pillow. It seemed to keep me from rolling and if I did the legs stayed in place.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Turtlegirl congrats on your new hip...it's such a relief to have it over with, isn't it?

The main thing to remember is that it usually doesn't hurt while doing an activity.. it hurts later!
It requires some deliberate thought and discipline to increase the activity incrementally. Hopefully you've spent the day relaxing, elevating and icing and are beginning to feel better. :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
If you overdid it, which it seems may be a good possibility, it may take longer than a day to recover. Only letting you know so that you're not discouraged if you're not feeling total relief today, or even tomorrow.

Increasing your walks slowly always keeping in mind you have to save enough energy for the return trip. It's hard to gauge at times because if you're feeling good, you naturally think of going further, then it can all start going downhill upon your return and you're a tired achy mess by the time you get back home.

Would surrounding yourself with some firmer pillows keep you from rolling over during naps or the over night, creating a barrier that is difficult to roll over? Just a thought....
Have a great Monday!
@Turtlegirl

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
I don't think you could mistake the intense pain of it.
I agree. I think a man on my floor, dislocated while I was in the hospital. He was really loud all of the sudden and staff went rushing, phones call were made. You could tell he was in agony.

My PT in the hospital, rolled up a large towel lengthwise and I used that rather than a pillow, at her suggestion. since my right foot was toeing in after surgery. She tucked it so that there was no way the right foot could roll. The toeing in is getting better.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I am worried about dislocation and what it feels like as I am a restless sleeper and know that I have turned over on my left side.
Following is some info on Dislocation from the BoneSmart Library -

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @Turtlegirl and welcome to Bone Smart and the healing side. You've already received lots of good advice so I'll just say we have a tendency to overdo when we start feeling better. It's such a fine line we have to walk between enough and too much. It's a dance of sorts, just try to take it slow and easy.

OP
OP
T

Turtlegirl

Country
Hi Everyone- Thanks so much for all of the excellent advice. I did have some extreme anxiety about dislocation. Resting, icing and using about 3 extra pillow barriers did help. Although I had some pain and heard a little weird popping noise it was nothing like what some of you described. Plus, I watched the videos and skipped my PT exercises too. Today is a better day and I am taking it slow. There is some weird muscle pulling, but since I have needed this surgery for a long time the muscles may need more pampering. I am an elementary school principal and am used to a having a million things to get done. Slowing down is a good learning experience. I love the description from Elf1 that the healing process is a dance of sorts.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Turtlegirl
Giving all that surgical trauma time to settle and being patient is the hardest part of recovery. And trying not to worry.:unsure:
Your body is working hard to bounce back and just rolling with the tide is the best for now.
Oh yea, and Ice.:ice:
My recovery thread is fraught with Is This Normal? pleas for reassurance.
Was nice to get the scoop from those who know.:tada:
Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary! :flwrysmile:
I hope you continue to do well. Leave us updates as time allows, we'd love to follow your progress.
A wonderful weekend to you! :)
@Turtlegirl

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary! Sorry the sentiment is a couple days late.
How are you doing? We’d love to hear. Fingers crossed your recovery is progressing nicely.
All the best moving forward...be safe and stay well! :)
@Turtlegirl

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
elosasso
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom