• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Tub seat?

julie1968

Country
United States United States
My Dr recommended I get a seat for my tub to sit on and slide into the show since I have a step into tub/shower. Getting suggestions was it hard for you all to get in and out of the shower? Do the people who have experienced this recommend one?
Thanks everyone just trying to make sure I'm prepared.

amy8303

Country
Yes, get a tub seat. You will not be able to lift your leg high enough to get into the shower from a standing position. The seat allows you to sit from the OUTSIDE of the tub, then swing each leg over the side of the tub until you are safely inside. It will also keep you safe from falls as well. Best wishes for a healthy recovery.

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
There should be no difficulty getting into and out of a bath. Just look in the 'comprehensive list' Celle left you a link to. Get a bath shelf but also get a leg lifter. That's how I did it.

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
A bath bench was a life-saver (well, cleanliness-saver) for me. My bench had two legs outside the tub and two legs in the tub. It was easy to sit down and get both legs inside, then enjoy my shower. I used a hand-held shower head and was happy to have that.

You may find it difficult to stand for very long in the first few weeks. Everyone is different, of course, but don’t be surprised if you find standing either uncomfortable or very tiring. That’s another reason a tub seat or shower bench is useful.

OP
OP
julie1968

julie1968

Country
@SusieShoes Thank you. I'm getting a bench this week. Figured standing would be hard for a week or so. So much helpful information in the forum

Celle

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
At first, having a shower will tire you out.
I found it useful to have a chair outside the shower, so that I could sit down while I dried myself.

OP
OP
julie1968

julie1968

Country
@Celle good idea. This forum has made me feel so much better and getting great tips and information

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Add me to the list who loved having the bath bench. It really helped with getting in and out of the tub shower. One tip is to practice with it in a dry tub before your surgery to make sure you have it set up right and in the right spot.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
REDSING57
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags