PKR TTBONE post op

TTBONE

Country
United States United States
Im on the other side. Partial knee replacement done and my first night in hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @TTBONE - and :welome: to recovery.
I hope things are going well.

Here is your copy of the Recovery Guidelines and some helpful articles:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the other side! Now begins your recovery journey. Good luck as you progress. Please keep us posted as you recover and ask any questions you have, vent when needed and also post your successes.

Sending healing thoughts to you as you recover~.

! Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 6.35.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Yay! You're over the hump!

It just gets better and better from here. Some lows and setbacks perhaps, but you're now getting better, instead of getting worse :)

Third-day in hospital for PKR just released from hospital. Last night dr put me on lyrica because he thinks he cut a rouge nerve. The crazy pain and no feeling from below the knee to ankle on one side. The meds helped also iv hydro morphine. Home now and in home PT in am.

I am so glad you have been with Bonesmart for some time and know how to direct your therapy tomorrow. Especially with the injury you received during your procedure. Wishing you the best in your upcoming recovery! -Suz

Hello all 6 th day post-op . Took a shower with help, I found this was very scary but got it done. Now I’m having tummy trouble, taking several meds for this eating fruits and drinking tons of water. Anyone have any other ideas?

One of our lovely moderators will welcome you soon and get you oriented with some wonderful articles for recovery.

Meanwhile, I was quite nauseous for the first 12-14 days, then I lowered my pain medication dosage (per Dr. instruction) and I felt much better! Keep with the fruits and water, and stool medications that should help also!

@TTBONE
I have merged all three of your threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. Please don't keep starting new threads.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads. In particular, did you see this message at the end of the Recovery Guidelines that were left for you? While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated - as you will see, if you read back in this thread.
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you. It also acts as a recovery diary for you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this one thread. Bookmark it, so you don't lose it. This article may help you , too:
How can I find my threads and posts?

If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Welcome & happy new PKR (I have 2 laterals)!

I had to cut my pain pills in half to avoid stomach issues. Just took the doses closer together. Added prunes and an occasional pepcid.

From your signature, it looks like you might have a Nurse Cat. The laying on of the paws works wonders.

Did your nerve issue resolve itself?

Who knew that you would lose weight having surgery. Throwing up, Constipation, then trying to run to potty afterwards. I’m at 2 weeks and weaning myself off the walker to a cane. Also weaning myself down on pain meds.

At least there are some good side effects of this surgery! I really like the losing weight part!

@TTBONE - Once again, we have had to merge a new thread you started and put it into your recovery thread. Please don't keep starting new threads.

I already explained to you, in Post #10, why we prefer you to have only one thread for recovery.
In addition, every time we have to merge threads it takes up Staff time that could be better spent helping members with their problems.

Thank you for your future cooperation in this matter.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back