TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

@sistersinhim
Oh I know I overdid it. :sorry:
It had been so long and we had zero baseline to know my capabilities so I pushed it. I got my knuckles rapped today by my treatment team for being so foolish.
They have now set hard limits, no exceptions, And I’m happy to adhere. I do NOT want to experience this again any time soon.
:bignono:

You've learned from your mistake. That's what counts!

@traceys
I read your post on walking the track with your poles. At 6 weeks po, I pulled out my poles and walked around my house for 10 minute laps throughout the day. I was so sore and achey the next few days. I read up on the effect of the poles on.muscle groups, I have exerstriders, and realized that the poles were helping to work certain muscle groups and the recommendation was to start slowly. I imagine you, like I, overdid it with the poles. They help with balance but are a work out tool as well. I hope you are getting more relief today.
Dale

So today I was scheduled to walk the track. Woke up at about 9am to get ready and while the knee was definately better it wasn’t enough for me to be comfortable with the idea of pushing it today. So I went back to bed and slept until noon. That was almost 10hrs of sleep last night. I was obviously exhausted too.

I feel guilty for not going, like I’m giving up or sabotaging my gain and it’s my fault I’m plateaued below 90 and can’t straighten either.
:umm:
Hubs said he will go with me one day this weekend and walk with me if I still feel guilty but he doesn’t understand why I feel that in the first place. I’ll get lots of steps in today with housework and date night but I just feel...behind the pack again.

Now if I can shake off this little mental funk I should be good. Have a great weekend all!! :wave:

@traceys be kind to yourself...as I am having a rest day (went for a too long walk last night in the cold, paying for it today) I was reading your post and realized I think we both are tired of baby steps, we want some giant leaps... but recovery time is good don’t feel guilty you want to enjoy date night without aggravating your knee. Balance is our goal... pushing when needed resting when needed so we can enjoy life and those we love.

Don't feel guilty for looking out for your knee and resting it. There seems little point in going and making it worse AND you didn't sabotage anything deliberately. You tried something, did your best, but it proved too much for your knee. Please don't beat yourself up. Rest, regroup and you'll soon be back on track. Enjoy your date night and have a good weekend. :console2:

Thanks for the kindness @DLR and @Lindylee :console2:

I’m not giving myself much of it today. I’m worrying again about the lack of bend and stiffness and swelling and everything I can’t do again. And the dreams every night when I do sleep are always about me kneeling or running or sitting cross legged and then I wake up crushed.
Sigh

I’m whiny today and I know it and not proud of it.

None of us feel proud of ourselves when we have one of those days, but it helps to get it out. Sometimes we need to have a good moan, shed a few tears and get it out of our system. You've been through a hell of a lot and it must seem never ending at times. You'll bounce back because that's the person you are. Just be kind to yourself and your knee for the time being. :console2:

The emotional ups and down are every bit as bad as the physical ones. Unfortunately, they are normal. But, boy do they hurt. Both of them! Allow yourself some down time both physically and emotionally. Remember, that you are not alone and you have loads of friends right here that are praying for you.

Well another day has dawned and I am out of that stupid mental funk thankfully (thanks to my knee family for those posts and dm’s... you were a huge help again).
:roseshwr:
I had a good cry last night and not too proud to admit I had a rather nasty temper tantrum out of frustration and beat a pillow to smithers :hissy:
I slept about 9.5 hrs actually sleeping incl waking up in a position on my TKR side I haven’t been in since surgery.
Today the weather was beautiful so hubs and I took off in the truck windows open and tunes blaring. Ran a TON of errands and just drove the backroads. Leg felt so good, bent easier in and out, walked well...... I give up figuring this out! :shrug:

I had a rather nasty temper tantrum out of frustration and beat a pillow to smithers :hissy:
Oh boy, I bet that felt good! But, not for the pillow. Good thing it wasn't hubs!

I slept about 9.5 hrs actually sleeping incl waking up in a position on my TKR side I haven’t been in since surgery.
Wow, nine and a half hours and then waking up on your surgery side. That is quite an improvement! Yippee!

Maybe you should get yourself a punch bag? Sounds like beating the life out that pillow did you good! I guess all that knee required was a rest and now it's good to go. Just take it easy on that track now,

Glad you had a good day.:flwrysmile:

I give up figuring this out
Lol, then stop trying to, no, seriously, don’t try to. I went through a period of time in the Fall when I was trying to figure out why my IT band seemed so sensitive to any kind of exercise activity. I eventually gave up cause it just frustrated me. Now I don’t even notice it about 98% of the time, which means it eventually resolved itself.

Enjoy these moments when all seems right with the world. Relish them, hold them dear, soon they will become more and more common.

Dear Madame President,
It sounds like the track will be a really good thing if you take it slowly. And it also sounds like your were mentally and physically exhausted.
Sincerely, Beachy
Ps.....we've all had some kind of meltdown/tantrum over the knees. Don't sweat it. It's a great release.
My 2¢ worth.

@beachy pictured that on official letterhead even.
:loll:
Ya I really am just so frustrated I go too far to see if I can do it. Sooo tired of baby steps.

@traceys, how do babies learn to run? Do they just get up and do it the first time? Of course not. First they scoot, then crawl, then a few tentative steps hanging on, fall (many times), a few more steps, then they toddle about (kind of where toddler comes from, eh?). Finally they are walking and running before you even realize it. Same goes for anyone who has had major leg and knee surgery or even a serious stroke. This all takes time, often more time than we like or want. Unfortunately, some never get there, but that’s rare. You will NOT be one of those! You will get there, you will achieve your goals. Just be patient but persistent.

@NavyGunns oh I know all that. I was just born without a “patience gene”

The one thing causing me the most stress is I have some dates looming in June (to a lesser degree) and then Sept/Oct/Nov that I HAVE to be walking and moving well by. If not I’m going to be missing out on a major life experience and it will break my heart. And it will subsequently also mess up someone else’s plans those dates.

I’ve been plateaued at 85 for 3 mnths now and my 6mnth is tomorrow.
I don’t see much more major improvement in my future. It is what it is.

You're just half of the way through a year-long recovery. With all your knee's history, it might take even longer. But, that means you have lots and lots more improvements coming! You WILL get there.

Lord knows we all heal differently and reading your recovery you certainly have cause to be frustrated. It's so easy to say baby steps and such but it's so much harder in the day to day struggle to stay positive but you do that quite well, certainly better then I could in the long term. Big hugs and a little prayer too you start getting the results you want and need. Feeling stuck is the worst.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562