TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

My surgeon prefers his patients to use a walking pole, so I bought one, but I didn’t like it, so I used a cane instead. I preferred the position of my hand on the cane as compared to the pole.

But many members here do like the walking poles. Do whatever you are more comfortable with.

@traceys I used walking poles on longish walks or over uneven ground for some years before my op and found them very helpful. They do take some pressure off the knees, but not as supportive as canes. I have wondered if 2 walking poles might be better than 1 cane as weight might be more evenly distributed. It might be worth getting a pair to try. Even if you didn't find they work for you now, they might be of use in the future. You could even test a pair in a shop before making a decision.
I've read some of your story and am full of admiration for how you cope with everything. Your story, and some of the others on here, make me feel very humble. I'm not sure I'd cope as well in the same circumstances.

@Lindylee thanks for the pole input. I did some research and think I will look into a set over the weekend. We have a major outdoor goods store near us so will pop in and test a few out
Thanks for the kind words. I never think of it as my story being a big deal because there are people in the world fighting way worse issues every day. It keeps me centred and my “problems” in perspective. There are some very inspirational people on here for sure! Im sure you have already touched someone’s story and didn’t even know it.

@DLR I’m out of benefits money for the yr and hubbys new job doesn’t have benefits so ....

My caseworker with long term insurance is seeing if they can get my pt fully covered tho as no one thinks I’m ready to go alone yet. I find out tomorrow when is see OS when he estimates my return to work now. If no change it’s monday.
Ha! :scare:

@Lindylee thanks for the pole input. I did some research and think I will look into a set over the weekend. We have a major outdoor goods store near us so will pop in and test a few out
I have a couple tips about poles. I had a bunch long before my knee went bad. Skiing, snowshoeing, trekking, running, etc. Post surgery, I used them quite a bit when transitioning from crutche(s).
1) Some have a removable rubber tip that can reveal a nice metal spike that works well for walking on icy sidewalks.
2)The "flicklock" lever type of adjusters are more secure, and easier to use, than the twisting mechanisms.
3)If you get ones with a big bulb, or flat mushroom, on the top of the handle (above your hand), you will have the option of shortening the pole and using your palm on top. Nice option, since you can take more weight that way, and multiple hand positions can lengthen the time before your hands get tired or sore.
4) poles in two sections (rather than three) don't go down as small if you need to carry them, but they are easier to adjust while in use. They have fewer junctions to break as well, so they might last longer.
5) The multi-section ones with a cord holding them together, fold down the smallest of any others. This is mainly important if you want to put them inside of a small daypack. Otherwise, it isn't worth the extra expense.
6) Some have a spring inside to reduce the shock on your hand. I don't think this benefits much, and I've had this
mechanism break, making the pole nearly useless.

Since I have to do some stairs, and walk 80 feet of rocky trail to get from my cabin door to the truck, I never used walker or a cane around home. I went from using a single crutch to poles. Poles are great on stairs!

Thanks @rustic and @alexthecat always best when you get opinions from someone who has used them as compared to just research online.

Side note : went to the new hair salon today. A new stylist. Aaannndddd I was able to bend my knee enough that I got it up on the little footrest bolted on the floor!! :yes!: It stuck a bit as I had hiking boots on but in socks would have been a breeze and sat that way the whole 30min.
New haircut and new optimism in one appt!!

Just home from the OS checkup at the hospital. All sorts of xrays and tests too.

All in all it went well. He was ahead of schedule and in no rush so we really talked.
1. Xrays look great. He said he’s very pleased with all that aspect and he even put all of my knee pictures since July 2015 on a disc for me to keep.
2. He met with my treatment team yesterday so he had the full scope of what has been happening and where I’m at and he said he was pleased with my progress even tho it’s incredibly slow but it’s still going forward. He expected it to be brutal with my history and said its definately not a fail in his mind.
3. He was a tad concerned I’m plateaued at 85-90 but said he wants to see if it keeps improving or if I’m functioning ok with it.
4. He says I’m about 5• short of full extension and he asked my team to work on that a bit more so my gait improves even more but he says it’s far from done.
5. The swelling still concerns him due to where it is so that’s being monitored.
6. He likes what he sees functional wise and was pleased to walk in and find me sitting how I was and that some nerves have come back online.

He then hugged me and told me to keep fighting and he will see me formally in May. :loveshwr:

I asked about return to work and he said my team will talk about that tomorrow with me at my appt as they were waiting for him to weigh in after seeing me today.

And... my caseworker called and they are paying for 8wks x 3x/wk of physio and massage no problem so I can continue going as I have been. They agree I’m no where ready to stop. She said they will revisit it then based on work situation.
:yes!:

Can’t wait for tomorrow now.

FB8F59CF-518B-4296-A35F-FF7A7DB792E4.jpeg

Last edited:
That sounds a very positive outcome, very encouraging. Great that you've been granted the additional physio too plus the added bonus of a hug. :friends:

@traceys, sounds like you had a great visit with your OS. He sounds like someone who has your back and is more interested in seeing slow but steady progress versus just focusing on a number.

Good news regarding your PT coverage. Good luck in your meeting with the rest of your team tomorrow.

Fantastic report, traceys! Your doctor sounds like a winner. The OK for more PT is really encouraging. Your xrays can sure show the extreme. Your knee is so much better now.

Tracey, that's wonderful news! All of it - and your doctor sounds like a great man. Oh, and the difference in your knee! It must feel so much better now. I'm very happy for you and your doc is right, it will keep getting better.

Home from pt and my treatment team meeting. Another day full of good news.....

So I am off work until at least mid April dependent on them feeling I can tolerate more movement and the knee swelling is controlled.

We also are focusing more on the extension so my plan is now more stretches and movements broken down to bare minimum components.

After they saw my hip xrays it was decided that being it’s a structural anatomical issue we won’t be trying to push that issue much more and more maintain the function and control the pain.

And they had me try some walking poles and :wow: what a difference! I felt so stable and upright and normal and he said my whole heel-toe motion changed. They are handling getting me the right style but until they come in I am using a set there to practice each appt.

Massage was actually not bad as it’s all about relaxing the tightness and releasing to fascia knots.

Wishing everyone a happy and productive weekend!
:wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom