TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

Whoa super star alert! Tough positions, too. I bet you miss it. Darn knees.

Hubs played softball for awhile. The games were fun, but it was basically a beer drinking league. Worked for me LOL!

Hey all. Just checking in from the deep freeze here. Windchills of -35 C (-31 F for my non metric friends). Massive winds and blowing snow. Freezing rain now by tomorrow morning. :headbang:

Leg is past just cranky past few days. Just tight and swollen feeling. Really odd snag-feeling inside when I try to bend and pain that is so reminiscent of before my surgery. To the point where I wondered why I had the surgery even. Still some flex but doesn’t seem as much as normal. Today I had massage and she said my calf muscles were rock hard on the lateral border. She asked if I was outside walking much past few days and was I holding my leg tight being afraid of slipping and falling.
:idea:
May also explain my complete inability to straighten my leg last week or so too. Was doing well there but not so much lately.

Hard to believe it’s heen 133 days since this recovery started. Seems like I have sooooo far to go still on days like this. I don’t think I’m ever gonna reach or pass the magic 90 flex.
I’m gonna go find junk food and have a good cry and try again tomorrow.
:bawl:

Last edited:
:console2::console2:
Do you think the stormy weather is affecting your leg? Storms don’t seem to affect me quite as much as warm weather rain storms, but my does knee ache in cold weather.
She asked if I was outside walking much past few days and was I holding my leg tight being afraid of slipping and falling.
:idea:
I think we also tighten up just because we’re cold! And those temperatures you just mentioned are absolutely frigid!!!

I wish I could stay inside until May!

Good grief that's cold!! Sorry to see your having a bit of a rough go. I always look forward to reading your post. Grab that junk food, cry it out and tomorrow is another day. I'm not a sad person but I've certainly done my share of whining. You hang in there!

Horribly cold weather you’re enduring, yuck. I’m sorry to hear you’re having a bit of a setback, I know how disappointing and frustrating that is. Definitely time for some comfort food!

Those are some cold temperatures for sure. Like Jockette, I have noticed both my knees get cranky when weather is changing. If you think about what your PT pointed out it does follow. Monday they hadn’t cleared the ice in the parking lot at work when I got to PT everything was terribly tight. Hope you bounce back pretty quickly and it warms up.

This Wisconsin girl remembers temperatures like that (and has the accessories to cope) and doesn’t miss them at all! Things like... car engines refusing to turn over, outside doors that refuse to open or do so reluctantly, windows that won’t open and locks that won’t turn. It’s no surprise knee replacements might get a little cranky, too, despite being in a nice warm body.

My winters aren’t nearly as cold, but the first winter after my knees were replaced both of them were more achy. That surprised me, because they’d been quite free of pain for a month or two. And then the temperatures got seriously cold and—achy. A kind of deep, odd ache unlike my old arthritic knees. Unlike post-op pain. I don’t know what caused the ache— it’s an interesting idea that it might have been the super-tentative way I walked on snowy or icy surfaces— but the discomfort was on and off and went away after that first winter. It hasn’t returned this winter at all after another full year of healing, and I can also say I’m walking normally again. Got back my confidence on ice and snow! Maybe that helps too.

Which is all to say Hang In There! You have lots of healing still to take place. :friends:

Windchills of -35 C (-31 F
When it's that cold who cares whether is C or F! That's too darn cold! I bet the cold is aggravating your knee. We had -13F last winter, (that's unheard of in SE Virginia!), after a snow storm and I had to shovel snow off the steps and walkway. The cold went all the way into my implant and it took me hours to get rid of the pain. The cold could very well be hurting your knee. I pray it goes away quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they're old-fashioned, but my mother knitted knee warmers after her TKRs. She said that wearing those during the winter made her knees feel much more comfortable.

Ugh. We had wind chills of single digits a few days ago. Howling wind. I thought my knee ached from the recumbent bike. Maybe it was the cold. Still aches. Finally broke down and started icing. Brrrr.....

Temps here are plunging into the low 40's f overnight. That's nearing the death zone! We barely reached 60 f today. Some people have been forced to abandon their flip flops for actual shoes. Happily a warming trend is here. I was worried about the new blooms on the tulip trees....

(sorry!).

Need your knowledge people:

I know warmth in a joint is a sign of inflammation.
Since day one my TKR has never been normal temp again. No redness but there is a spot on the medial side of patella where that pain on flex is, it’s still puffy and still warmer than rest of knee.

Is this something I should contact OS about or do others still have hot knees? I see him feb 21st but can get him sooner if needed. Started taking 1 Celebrex 200mg again as of this am. Surprisingly have not had any TKR meds for almost a week now despite my current glitches. And down to icing once a day for an hour more towards end before bed.

I really hope this blah period passes soon

@traceys my hot spot travels up and down my incision depending on who knows what! The area at the top of my scar, on my fat thigh seems more swollen than the rest but that could also just be fat. Lol

@sistersinhim Definitely not hot and only red is my kaleidoscope scars.

(Should post a pic one day of that knee with all 18 scars. Looks like a roadmap of Canada now with the transcanada front and centre! :snork:)

The geek side of me actually used a baby forehead thermometer and it’s 1.5-2 degrees difference.

Been researching dry needling today. My pt does acupuncture and asked if I want to try. Then read on here a few people had dry needling with great results. :what:

Hubs is "resting comfortably" and thanks for asking. This is the last part of the 6 week recovery . He will be good as new in a week. Well, not like new. But, whatever :rotfl:.
I need a vaykay. And wine.:heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom