Lounge Doctor

THR Trying to understand recovery from anterior hip replacement

Eman85

supremo
Country
United States United States
I still get stiffness in both hips, but I get stiiffness in other joints too. The stiffness goes away with movement just have to get the juices flowing. The best thing for me is easy stretches and yoga, not straining just lightly stretching.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@brez , since you're still hobbling, you need to keep on using the cane. There's no time by which you should give it up. It's just a tool, to support you and help you to walk correctly.

Use the cane, but try not to lean on it.
Practice walking slowly, using a heel to toe gait and making sure you push off with your toes, especially your big toe.
This picture illustrates heel-toe gait:
heel-toe-gait.jpg

Dilewis

Country
Cyprus Cyprus
Hi.. I'm 68 years old and had an anterior hip replacement on 11/20. I sort of had the feeling that I read the brochure and drank the kool aid expecting a faster recovery, particularly even walking, after three months. While I'm pain free and still rehabbing, walking distances is tough and my gait is anything but normal. My surgeon and physical therapist suggest I'm doing o.k. but i thought, based on what i read about the procedure, that walking and over coming de conditioning would have been much easier and much further along.
So the reason I've joined this forum, is in a sense, to compare notes and find out how others have done at the three month point.. and why??
I'm working at it but my gait is not right, my foot striking is awkward and I'm wondering, when and if this changes.... please let me know your thoughts

thank you
I had my surgery 12/21 and still have a hard time when I first get up from sitting. I was like you and thought I could feel nothing after. WRONG. my back is a big issue but hopefully that will lesson . I guess we need to go slow and easy , which is hard
I had my surgery Dec 3rdi am still limping and walking with a gait that is now giving me awful back ache
can sleep on op side but not more an hour at a time finding it hard non op side is now painful to lie on too. Thought i would be getting better by now but seem to be getting worse

hopnfox

Country
United States United States
I'm 6 months out, and have good and bad days. I also had a limp, but found that new shoes, and walking on a treadmill with no incline helped. I still have to concentrate on the heel/toe walk, but am feeling much better. It is a crazy recovery for sure, and everyone heals at their own rate. I too thought it would be faster, but it has been a crazy ride for sure. This was SO much harder than my spine surgeries ever were. Don't get discouraged, hang in there, and keep moving!! Best of luck!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LisaM
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom