THR Dlt on the other side!

Dlt

Country
United States United States
I'm new to this site. I was told I need a right hip replacement surgery. My orthopedic surgeon told me I needed to wait as long as I can. I'm considered to be too young. He said this surgery is not a surgery they like to do more than once. My question is do I have surgery while I'm in good shape or wait till I really can't walk?
Thanks!

@Dit Please find a different surgeon who is not so mired in the past! Hip replacement parts these days are lasting and lasting and lasting - and even some old ones have been in place for 30+ years! Nope do not wait until you cannot walk - the longer you wait the more out of shape the muscles get and the longer it will take you to recuperate and return to your preferred activities. If you look over on the recovery side you will see threads by people who have had hip replacements - people in their -70s, 60s, 50s, 40ss, 30s - and even some in their 20s and a few in their teens! And actually it is between 50-60 when that many people do need hip replacement. If your hip is bad enough now that it needs replacing it is NOT going to get better and if it is already bone-on-bone that kind of pain is NOT managed with medications.

Hello and welcome. You'll get a lot of support here and some very straight advice from heaps of us who have trodden your path. I completely agree with @djklaugh that you need to find another surgeon who is not steeped in the Middle Ages of hip surgery! There are plenty out there who will happily take you on. The facts speak for themselves - you've been told you need a hip replacement so that is what you need to pursue. The longer you wait the worse it will be and you are far more likely to make an improved recovery if you don't delay. Best wishes with your search and keep in touch with us so we can lighten your journey to better health.

@Dlt Don't wait! I waited 3 years for my first THR. It meant a longer and more complicated recovery. djklaugh and Miss Muffet are right - find a more up to date surgeon who will address your quality of life not your birth certificate. Life is too short to wait in pain.

Don't wait. Live you life, every day to the fullest. The sooner you start recovery, the sooner you'll be done and back to life.

Just another comment about not waiting. The pain can increase to almost unbearable quickly and without warning as you will see if you read some of the stories here. I had to wait for my surgeon's opening 7m and it was torture on top of already having major limitations and pain while it was figured out that it was my hip and not my back. You already have a diagnosis so go ahead and deal with it so you can return to full life activities. Best wishes on making the decision and finding an OS that understands you are ready now and need to have this now.

Do not wait. Find another surgeon. Come back to us when you have your surgery date and you will be helped every bit of the way. Had my first THR at 52. I am 60 and 14 days post op.

I was 57 when I had both knees replaced 58 and 59 when I had each hip replaced. Why wait until you are a cripple? Why suffer with the pain. You need a new surgeon. Mine had no problems with my age . He was concerned with my mobility.

51 and going in a week today. I agree that it is not a good idea to wait. I have waited a few months too long (my fault not OS!) and the pain is now excruciating. I also get referred pain everywhere. Muscles learning bad habits. I wish I had done it before Christmas. It gets bad fast when it goes. Good luck with your decision.
All the best!
Sam
TLHR Feb 20th 2017

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

I'm your age, and I was told, "If you can stand it", my surgeon would have liked to wait 1-2 years to replace my left hip, but I've decided I did not want to wait til I am more disabled and in unbearable pain to meet someone else's timeline. I wonder how many of our surgeons have experienced the pain we live with.

@Dlt.
Hi there and welcome to a great community.
I'm with everyone here and would say find a good OS who'll do the job now for you. I was diagnosed with OA in both hips at 49. My OS wanted to operate straight away but I felt I wasn't in enough discomfort. He told me to go away and come back when I want them done. I asked how would I know and he said Oh you'll know. Boy was he right. Age now is not really the main determinant its lack of mobility and pain. If your Hip is limiting your life then get it done regardless of age. In all probability the hip you get now will last you the rest of your life so why put off the pain free feeling.
I'm so glad I have mine done and would say to you find another OS who has no qualms doing your surgery, get it done and enjoy the rest of your life with a pain free hip.
Keep Well.
Joe..........

Thank you for replying. I appreciate all the input. I will keep you posted.

I'm 49, I need a LTHR. My surgery was booked for this Thursday but I cancelled it as I felt like I was currently managing my pain and my surgeon told me to come back when I was in agony.

I went away and thought long and hard about it and having had in the past the dreadful pain, uncomfortable nights, three cortisone injections and heaps of physio, I thought that actually I don't want to wait until the crippling pain comes back and possibly worse than before. I've rebooked my surgery for March 23rd. Feel relieved albeit still very anxious about the surgery, however I'm staying as mobile, fit and strong as possible so hopefully that will help the rehab.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you for replying. I appreciate all the input. I will keep you posted.

I found a surgeon I really like and only does replacement. He works out of an orthopedic hospital. I have an appointment on 9/15 to set up for surgery.

Hi @Dlt, that is excellent news.
I'm 38 and on a waiting list to get my right hip replaced. Don't wait; get it done rather sooner than later and get on with enjoying life.
Susan :flwrysmile:

Well done @Dlt ! Please keep us updated!

@Dlt I am 4 months out from BTHR and oh so happy they didn't think 53 was too young. If 20-30 years from now something has to be redone, I've had the best part of my life free of OS pain.
Good for you for exercising your right to have a better quality of life. We are rooting for you.

Hi @Dlt, I'm 57 and met yesterday with a wonderful surgeon who put the surgery readiness question in a different light for me, taking it from a decision based mainly on physical factors to a simple holistic question. He said, as you have probably heard many times, that you will know when you are ready for surgery, but he added that the readiness threshold could be that point in time when your hip is something that you think about/worry about/consider more than a few times a day. When your hip takes over your mental landscape, even if the physical pain and limitations are bearable, it could be time.

I hope you can talk to another surgeon to get a different viewpoint. The first surgeon I saw had a much less nuanced view of surgery readiness.

And I can't emphasize how helpful this site has been in figuring out what to do. Keep posting and reading!

Oops! Good news, @Dlt!
Sorry- I had missed seeing your update when I wrote my post. Best wishes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks