THR Trista - Catering for Thanksgiving?

Trista

Country
United States United States
I am researching how I will be feeling post op for a TRHR at the 4-5 week stage. I usually host Thanksgiving (25+ years) for 25. Nurse and a couple others thought I could handle with help. From everything I've read with fatigue this could be over whelming. I'm worried about doing too much. I'm really thinking I am in over my head and just need to cancel. This is keeping me awake at night. I guess I could be feeling pretty good by Thanksgiving but that doesn't mean hosting. Looking for reassurance...

My guess is you would probably pull it off and then suffer for days afterward for doing too much. Maybe someone in the group could step up and cover for you this year?

From everything I've read with fatigue this could be over whelming. I'm worried about doing too much. I'm really thinking I am in over my head and just need to cancel.
Hi @Trista
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should and if it's worrying you now, and you're the kind of person that would feel inept with everyone over at your house doing everything (I am) might be better to err on the side of caution and think about Christmas (if you celebrate)
I hope you please start a thread so others can comment on any concerns and it won't derail this thread.
Click on the above highlighted text for instructions.
We can help if you find this a problem.

Trust that dread you're feeling.

Moving around with a cane inside requires lots of concentration and focus and it can be easy to trip and fall. And the kinds of small but constant movements you'd be making as a host, such as turns, talking to this person and that, can easily make your hip angry. You'd probably do a lot of bending and lifting--even if you try not to. And when a recovery hip gets angry, it throws a real tantrum afterwards--can be pain for days.

Much better would be for you to try to attend such a gathering set up and run by other people. That's much more reasonable. And the truth is, you want your friends and family to be waiting on you for early weeks of recovery--not you putting on a show for them.

I say trust that dread or fear you're feeling right now--that's your body's alarm system giving you a clear answer. Once you notify people that you will not be hosting the dinner because of your surgery, they'll all understand. And you'll accomplish something else. You will have alerted these folks to the surgery and they are likely to offer to run errands or bring food for you. Suggestion: take them up on those offers.

@Trista - I have moved your post and the responses to it from AngelWillie's thread, as it had hijacked her thread. Each person has their own thread, where the emphasis is one their concerns. OK?

At 4-5 weeks post-op, you will not be recovered enough to be catering Thanksgiving for 25 people. It's time to ask someone else to do it this year, as you will still be in the early stages of this year-long recovery.

Your recovery is your time to think first of your new hip and what you need to do to help it heal. Ask for help, and take all the help you can get.

This article may help you to understand what you should expect to be doing at various stages of your recovery:
Activity progression for THRs

I agree and you should go with your gut that you’d be in over your head trying to pull that off. Even if you were feeling up to it you may be disappointed by a possible lack of energy compared to other years as your body heals from major surgery.

You probably will be feeling pretty good by then so why not give yourself a pass this year, put your feet up and let others take over. Sounds like you’ve earned it given you normally host that large group. Cancel now giving ample time for Plan B and stop losing precious sleep over it. Orders from Headquarters :heehee: Blame us, we’ll back you :wink:

Wishing you comfort as you await your big day!
@Trista

I would definitely not host. At 4 weeks it is pushing your body and recovery. I had a hard time sitting for any length of time at that stage as well as being tired. I am sure your friends/family will understand.

I also agree. I’m 5 weeks out this week and even though I feel good I wouldn’t be able to host Thanksgiving. It’s a very stressful dinner and if your like me you’d want it just perfect. No way couldn’t do it. Pass the torch for this year.

I had my 2nd THR in Nov. and people asked me about Thanksgiving, it was no problem for me. All I had to do was eat and rest though. I don't think I'd even want to think about tackling the shopping,prepping and cooking and then hosting a big affair like that. Play the I just had a hip replacement card and enjoy Thanksgiving.

I agree! At 5 weeks post #2 I was (uncomfortably) able to fly for 1.5 hours then directly to a bus for another 2.5 hours, to participate in my mother in law's memorial service and the huge (catered! Prepped by the kids not me!) family get-together after. But if I'd had to do anything besides play my flute, it would not have gone well.
So I definitely wouldn't want to host a large gathering at 4-5 weeks! A year from now you'll be rarin' to go.
There is another consideration, or has recently been for me anyway. I had an outpatient hernia repair June 4, and was quite firmly encouraged to isolate myself for the first 30 days of my recovery, so I wouldn't become a pandemic statistic. So I stayed away from even those whom we'd been consistently seeing pre-op (my "pod"? That makes me laugh lol)

Thank you all for your responses. I think I really knew the answer but needed that affirmation. My husband decided to cancel after seeing the stress of just thinking about it. I think we both came to our senses. Again Thank you and I'll start my thread on post op in 2 1/2 weeks

Again Thank you and I'll start my thread on post op in 2 1/2 weeks

Yes! Please join us on the Recovery side once you’re post op and resting comfortably at home. We look forward to following your journey and supporting you as you begin healing. Wishing you many moments of comfort over the next twelve days.

Hey @Trista :wave:
I hope you’re hanging in there. Relief is coming soon! :yes: Monday will be here in the blink of an eye and you can say goodbye to hip pain as brighter days are on their way. :SUNsmile:
Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and recovery. Wishing you peace and comfort as you await October 19th.

Your time is almost here to get rid of that misbehaving hip. :flwrysmile:
Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the shiny :SUNsmile: (recovery) side when you are up to posting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts