Revision THR Triple Hippy- Revision smoothly over<

Hi @Layla
Yes this suggestion it was but I don’t think it will help to get my operated leg up on the bed. I don’t have yet full control of the leg and kind of afraid of dislocation in case I do a wrong movement

Another question
Though I will check with my OS, how long did you ise the TED socks? I can’t tolerate them at night in the bed!

Forgot to mention the leg lifter, or even a bathrobe belt will work to lift your leg up onto the bed once you're in position.

Compression socks - you will hear varying opinions on this topic. I was instructed to wear mine for three weeks, 20 hrs out of every 24. I will admit that the four hour break stretched as time marched on. At two weeks I could no longer tolerate them and called the office of my OS to get permission to "lose" them. The PA told me they're happy if people wear them at least half of the time they prescribe. I'm guessing they assume most won't wear them as instructed and set the timeline high for just that reason? Please do check with your OS though and see what he advises. Ask if you can skip wearing them overnight. I know they're miserable. We pretty much all agree on that, but they do serve a purpose.
Hope this helps.
@sansaba

You're Welcome!

I had to pick up my noncooperative log leg and put it in bed for several weeks.
I didn't have any concerning underlying medical issues and got up for very short walks often...my legs were constantly needing to be moving to stay comfortable...
Unfortunately, my TEDS got lost in the wash after the first week:shrug:

You sound like you are doing so well. I think the visualization and meditation are very helpful for calming the nerves. Yoga breathing really saved me with this surgery. Keep up the great work!

Hi @Hip Hip Hooray!
İt has been 11 days since my “revision” surgery
Progress is slower compared to THR of my other hip 5 years ago. İ have limitations to put full weight for 6 weeks.
İ am not doing well all of the time. İ was more prepared this time yet İ still have post op blues and pain from time to time despite taking meds on time and icing etc.
The most difficult part is waiting, waiting in the dark, the clouds to pass, it is difficult...
İ know it will pass though this time it takes longer, much longer İ suppose.

I remember for my original THR, the first two weeks were definitely the worst. After that, I started to feel more human and more like getting outside and doing things (well, at least anything that didn't require bending over and picking things up). You are only 11 days out, so you are still in the raw period. When do you see the surgeon for the post-op exam? That is bound to be reassuring. I have just a few days left to wait for my revision. Yikes, it's getting close now!

@prairienut
Hi Dear,
Yes you are right I am still in the early days and just as before the narcotic analgesics make me a bit dizzy and tired, I can not focus on reading a book and feel impatient from time to time. Actually the recovery period of revision is just the same as THR. The only difference this time is, I am not allowed to put full weight for 6 weeks and the precaution while sitting and getting up frightened me a bit. (My fear of dislocation)
My first appointment is tomorrow on the 2nd of Jan which is 2 weeks post surgery. I will let you know.
I do feel much better compared to yesterday and the day before. I was afraid to turn on my side but could not resist any more and since then I am able to slee better. I think most of the problems are in my mind, my fears and worries; otherwise recovery is on track...
I am sure you will have a smooth and sound surgery on the 3rd of Jan. Spinal anestesia worked really well for me. I will be thinking and sending positive energy to you on the 3rd:flwrysmile:

Happy New Year, sansabosa
All the best to you in 2019!
Let us know how your appt goes tomorrow.
Glad to read you're feeling better the past couple days.
@sansabosa

:wave:Hope this year brings you healing and happiness, friend.
Post on blues and all the physical trauma...Not Fun!
Still super early days ..hang in there:console2:

Today is my 2 weeks post op and my first check up visit to my OS
Overall all went well and the OS is satisfied with the outcome.
Getting in and out of the car was easier than I had expected. The drive to the hospital was ok as well, it took only 25 minutes. The hospital environment seemed a bit crowded and fast paced to me, probably it was the first time I am out since I came back from surgery.
Basically they took off the aquacell cover and left the wound open. The wound area looks fine.
I had some questions to the OS. I asked about dislocation risk. He basically said that with standard THR it is around 0.1% and with revision it is like 1%. He rearticulated that I need be careful at sitting and getting up, not bending and twisting (internal rotation) my hip. I asked how long and he advised up to 12 weeks especially.
Last time, 5 years ago, with my other hip (R-THR) I started to go back to work at 3-4 weeeks, starting with 2-3 hours/day and increasing gradually. But this time I will take my time, as it is revision (L) and I do not want to risk anything. I asked the assistant of the OS how long do you give official report with standart THR versus revision. His response was 6 weeks for standart THR and 12 weeks for revision surgery of the one that I had.
I asked about the pool, the OS mentioned I can start next week yet it has to be the type of pool with stairs not to bend my hip with the standart ones. He also did not insist with the PT yet advised that I do the abductor/adductor exercise by myself at least.
Next visit is 4 weeks from now which is 6 weeks post up and I hope I will be free of double crutches at that visit...
@prairienut Good luck tomorrow with your revision. I will be thinking of you and sending you positive vibes

Thank you, @sansabosa, for the good wishes. I just got my surgery time. I am to be at HSS at 10 AM, surgery at 1 PM. I'll be heading down to NYC in a few hours by bus with my son. I will post again after I get home, probably on Sunday. Glad your appointment went well. I suppose I'll have the same restrictions as you. Did you have both components replaced?

Did you have both components replaced?
@prairienut I just had the acetabular component and the ball replaced (delta ceramic, the pink one) and a sleeve (thats what he mentioned) inserted which is adaptor part to the taper/cone between the stem and the ball. Thus, only the stem part is left unchanged
You’ll do fine, HSS is the best worldwide. Who is your OS?
Good luck, all the best

The OS is Dr. Bradford Waddell. He is a young surgeon but hid numbers are good, and he does a good percentage of revisions. He has my confidence. Plus he did a great job explaining what was going on with my hip and what he planned to do.

Hi there,
Great news on your post op visit.
Interesting that the dislocation risk for THR and revision are similar. That must be comforting.
Recovery protocol can vary so much from OS to OS. Mine advises no baths, pools, hot-tubs, lakes etc for three months post op! I guess when we choose our OS we not only put our life in their hands but trust their recovery protocol also. You're doing great. Keep it up. Sweet dreams tonite!
@sansabosa

:wave: @sansabosa
Tired of this yet!?
I hope you are doing well and you are trying to be patient.
Sending healing hugs your way!:yahoo:

@Mojo333
Hi there
If you are asking about the TED socks, yes I am sick of them but I have a stent in my coronary artery, I’ll bear with them for another week. I forgot to ask to my OS yesterday during my first visit about the TED socks...
My major challenge at this point is “patience” until week 6 for my next visit, I hope I will be able to release one crutch by then and have green light for full weight bearing.
The other problem I have is, I can not sleep at night unless I take Xanax or a similar which I no longer prefer/want to. I already used it for 2-3 weeks prior to surgery and a couple of days after surgery.
Maybe I should re-schedule the sequence of my pain killers as I fall sleep during the day after taking geralgineK which has codeine +paracetamol. The codeine makes me dizzy and fall asleep easily...
Any tips for sleep at night?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom