Revision THR Triple Hippy- Revision smoothly over<

I'm enjoying following your posts. Being gentle with one's self, positive thoughts and visualization are all so helpful in many aspects of life. You express it well while including how medical care is complementary to healing.

Thanks @Lola's Mom, we are not alone in this journey.

Today was post op day 4 and definetely it has been a better day compared to the previous one!

Although I did not have a good night sleep at and woke up miserable (post op blues is a fact, dont feel sad about it but passes instantly) my first shower at home immediately shifted my mood and made me feel really good )))
They did offer me at the hospital on day 2 just before discharge to give me a shower but I thought I would feel more confortable at home.
Today I also realized that my ease of movement while getting up from bed, recliner or toilet set was less painful compared to yesterday. Otherwise pain is under control with icing and meds on time.
My incision is posterolateral and I feel the pain and soreness on my gluteal muscle yet I also feel its healing each day.
The only problem I had yesterday was, I slightly injured my shoulder while trying to sit slowly pressing on the crutches in an awkward position...thus I had one more ice pad on my shoulder the whole day today in addition to my hip. This kind of demoralized me for a couple of hours. I was advised by my OS partial weight bearing for 6 weeks this time and I could not put my weight on one of my shoulder, on the crutch...Its better now, thanks to God! Ice works!

Good to hear that each day is better than the previous, even if not by a lot. I have been on crutches for the past month, so I can sympathize that they are hard on the shoulders. Do you have an uncemented prosthesis? Is that why you are partial load-bearing for the 6 weeks? I wonder if I will have that restriction, too. Keep up the god work on resting, elevating, icing, and meds on time!

Hi @prairienut
I have cementless prosthesis from 20 years ago (done in Houston Methodist) and the OS in Istanbul did not change the stem part, it was strongly held around the bone he mentioned, just had the cup and the acetabular component changed during this revision surgery.
The prosthesis that was inserted 20 years ago is no longer on the market and was recalled in 2005. Yet I was pretty content up until recently. Mine was probably Ok )))
The main drawback has been bone loss (osteolysis) due to polyethilene nature of the acetabular head of the 20 yr implant. Thus the OS inserted some bone greft up in the head section and had to fix the new delta ceramic “pink” cup from the sides only not on the upper section where he implanted bone greft. Thus his advise is weight bearing to the extent that I can tolerate for 6-8 weeks and be extremely careful not to put weight while sitting and getting up where it is fragile...
Nevertheless, my each hip and each surgery has been different and I believe this one will recover as well just patience and positive will.

Today has been much better than yesterday in all regards. The only funny thing is I fall asleep an hour after each pain medication )))

You have a great attitude which will surely help with your recovery. Sleep is a good antidote for the trauma your body has suffered so I see that as a good thing! I am having all parts replaced, the main offender being the femoral implant. It will be interesting to see what my restrictions will be. I had been exercising at the gym regularly up until about 5 weeks ago so I'm hoping some of the muscle tone is still there to aid in my recovery.

@prairienut
Hi dear
5 days a week, at the gym, wov! Impressive! How did you manage that? I am a bit frightened with the gym devices since a year or so with my current condition... not to harm myself
Aqua gym and just practicing in the pool helped me a lot both in terms of cardio as well as leg muscles and joints. But the last couple of days I had upper respiratory tract infection and just stopped prior to surgery not to get any kind of infection from the pool
You’ll be fine just like me
It is just like the maintenance of the cars...we are having maintenance and repair at certain mileage )))

Oh no, only 2-3 days a week at the gym, and I had to stop when the femoral implant gave way five weeks ago. I mostly did not use the machines but the mats with body-weight exercises, functional exercises, yoga positions, and small weights for the arms and shoulders. I avoided any moves that bothered my hip (now I know why those moves hurt). My trainer believes we are better off using the machines only sparingly. I suppose I could still go and do the upper body things, but it's just so hard getting around with the crutches. Can't wait to get back to being active again.

:santaclap:Congratulations on your successful revision! We were probably here together after your last surgery and mine as your user name seems familiar to me. It's reassuring to read how long your hip has lasted over the years from your surgery 20 years ago. I also loved your description of the journaling you did before surgery and writing in the present as if the surgery had already happened successfully, so powerful! I hope that your recovery continues to go smoothly.

:flwrysmile:Take care,
Cardie

@C Mac
Hi Cardie
So nice to pop into each other and to hear from you
I also remember your user name and avatar for sure.
I was at bone smart in early 2013 when I had my other hip replaced.
How have you been doing? Is your R hip Ok? And the knees?
Thank you for your nice wishes
All the best

:hi: @sansabosa
Hope today is a good day...Merry Christmas wishes and healing hugs:santa hug:

@sansabosa it sounds like your recovery is going very well so that is great! It takes patience to get through recovery as when it is us, we feel like we should be doing more but that will come as you well know since you’ve already been through this twice before. You are a pro!! Sending healing thoughts your way and wishes for a Merry Christmas!!

Today, it has been 1 week since the surgery:
Many positives
  • Pain is under control
  • Sleep is better
  • Walking is much better ( I put a mirror in our hallway to track my walking)
  • Getting in and out of bed is easier
  • The pain I feel (like the dentist touching your nerve) when I put more than the weight I should is getting less
And there are still some areas of developments
  • Mood swings still happens, suddenly bursting into tears, sense of being dependent
  • Soreness on the gluteus muscle even only after an hour of sitting in my recliner
  • Fear of “what ifs” in my mind...
Still positives are more than the negatives :good-bad:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All:reindeersleigh

Only one week..so much temporary recovery frustrations.
Please try not to what if (easy for me to say now, I know)
Healing hugs :loveshwr:

Indeed, its only one week and life is getting much better:flwrysmile:

I can’t help finding myself in “moody” spirit but the good part is it passes quickly :wave:

Recovery is just darn frustrating! You mind says go and your body says no. Early days - hang in there. Live is about to get a whole lot better! Patience prescribed in large doses!

Are you still doing any of the journaling that you did before surgery - maybe that would still be helpful. :loveshwr:Also, which meditation music app do you use? I have used Insight Timer over the years and have found all sorts of different things that are interesting to listen to - it would have been a great app to have during my recovery time!

My R hip is doing fine after a long period of adapting, adjusting and just plain old healing. My knee is good as well, it was a torn meniscus that happened at surgery and it took a while to heal and a lot of glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplementing.

I think it's pretty normal during those initial weeks to have those "what if" worries during all that time spent sitting around. Just gotta find some other stuff to distract your brain!:froggies:

Take care,
Cardie

@C Mac
Hi Cardie
So nice to hear from you again
I agree with you about finding things to distract one’s mind. Music helps. I also have insight timer app and have found lots of alternatives there. I downloaded Albums of “Deuter” (east of the full moon) and of “Frederic Delaure” (soaring with the angels). These 2 have helped me to relax and even to fall asleep.
I feel a lot of energy drain these days which I know are normal. I’ve been there before. All the narcotic analgesics which I’ve been taking restrain me to focus on reading a book or even journaling which I did before the surgery...I start the day ok but towards the afternoon its like my battery is 3%. In these instances I feel pain while walking probably the loss of power in my arms and shoulders. (I have limited weight bearing for 6 wks this time)
My first appointment is on the 2 nd of January, two weeks after surgery. Looking forward to get some affirmative comments from the doctor that all is on track.

@Layla
Hi dear
I remember either you or somebody else mentioning an easy way to get into the bed. Do you mind reminding me?
I still have a hard time to do it by myself and I find it hard in my heart to wake my husband at night especially...

Hi there, I hope you're having a good day!
I suggested a plastic trash bag recently to someone who was having difficulty swiveling into position. Place on the bed where you'll sit to get into position. Sit on it, swivel, into position, then remove it. Not sure if this is what you're referencing, if not, let us know and we'll try to help.
A peaceful night to you! :sleep:
@sansabosa

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie