Revision THR Triple Hippy- Revision smoothly over<

sansabosa

senior
Country
Turkey Turkey
Hi dear bonesmarties,
I call myself ‘’triple hippy’’ as of today
I had L-THR 20 years ago and R-THR 5 years ago and as of today, my L-THR is REVISED, smooth and sound so far
It has been just 4-5 hours since I came to my room from the surgery. They already made me walk a bit, sit on high seat for 15 minutes and use the WC.
The OS paid a visit and mentioned that all is fine. Same precautions apply as with the THR he mentioned...
I am following the mantra diligently; icing, resting, pain med on time...
But above all the positive vibe here has helped me a lot ✨

Welcome to the other side (again)! So glad your op went well. I look forward to following your journey.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to if needed:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats Triple Hippy! Welcome to Recovery :welome:
It sounds like you have the drill down. So I'll just wish you all the best for now
and check in on you later. I hope your day is a peaceful one!
@sansabosa

Some helpful tools that helped me with my anxiety in the last couple of weeks which I became aware of today after surgery are as follows:
I took notes every day for 15 days before the surgery as if the surgery is over and I am in good shape and dreaming or doing whatever I wanted...this exercise kind of helped me to have a positive mindset and get over with my anxiety
Another helpful tool has been to learn and exercise transformational breathing technique with a meditative music in the background.

One additional precaution with this revision surgery versus standart THR to my right hip 5 years ago, is partial weight bearing for the next 6 weeks as there has been some bone graft applied to the acetabular component. Need to use to use double crutches until then
I'm not in a hurry anyway

Sounds like they did a careful and thorough job for you. They're proud of their work and want you to take care of it.

I am getting plenty of practice with double crutches these seven weeks prior to my revision so I should be good and ready for several weeks of partial weight bearing if that is what I need. I am in no hurry, either, especially if it promotes my long-term recovery.

:happydance::happydance::happydance:
triple happy for you!
Hope you will be home soon so you can get comfy!
2019 will be a great year!:yes!:

Glad you had some helpful tools leading up to surgery.
It certainly is an anxious time for most. It's a great feeling to have it in the rear view.
When you're up to it, maybe you can find some anxious newbies on the pre-op side to share your tips with.
There are many there nervously awaiting their date and looking for encouragement and inspiration.
I hope you have a great end to your week and a very Merry Christmas!
@sansabosa

Thanks to all Jaycey, Mojo333, Layla, Lola's Mom, WhyAskMe, prairienut

Today was post-op day 1. It was tougher compared to day 0 in terms of pain; most probably they lower the dose of the narcotic analgesics in the IV form and switch to orals. But its is tolerable 4-5/10.

I had some walking tours in the corridor each time with slight progress. Every 2 hours icing applied by the nurses.

Getting out of the bed and getting up from the chair or high toilet seat is slightly difficult due to soreness on the gluteus muscles. My incision is postero-lateral.

The OS mentioned he will discharge me most probably tomorrow on post op day 2
Tomorrow will be a better day

Today, it is post op day 2 and they discharged me. Pain level is around 3/10.
Physiotherapist showed a couple of modest exercises to do by myself. We will not start with the physiotherapy immediately.

All seems to be ok in general, I just feel slightly tired and sleepless. At the end revision surgery is a major one and I’ll take my time, no need to rush.

:hi:
It will be good to get home and try to get comfortable (as possible right now)
This is the rough part...was for me!
Restorative sleep and ice is all that's necessary right now anyway.
A few short walks to the restroom will do for Exercise:yes:
Make sure you keep your meds on time even if you have to wake to do it...husband can help with this I'm guessing? Stay ahead of that pain!
Hugs :friends:

@sansabosa just checking to see how you are doing now that you are home. Hope you are able to ice and elevate and can get some much needed rest.

@sansabosa Congratulations! Thank you for posting your tips on what you did for anxiety pre surgery. I have written them down and will take them to heart.
Wishing you an easy recovery.

Hi all
Today, its post op day 3
I woke up at home this morning and it was wonderful. I had an uninterrupted sleep.
Took medications on time, applied icing on time as well and I felt very comfortable. I set my iphone alarm for the medications, it helped

Yesterday, it was tough for a couple of hours between the discharge and settling in at home because medication intervals as well as icing was not done properly during that period but its all over now.

Another good news was the WC part of which I have had no problems before but due to narcotic analgesics I assume was kind of preventing bowel movements. Prunes and proper dieting solved that as well. Home sweet home. Tomorrow will be a better day

Thank you lotusbuds for your wishes

It has been difficult to wait for months until the surgery and during that period I needed to maintain my well being. Swimming exercises did helped me a lot for my body.
I wished I knew about transformational breathing earlier. I just started practicing it only a month before surgery and it did help to a certain extent.

But the most pragmatic one was the shift I made in my mind by visualizing and writing positive things every single day as if the surgery is over which I started doing 2 weeks before surgery. That really helped me to ease my anxiety. I hope my experiences serve you as well

Dear @Jaycey
I am doing much better on day3
Resting, icing, elevating, meds on time
I haven’t been that disciplined in my life before about the mantra )))
Thank you for thinking of me, I really appreciate

Thank you Dear @Mojo333
Indeed it is exactly as you mention above
It has been really good to be at home although it was tough getting out of the hospital and settling in at home
I have set my iphone alarms to med timing, so there are no gaps. Resting, icing, elevating...all under control so far
Thank you so much for thinking of me, it is so valuable

I am keeping my eye on you sansabosa, as I will be right behind you but 12 days later. It sounds like you are following the protocol to a 'T'. I wish you a smooth and steady recovery.

As I remember after my THR 10 years ago, I did not do much icing. I plan to do so this time! What are you using as ice packs? I am getting my "nest" set up here at home so it is ready for me when I am discharged. I'm sure I will be happy to get home, too, especially after the 2-hour drive from the hospital. I will also try your visualization technique between now and Jan. 3. I do have a problem with anxiety just before surgery with shiver-y legs and scary thoughts.

Hi @prairienut
It is so human and normal to feel anxious, please be compassionate to yourself. Meditation music also helped me to relax and I also used low dose tranquilizer starting 2 weeks before surgery, not on a routine basis, yet to help me fall asleep and am now about to quit.
The icepacks I have at home had been given from the hospital during my previous THR 5 years ago but they are the size of A4 paper size or maybe slightly bigger.
Some other items to prepare before going to surgery is high toilet seat adaptor and definetely a recliner chair. I also leased for 2 months period a hospital bed since our bed is too low to get in and out after this type of surgery. I had it set up before I went to surgery.
Rest assured all will turn out to be positive

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I have the high toilet seat frame and an electric recliner. Our downstairs bed is high enough, and I have added a short, padded bedrail that swings out and provides support when getting out of bed. I have found that just a Tylenol at night helps me sleep well. My pain level is quite low now. I have learned how to avoid the pain by using crutches. I am practicing sleeping on my back and on my left side. My favorite side for sleeping is of course my right side, and I won't be able to do that for a while.

Keep posting the story of your recovery. I'll be watching.

All temporary, dear @sansabosa
Lots of healing mojo coming your way.:loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks