TKR Trinket’s Second Knee Replacement

@Twinny Icing has never felt good to me. Its seemed to make everything worse and really never did help with pain. I've kept with it but I need to warm up my ice first. I take it out of the freezer for a little bit before I use it. That seems to be better for me. I'd really prefer a warm shower. I'll give it a try.

@EalingGran Thanks for the info about the spiky pilates balls. I'm learning more and more about my IT band and how it may be effecting my knee. I just ordered a couple from Amazon along with a foam roller. I expect both of them to be very useful as I work on this tightness in my knee. I start PT on Monday and am looking forward to it. I've also decided to go ahead and get the injection into my hip bursa. That should help with the inflammation and possibly make the PT exercises more effective. I feel good that I have some possible answers to this knee tightness and a path forward.

Good luck with the hip injection.
I was going to have one but then my hip pain cleared up after my knee surgery!
All these joints are so interconnect in terms of pain/ effects....

The cortisone injection should do the trick. It might take a few days or work right away. Good luck. I won't be far behind you!

The last few days have been interesting. I went back to physical therapy on Monday to work on my IT band in the hopes it will loosen up both my IT band and right side of knee. They gave me some exercises which didn't seem strenuous at the time, but wow, the next day I could barely walk. It was awful. No pain in my knee, but all around including my hip and quad. The bursitis in my hip had flared up badly.

Yesterday, I had an injection into my hip bursa. My OS was surprised at the level of exercises I was given in PT. He said no more of that. Today is a new day and already my hip feels good. The injection has settled my bursa. Now, I'm hoping as weeks go by, my IT band will improve as well.

For now, I am done worrying about the tightness on the side of my knee. It's not interfering with anything I do, but just feels weird. Hopefully, it will settle as the months go by.

April 4 was my four month anniversary of my TKR. It's the best thing I've done. My knee is pain-free, I can get up and down easily from a chair, no longer have to compensate for knee pain in what I do. I still need to walk more, but our weather is becoming warmer and the ice is gone, so that will be coming soon.

I'll be having my second knee done this Fall.

Hopefully, it will settle as the months go by.
It will. It just takes lots of time. One day, all of a sudden, you'll realize that it's almost gone, then it will be gone in a little while longer.
My knee is pain-free, I can get up and down easily from a chair, no longer have to compensate for knee pain in what I do.
What a blessing!

I hear ya about hip bursitis! My appt is 4/11 for cortisone shot. Last one was 10/2022. Being led active and pain meds during tkr recovery helped and I didn't have the pain. Oct shot wore off and I'm more active now = stupid bursitis flare.
Glad the shot helped you!

@sistersinhim Thanks for the encouragement on the knee tightness. I feel so much calmer now that I've stopped obsessing about it. Time will take care of it. It definitely is a blessing. To be pain-free in one knee is something I haven't felt for years. I'm so grateful.

@beachy Cortisone in the hip has been amazing. I think even my IT band feels better. Best of luck with yours.

Taking a driving trip to Florida next week. It's a long haul and I will go equipped with my Lounge Doc, plenty of icing equipment and many stops along the way. Hoping to play some golf.

Today I drove/rode almost 800 miles. My knee was very cooperative! No pain, a little tired and no more tight than usual. Yay! Elevating and resting right now. Another long day tomorrow.

Wow, thats a drive! Good to read you're doing okay and resting & elevating after the long drive.
Safe travels tomorrow if it involves more time behind the wheel.:driver:
@trinket

Thrilled to report that my knee has been very well behaved on vacation. Made a long three day drive like a trooper (with many stops to stretch). Played golf several times and have done a moderate amount of walking. An occasional ache that has gone away immediately. The tight right side stubbornly remains for now, but I’m getting used to it. Tomorrow we head to the beach for a week. Walking on the sand will be the next test. So far, my knee has been a star.

Hello trinket :wave:
You are doing great! It sounds like you're getting back to all that you love and having fun!
Walking on the sand will be the next test.
A word of caution. Your gait changes while walking on sand.
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

Thankfully you're going on five months post op and with any luck it doesn't wear you out.
I hope you enjoy and safe travels!

Took a beach walk today and it was definitely more strenuous than walking on a stable surface, especially in the soft sand. My knee was fine, but my right side of back and hip ached a bit. Both calmed right down once I was on firm land. I couldn’t ask for any more from my knee. She has done so much better than I expected.

Awesome news! I hope you feel just as good tomorrow, but if for some reason you don't,
remember your friend -> :ice: Enjoy the weekend!
@trinket

I found it hard to walk in soft sand even before my knee replacement! It sounds like you made out just fine.

Today is the six month anniversary of my TKR!!! What an interesting and exciting time it's been.

My expectations were very different than the reality of this surgery. Like many, I thought I'd be up and dancing on the table tops at six weeks. Nope. Nope. Nope. While my recovery has been pretty smooth and uneventful, it's certainly been slower than I expected.

Aside from downhill skiing which I have given up, I'm back to doing everything, and doing it better than before my surgery. Being painfree in one of my knees is wonderful. I no longer have to think about where I sit down and how I'll be able to get up. Stairs are so much easier than they were before. My knee no longer grinds every time I move it. I have good range of motion, and can up and down from the floor easily and carefully kneel on my knee.

Aside from the occasional twinge, I have no pain at all. I still have a fair amount of swelling that is very stubborn and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. Many days I still wear compression socks when I'm hanging out at home and they do help. My Lounge Doctor became my best friend and I still use it daily. The tightness still persists and can be annoying on some days, but I've gotten used to it and do believe it will get better as time goes along. I still take Meloxicam, but that is for pain in my left knee, not my new knee, and do continue to do all the exercises I learned in PT.

One thing I notice is that I'm still more tired than I think I should be. I had two major surgeries in 2022 (TKR and shoulder reconstruction) and they took their toll on my stamina. Still working to get that back to pre-surgery levels.

I know I'm still healing and things will continue to improve, but I feel blessed and grateful that my beautiful new knee does so well. Also grateful that I found Bonesmart to learn and be reassured by others. I'm planning to have my left TKR on November 6, 2023.

My expectations were very different than the reality of this surgery. Like many, I thought I'd be up and dancing on the table tops at six weeks. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Well said! Thanks for the great update, @trinket, and thanks for being part of our community! :flwrysmile:

I still have a fair amount of swelling

The tightness still persists
These two are related. Tightness is caused by swelling, both inside and outside. That fluid is in the way and you can't move as easily as you would without it there. Are you icing while you're elevating? That will help reduce the inflammation, which is helping to cause that swelling.

You are so far along, you probably would do fine without doing any exercises now. Doing those might be adding to your inflammation and swelling.

Wonderful update, trinket! Thanks for sharing your recovery with us.
This update will be an inspiration for those following behind.
May it keep getting better! :)
@trinket

Well here I am, almost 11 months since my first knee replacement and getting ready to have the second knee done on November 6. Excited to get on with it.

Last week I needed to have an emergency root canal. Ugh. My surgeon likes to have all dental work done two months prior to tkr, but in this case it just couldn’t wait. I had my pre-op a couple days ago and blood work showed no sign of lingering infection so all systems are go!

Today is the last day I can have Meloxican, Advil or aspirin, so Tylenol it is until after surgery. Tomorrow I start the nose swabs to kill any staph.

My ice packs, walker, lounge doctor and all prescription drugs are ready to go. I plan to spend the night after surgery and will be pampered in the lovely care suites.

Please change the title of my thread to Trinket’s Second Knee Replacement. I’ll be in touch after my left knee replacement! Thanks for all your support.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back