TKR Trinket’s Second Knee Replacement

Yippee! I got my Lounge Doc today. This thing is awesome. I sure wish I would have had this when I had my surgery. It would have been so much easier to elevate and possibly prevented some of the awful swelling I have.

I'm going to order one for my mom. She needs to elevate her feet and never gets in the right position. The LD makes it simple.

I use it when my lower back is bad, non tkr. I have an adjustable base bed and with the head elevated and legs on LD it becomes zero gravity for my back. Really helps back pain.
Glad you like it!!

Things are going well. My only remaining gripe is the swelling and tightness on the right side of my knee. I'm patiently (kind of) waiting for it to subside. I need to do more walking, but that will come as our weather here improves. I've reached the point where I am actually looking forward to getting the left knee done. Shocking.

Glad to read that you are doing well, @trinket! The swelling and tightness will go away with time. Remember you are still in the first quarter of this year-long recovery.

Let us know when you schedule that second knee!

I've reached the point where I am actually looking forward to getting the left knee done. Shocking.
Crazy the things we think when we realize how good we can feel again. :wink:
Glad to read things are going well. Hopefully the swelling eases soon and you're able
to get out for some walks. :walking:

I can't wait for that to happen! You're about 2 1/2 months post op, right? 10 weeks. I'm about halfway there.

Yes, beachy, I'm 10 weeks today. Feeling pretty good about things. Wishing I could feel some of the tightness starting to dissipate, but not yet.

I'm a bit nervous about a trip I need to make to a podiatrist next week. I have had an ongoing problem with an ingrown toe nail and it needs to be treated. My OS has given me the name of his suggested podiatrist and a prescription for antibiotics to take prior to visit. The last thing I want is any procedure that will encourage an infection in my new knee. OS is confident if I take the antibiotic before they work on it I'll be OK. Eek.

I'm sure if you take care and let your knee and foot heal you'll be fine.

Definitely go with what your OS recommends. He wouldn't refer you to a podiatrist and prescribe antibiotics if it was going to infect his patient.
Not nearly like an ingrown nail, but I'm desperate for a pedicure LOL. But, I'm waiting a few more weeks.

I had the side of my right toe nail excised yesterday. After several shots of novocaine, they cut my nail from top to bottom, removed it completely and bandaged it up. I went on my way thinking, OK, this is no big deal.

Forward to yesterday and last night. I have never been in so much pain. The pain from neither my knee or shoulder surgeries was anything like what I experienced last night. I suppose it's because I didn't have any pain medication other than OTC Advil and/or Tylenol. I got no sleep and was up wandering the house all night. For some reason, it felt better when I was on my feet.

Today I need to remove the bandage, do an Epsom salts soak and rebandage. I do this for two weeks, along with another antibiotic. My doctor was confident infection would not be an issue. The nail will take many months to grow back in, and the hope (but no guarantee) is that it will not grow curved which is what was causing my chronic ingrown nail.

I'm even skipping the gm this morning, which is unheard of for me. Hopefully, I can get a shoe on later today. Right now I'm unsure of whether I should call and ask for a stronger pain med or wait and see what today and tonight brings. I have some oxycodone left from my knee replacement but really don't want to go back to that.

Anyway, the reason I did the nail excision was to lower the chances of an infection in my knee replacement. After all this, I sure hope it works. I did do some lymphatic massage and massaged the swollen area on the side of my knee and I do believe it helped. So, yay for that.

Ugh. That sounds awful. I am so sorry!
I think if you're in great pain and can't sleep you should call and see if you can take something stronger.
Hopefully the pain eases soon. :console2:
@trinket

Ugh! Sorry you had that much pain.
I've had both big toenails removed, but not the root or whatever its called. They grew back eventually. Did you have the root thing removed?Dropped a 10lb weight on one at the gym. Stubbed the other one so bad it had to go.
So graceful.
Hope your pain lessens and the soaks help. Darn ingrowns!

Oh man, and when your feet hurt, you hurt all over, it seems! I pray today is a much better day for you.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I removed the compression bandage and soaked in Epsom and my toe is much, much better. I think the compression bandage was very tight and my toe was trying to swell a bit and there was no room for it to do so. Hopefully, things are on the upswing now.

Edited to add - I did not have the root thingy removed. That is a future option if the nail continues to ingrown. I do have several months that should be pain free while the nail is growing in.

It is good to read that your toe is doing a lot better. I bet that tight bandage helped to cause all that pain.

Yay! "root thingy". We're so technical LOL
Glad you found out what was causing the pain.

I think the compression bandage was very tight and my toe was trying to swell a bit and there was no room for it to do so. Hopefully, things are on the upswing now.
I found my toes got sore in the early weeks following my surgery. The circulation was poor and things like seams on my socks/ too tight socks irritated them. At one point I was really worried because they were a bit purplish and really sore.
I bought some really comfortable seamless socks for diabetes sufferers ( I am not diabetic) and they are wonderful. Now I don't wear any other socks as they don't constrict and leave a mark on the ankle.
I also found the thick nappy rash cream ( Sudocrem in UK) really helpful for the
sore spots. It is also marketed for ulcers/ pressure areas.

I just noticed that you already had a recovery thread from January 1, 2023. I have merged the two threads together. If you would like a different title please let us know.

We allow only one Recovery Thread because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions for finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Thanks for merging the threads. I was wondering how to do it. Could you please retitle my thread ... Trinket's TKR Recovery. Thanks so much.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics