TKR Trinket’s Second Knee Replacement

Would like your thoughts on a situation I encountered yesterday ... I have been going to the gym regularly and am pretty much back to my old routine, although less strenuous. My old gym shoes were run down, insides worn out, etc., etc. Two days ago I bought a fresh new pair of shoes thinking they'd be great. They're the same shoes I always get for the gym. I wore them two days and yesterday my knee started to ache for no reason. Not really concerning pain, but definitely more aching. Do you think it could be the new shoes? Here I thought I was doing my knee a favor with some cushy new shoes, but maybe not??? I'll experiment next week with new vs old shoes when I go back to working out. Taking a few days off from the gym.

Be interested to hear what some of the staff members think. Sounds to me that somehow you are walking differently in these new shoes and it isn't suiting your knees.
Is there someone at the gym who could watch you walk and check you are walking straight?
In the past when I was trying to avoid surgery I went to an orthotist who videoed my walking and sold me some customised insoles to try to even my gait.
But to be honest it was very expensive and the insoles weren't much better than some gel heel cushions that I put in my shoes.
I still use these gel insoles and they do seem to " shock absorb" a bit and help with walking. They were quite cheap. I bought mine in the pharmacy but sure you could probably get them on Amazon.

Sounds like a biiig change from word-down old shoes to brand new, firm ones. I'm a believer in Scarlet's approach to life - well, my amended version which is: 'go easy, give it a little time, wait-and-see. For how long a period did you have the new shoes on? An hour…or more? Could just be a matter of needing to adjust more slowly.

B/t/w…I think your report of 'early days' will be really useful to folks having a hard time. Things DO resolve and get better (almost always).

I think you need a 'break-in period' for your new shoes. There must be a big difference in how they are making you walk and until your knee gets used to them maybe just wear them for just a little while at a time. Before you know it, I bet they'll feel great along with your knee!

I think you need a 'break-in period' for your new shoes. There must be a big difference in how they are making you walk and until your knee gets used to them maybe just wear them for just a little while at a time. Before you know it, I bet they'll feel great along with your knee!

That's what I will try. I haven't worn them since Thursday and the achy feels better.

Looking for some opinions on the Lounge Doc. I am finding that elevation helps, but a tall pile of pillows is so frustrating ... slipping and sliding all over. Thinking about investing in the LD. I'll need it for my next surgery in the fall, but not sure how much longer I'd be using it now. I live in a very small condominium and storage space is almost non existent. Thoughts???

I loved my Lounge Doctor and used it again when I broke my foot and ankle. It is so much easier than fighting pillows! That lasted about 1 day before I ordered one! Here's a link: Lounge Doctor

Looking for some opinions on the Lounge Doc. I am finding that elevation helps, but a tall pile of pillows is so frustrating ... slipping and sliding all over. Thinking about investing in the LD. I'll need it for my next surgery in the fall, but not sure how much longer I'd be using it now. I live in a very small condominium and storage space is almost non existent. Thoughts???
I absolutely needed my Lounge Doctor. It made elevating so much easier.
They do make one that is inflatable; might be the best option for you since you don‘t have storage space.

Marie

I used my Lounge Dr constantly for my first tkr. We were inseparable! It really helped alleviate the swelling. I'm using it again for this tkr. I've used it several times in between tkr for back pain.
If I were you, I would get it now and use it. At 7 weeks post op you will still get some good use out of it when you have days of too much activity.
I keep mine stored on a high shelf.
Hopefully, he will be retired after this recovery LOL

A bit of an update ... I feel like my forward process has slowed and maybe stalled. My knee still has the tight band around it. Gets better and then gets worse again for no reason I can figure out. Wake up at night with a nagging ache and need to take Tylenol. I feel like my gait has worsened, and I have developed a bit of a clump or a limp. Although I go the gym every day, I need to take longer walks and focus on how I walk and the proper stride. Unfortunately, it's been too cold and icy to barely even go out here. Hopefully next week I can do some mall walking. I feel a bit like my new knee and old knee aren't communicating quite yet. I weave a bit when I walk. Doing a lot of work on balance.

In other news, my achy knee was not caused by my new shoes. I'm wearing the shoes daily and my knee is OK, so it must have been something else aggravating it. It's been bitterly cold here. Is it possible that the below zero cold is making my metal/ceramic knee components cold and achy when outdoors?

I'm thinking about ordering the inflatable Lounge Doc so I can easily store it away. Maybe not ideal, but it would work better for me from a space standpoint. Will be doing my left knee sometime in the Fall, and definitely want one by then.

Glad to hear shoe concern is resolved!

I am in the Upper Midwest where it can get pretty darned cold - negative temps predicted tonight. I have also become very aware over the past couple years that weather/barometer changes play a role in how my legs - and feet! - feel. So, to me, it stands to reason that, even w a replacement, there would still be an effect - esp as my very achey disconfort can occasionally go from ankle to hip.

You mention 'weaving' and balance, but don't say whether you are carrying/using a cane? My TKR was just about a month earlier than yours and I'm only feeling comfortable w/o having the cane at hand for maybe the last two weeks, perhaps even more recently than that. (Comes the day you all of a sudden realize you're not feeling the need…)

I also did battle w the pillow towers for elevating and really wished I'd sprung for the Lounge Doctor. And I def will if ever have to have the other knee done (fingers crossed!)

Glad to hear shoe concern is resolved!

I am in the Upper Midwest where it can get pretty darned cold - negative temps predicted tonight. I have also become very aware over the past couple years that weather/barometer changes play a role in how my legs - and feet! - feel. So, to me, it stands to reason that, even w a replacement, there would still be an effect - esp as my very achey disconfort can occasionally go from ankle to hip.

You mention 'weaving' and balance, but don't say whether you are carrying/using a cane? My TKR was just about a month earlier than yours and I'm only feeling comfortable w/o having the cane at hand for maybe the last two weeks, perhaps even more recently than that. (Comes the day you all of a sudden realize you're not feeling the need…)

I also did battle w the pillow towers for elevating and really wished I'd sprung for the Lounge Doctor. And I def will if ever have to have the other knee done (fingers crossed!)
I am not carrying or using a cane. I think my gait is off because I do a lot of short walking around the house and gym, but not a concentrated longer distance walk to develop proper walking skills. Also, I think my posture has suffered. I feel like I'm leaning forward with a little slump. Need to change that! So much to think about.

I think you're doing great for just over 8 weeks (whispering of a 52 week recovery timeline).

Earlier in the recovery, I would ditch the cane early in the day and grab it later. I found that I consistently lost my good posture and my even gait when I was tired, and fatigue set in most in the later part of the day. You might try grabbing your cane when you notice that you're limping to help with balance and stability. You'll be done with that cane for good in no time so use it when you need it. I agree that the focused, longer walks allowed me to improve my gait as I concentrated on my heel to toe strike and longer stride.

Also, be sure to allow yourself a day or 2 of rest after a heavy activity day, sort of a mini recovery period.

Hi @trinket, i got my lounge dr a few days after surgery. I still use it every day to relax and ice my knee. It really helped(s). Between that and the ice machine i am doing ok! Cheers,

I go the gym every day
I think this is why you are having problems with pain and swelling. That's why you're limping, more than likely. I think you need to use your cane when you notice yourself limping more. It will help you to concentrate more on the correct gait.
Is it possible that the below zero cold is making my metal/ceramic knee components cold and achy when outdoors?
Most definitely. I had personal experience with this. It was -11 and I had to shovel some snow. Even though I was wrapped up in layers, my knee still got cold inside. It took a while before the implant warmed up and my knee quick hurting. My knee was 3 years old when this happened!

You are still in the early part of recovery. When I had my first tkr I thought I was super woman by the 7-8 week point. I wasnt. It was better than week 2, but still a long way to go. I go back and read my recovery from time to time.
Listen to what hawk2go and sistersinhim have posted. Maybe do more walking and less time in the gym. Hang in there. This recovery is not a straight line. Its more of a roller coaster.

Happy 2-month an-Knee-versary tomorrow, @trinket. :loveshwr:

Hope you are doing well today.

Thank you so much. I'm so grateful for this group.

I'm doing well. Frustrated some days by what I perceive as slow progress, but I know I'm doing fine. I'm trying to figure out the right combination of pain medication for my minor aches that come and go in my new knee, and the constant bone on bone discomfort in my yet to be replaced knee. Have gone off the Meloxicam and am figuring out the right combo of Advil and Tylenol.

Have gone back to my usual activities. Our weather is suppose to warm up and I can start to take longer walks which I think I need for my gait. Have found that if I let my ice warm up a bit before I use it I tolerate it better, and have ordered a lounge doc.

Can't imagine that I thought I could do my left knee 12 weeks after the right knee. Now that I've been through it ... no way. Planning to do the second knee this Fall.

Life is good.

Can't imagine that I thought I could do my left knee 12 weeks after the right knee. Now that I've been through it ... no way. Planning to do the second knee this Fall.
Really understand this. Thankfully I don't have to do my other knee but may eventually need my hip or back done.
But there is no way my operated knee could currently at 14 weeks act as the stronger knee for say stairs for example.

Frustrated some days by what I perceive as slow progress, but I know I'm doing fine.
Yes, you are doing fine and I like your positive attitude in noting that Life Is Good!

You mentioned you will have your left knee done in the Fall. Let us know when you get it scheduled and we'll edit your signature accordingly.

I'm happy to hear you ordered the Lounge Doctor. It will serve you well now and also after your next TKR. You may be surprised to find yourself using it beyond your next recovery. I still use mine at times while watching tv at night because I find it comfortable. It is an investment, but a worthwhile one my opinion.
It's been bitterly cold here. Is it possible that the below zero cold is making my metal/ceramic knee components cold and achy when outdoors?
I have also become very aware over the past couple years that weather/barometer changes play a role in how my legs - and feet! - feel. So, to me, it stands to reason that, even w a replacement, there would still be an effect - esp as my very achey disconfort can occasionally go from ankle to hip.
Read this ladies -
For some people, yes, you can feel the weather changes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Thanks for the update, trinket! Stay safe on the outdoor walks in the warmer weather you mentioned, if slippery pavements are the norm. I'm in the Upper Northwest and it's a concern every year.

Happy Two Month Anniversary! Have a great week. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom