Revision THR Triflange acetabular component

Figsktr

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! I am post op day 10 status post my 2nd revision(3rdsurgery)
Sept. 25, 2013 - first surgery - acetabular component listening post op day 12
oct. 5, 2013 - first revision - long post op recovery 8 month recovery - lost 1.5-2.0 cm leg length- regained my strength , had significant abduction weakness.

2019 I started to experience pain in my groin and buttocks. X-ray was performed in Dec2019 and the acetabular component had shifted almost to transverse location. My pain got so severe in I was on Percocet daily so I could walk and sleep. I immediately scheduled a consult with my Ortho from the first revision, he suggested a triflange acetabular component revision.

I was immediately set up for a 3-D CT scan so I could have a custom implant constructed to fit the specifications of my right hip.
Needless to say, I underwent my second revision on Aug. 18, 2020.
Post- operative course - I was strictly told I had to use a walker with minimal bearing weight on my right leg. I am feeling actually pretty good. Pain is off and on and I am managing my pain with oxycodone 5 mgs, and Tylenol. Sorry for the rambling on, but if any one out there has had the same revision let me know.

I am praying I will regain my flexibility in the future and continue to dance again in the near future! Here is my post op pic! And below preop picture! Any input would help!
10CD8BFB-4097-4834-82A3-C5B1BEAA9E00.jpeg
3582E57E-8895-4D44-B140-2188871C4D7C.jpeg

:wave:@Figsktr
It is amazing what technology has imagined in the medical field and custom implants have certainly brightened the future of many hip patients.
I know this is a rough, patient recovery but your positive attitude will serve you well.

I know you have specific guidelines regarding your revision surgery, but I am going to include our THR recovery guidelines here for you to review.
Big healing hugs coming your way xxxx

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Figsktr that is one amazing piece of kit! Wow - that should get you dancing again soon.

Your pre-op picture looks painful! So glad technology is on your side. Please keep us updated!

Thanks for the reply - I including a picture of the component that was specifically created for me. It is made from Zimmerbiomet. I wonder how much it weighs? Oh, I am driving back up to Miami Friday to have my sutures removed.
another question, is everyone on Xa inhibitors such as xeralto or Eloquis? My ortho has me on Eloquis twice daily for 6 weeks. I don’t remember being on a blood thinner back in 2013. Crazy, right?
other meds I have to take is cephalosporins-can’t remember the name. I have to take it for 7 days. Anyone out there can share their experience with this implant, please respond to my post!

How long does it take for abductor weakness to improve? I am just curious. Ok, enough with the questions! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

D5839A4B-AF11-4606-8753-9405EB0F5564.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much it weighs?
Probably no more than the bones it replaced. It's titanium - very light. With locking screws so it's not going anywhere.
is everyone on Xa inhibitors such as xeralto or Eloquis?
Yes, this is standard practice now. I was on xeralto post LTHR in 2010. Some surgeons just prescribe aspirin.
Anyone out there can share their experience with this implant, please pm me
If you can keep the conversation on your thread that would be great. Then other members can benefit from your experience.
how long does it take for abductor weakness to improve?
Some of this depends on how long you limped around pre-op. It's going to take awhile. Your first priority is the get that hip healed and all the surrounding soft tissues and muscles recovered from all the trauma of surgery. Once all is settled, then you can work on strengthening.

Thank you! By the way my surgery was sept. 18, not August 18, I’ll blame it on the Percocet. Another thing, they want me to do toe touch when walking with walker, it I can easily walk with one crutch. What’s up with that

Another thing, they want me to do toe touch when walking with walker, it I can easily walk with one crutch. What’s up with that
It may be that the rod inside your femur is uncemented, so they want you to put limited weight on it for a while, to allow your bone cells time to grow into the special surface on the implant.

Thank you! This Friday I’ll be 14 days post op!
I am having my sutures removed this Friday. I was able to have my home health nurse change my dressing today and I had the opportunity to snap a picture for you! I bet I have the longest scar in history! On another note, I really feel good, since I dance for exercise, I really don’t want to lose my upper body strength. Hopefully I can get a clearance from my surgeon to do some upper body polework! If there are any dancers out there who have had a hip replacement and do pole please contact me !
1601438241336.png

Last edited by a moderator:
POST OP DAY 13-Good evening everyone, still in search of anyone out there that has undergone or has the same implant I have, triflange acetabular component. I Am doing better everyday! My gosh, I have to admit, third time is a charm. I feel great!
Only problems I note now is:
1. Lost of appetite- is that normal? I have lost 12 pounds since my surgery, it may be the horse pill cephalosporin they put me on.
2. Tire very easily- I did loose over 800 cc of bllod during my 3.5 hour surgery. I received 2 units of blood post op. When do you normally get a repeat H/H?
3. how long should I be on narcotics? It’s been 2 weeks now, still have a good deal of pain, should I get my pain pills refilled?
Any experienced hippie out there that can share their pain mmt post op, please do so!

Lost of appetite- is that normal?
Very normal. Eat very small but healthy meals/snacks. Plenty of fluids as well.
Tire very easily
Also normal - especially as you are only days out of major surgery. Read this article again Energy drain for THRs
how long should I be on narcotics?
As long as you need them to control your pain. There is no time frame for stopping medication. When you start forgetting doses (usually the midday dose) then it a sign you can wean off the heavier pain killers.

Any experienced hippie out there that can share their pain mmt post op, please do so

Ice is a little miracle worker.:ice: I swear by it. Not sure how frequently you iced, or if you’re still icing, but I iced almost non-stop in those early weeks. If I was sitting or laying down, I was icing.

It’s recommended you ice for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice, always with fabric between your skin and the ice source. Give it a try, if you’ve already stopped, or never gave it a good chance. Hope you gain some relief soon.
Happy Thursday :wave:

Yes, Yes, Yes, I am icing. I bought this huge ice pack for the back that looks like a flat pillow. I put that on the bed at night and wrap my hip! In addition during the day I purchased a hip replacement ice pack. It is probably 12"x12" inches and it easily slides into a pouch that has two Velcro belts. I wear that during the day when I am walking. It is awesome.

I took off my bandage today since my sutures are coming out tomorrow and it looks pretty good. He closed me with interrupted nylon suture. I have probably 50 sutures holding me together and the wound is probably 40 cm long. :( Looks like wearing a thong bikini is over!. Who knows I may be brave enough to show off my scar when I go to the beach!

Does anyone know when I can start swimming for exercise! I think that is probably going to be the best non weight bearing exercise to prevent my muscles from getting atrophic.

Any input would help regarding the swimming!

Does anyone know when I can start swimming for exercise!
You probably know this already, but you shouldn't go swimming or immerse yourself in water until your incision is completely healed, with no open areas or scabs at all. Doing it any earlier would be risking introducing infection.

It's normal to lose some muscle tone and strength after this surgery, but it will recover naturally, with normal use. Hips heal naturally, without any specific exercises and we usually recommend not doing any strengthening exercises until about 3 months post-op.

If you swim, do beware of doing too much, too soon. With the water taking much of your weight, it's easy to overdo things - you sure realise that when you get out of the water, though!
Also, beware of dehydration. That can sneak up on you while you're swimming.

Hi everyone! I had my 2 week post op visit, sutures out! Woo hoo! I am I including my xrays so you can appreciate the size of my implant! I got another RX for 30 oxycodone 5 mg tabs today, I must say, my but hurts the most so I guess I should continue to take them!
I have been cleared to start doing upper body exercises, I am so happy! Being a dancer, I cannot lose my upper body strength, I start with my personal trainer Monday!

Attachments

• 3CCCC625-5E49-4D26-BFBC-E24513D4A001.jpeg
    3CCCC625-5E49-4D26-BFBC-E24513D4A001.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 648F0017-ADDA-4A16-8EEE-34A8E6803031.jpeg
    648F0017-ADDA-4A16-8EEE-34A8E6803031.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 72CBEBD6-2173-4351-BE49-82579A66DC2B.jpeg
    72CBEBD6-2173-4351-BE49-82579A66DC2B.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 134
  • B537CFDC-0C39-43E2-8AFF-5F460F20D2A1.jpeg
    B537CFDC-0C39-43E2-8AFF-5F460F20D2A1.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 137
  • F097EFA8-3120-4D24-BADC-A47C430EB1F1.jpeg
    F097EFA8-3120-4D24-BADC-A47C430EB1F1.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 156
Hi! I am now going into 5th week post op and doing well, hardly using pain meds. I just started working out again upper body. Does anyone know when you Can flex your hip past 90, or activate my psoas muscles, are pelvic tucks/tilting ok? I have to do toe touch when I walk with a walker for 12 weeks which is crazy with this new implant device -Triflange acetabular component.

I have to do toe touch when I walk with a walker for 12 weeks which is crazy with this new implant device
You should not be considering doing any new activity until you are off restrictions. 12 weeks toe touch means you are restricted to just that for 12 weeks. Then you will probably need a few weeks to get comfortable with weight bearing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member