Lounge Doctor

THR Tricky Recovery from 2 THRs

Tiare

Country
United States United States
Hi @Lester.Frea! Glad to hear that your surgeon thinks things are going well. I’m a fellow on-the-younger-side hippie as well - and just had a bilateral THR on April 2. I read through some of your pre-op thread, and it sounds like you’ve been through a lot! So happy that you finally took the plunge. I’ve had osteoarthritis since I was a teenager, and finally got the courage to move forward with thr surgery this year, but it was definitely a long time coming.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope your recovery is continuing to go well!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: Hi @Lester.Frea
Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty and Righty!
I hope the icing has helped ease any discomfort you had. You’re a brave soul going back for more after only two days post op. I can’t even imagine.
With any luck you’re doing well and enjoying progress week by week.
Happy Friday!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Lester.Frea
Just checking to see if you had left an update.
Hope all is contributing to improve...
This was primetime in my recovery for some post op blues and cabin fever....
Hope you are staying positive and keeping things slow and steady.
Continued wishes for healing and patience.

OP
OP
Lester.Frea

Lester.Frea

Country
India India
Hey all!

Really sorry for showing up after so long!

Things are going okay, making good progress. On walker, but really I can walk (although there is tightness etc.) for a bit without even that - but yeah not gonna take any risk since I really don't want to add a fracture risk now :P It's been difficult enough already lol

Totally off pain meds btw, except nerve pain meds. Not even acetaminophen. I do experience pain now and then but doctor has not prescribed anything. Haven't complained excessively, I have good pain tolerance and generally the pain's well within my level of tolerance so it's all good :) And oh, I do ice! It does help.

One thing that bothers me is this snapping sound and discomfort from my left knee (which was on partial weightbearing for weeks post surgery unlike my right leg) - the doc had checked my knee and there's no arthritis related tightness or anything there. He said the snapping sound could be owing to some muscle wasting - and I do feel it's muscle related since the snapping happens when I bend and straighten my leg (it's a dull snap and not a boney crack which I know since I have chronic arthritis related issues) - this is super irritating and aches a bit too. But lets see, hope it gets better with time. Trying to increase my walking slowly now.

PS: Had a consult after 4 weeks and while it's early to show up on X-rays, doc showed me some bone growing into my implant - so that's looking up! Really gave me a lot of confidence :dancy:

Ric A

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Should we expect our surgeons to review our hips x ray etc every year or 2 or 5 Years?

Is there any rule?

Also, should we be expected to be able too stand on our operated leg after 6 weeks?

OP
OP
Lester.Frea

Lester.Frea

Country
India India
Should we expect our surgeons to review our hips x ray etc every year or 2 or 5 Years?
There's no rule as such, but I'm planning to consult mine once in a while (at least once in one or two years). While in general, I think you only need a consult if you're feel any discomfort or your surgeon asks you to. From what I've read, it's a do it and forget it kinda procedure, once you've eased into normalcy, I think you'll carry on as if you have a normal hip.

Also, should we be expected to be able too stand on our operated leg after 6 weeks?
If you'd gone through my thread here, my case is a bit unique and even then the doctor allowed some weight bearing right away. Some minor walking was on cards after week two and I'm walking about (with walker) after four. Hoping to switch to a cane after six and eventually lose everything, once I'm confident enough!

And mind you, mines bilateral.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for updating. It was nice to hear from you. I’m happy you’re doing well and that you’re pleased with your progress. May it be smooth sailing from here on out for you! :)
@Lester.Frea

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Countrybumpkin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom