trh 5 days post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.

judyl2010

I have looked at the forum posts and the library mayby I am not looking for the right words. I am 5 days post op. I am having a lot of drainage from the staples and the where the original drain tube was. Is that normal? It does have color to it, it is an orange color. When it first started it was pink now it is a weirdest color of orange. The only thing they said when I left hospital was if the drainage is yellow and you have a fever over 102 then come back. Sat morning when I woke it had drained enough the sheet on my bed was soaked 3 inches about and 3 inches below. Called the Dr exchange some other Dr was on this weekend. He said that was normal and not to worry. Have had a low grade fever for 2 days 99.1-100.5, he said that was normal. I had my left knee replaced last Sept.I t had MRSA in it and I had to have it reopened. Don't want that again. Is this normal and if it is what can I do to help it.

If it's draining that much then you should certainly get it looked at. Wounds shouldn't drain that copiously at 5 days. I think that especially since your other knee got infected. Can't be too careful in my book.

In the meantime, keep the wound covered with clean, preferably sterile dressings (if they gave you any) and don't mess with it at all. The more you fiddle with it, the more likely you are to risk infection.

Judy....I'm with Jo. Since you had the prior infection, I'd get it checked out tomorrow with your surgeon. Please let us know how you are doing, okay?

Judy, please let us know how you are going, I really think you need to get it looked at, especially as you say it is orange and you have had a previous MRSA infection.. contact your surgeon ASAP I would suggest.

Judy

I am thinking if you can't get to your surgeon get to your GP. I would go to my GP if I had a wound that was not looking well. I'm pretty sure that your GP could expedite things with your surgeon if it needed to be done., My surgeon has turned over my day to day care with the surgery to my GP (that includes meds).

Just an idea.....Good luck

Hi Judy, just checking in to see how you are progressing?

Hi Judy

They say that a smile helps you to feel better so here is my one joke.

Why don't sharks eat clowns?

Because they taste funny

OK---OK so it's not very good but I hope it has brought a smile to your day.

Take care

The home health nurse says it looks fine. Still concerned because it is still draining, not as much as earlier in the week but still a lot for a week after surgery. Nobody else seems to be worried about it so I am trying not to. Therapy is going okay. I'm doing well in that area. Have had those after surgery blues and still have some of them. Wishing as the patient I could have a little more info. Seemed like with the knees there was info every, where had a ton of stuff, and now with the hip I don't have anything. Hospital did not even send me home with instructions on wound care. The discharge sheet just says change dressing if necessary. Really every thing is going great, I am able to do all the things that rehab wants me to. Sleeping sucks but was prepared for that. Pain is not horrible so I have to say for now I am doing ok.

Hip replacement was the 2nd May. It is has been a horrible ride since then. On the 10th May, I saw my surgeon and he put me back in hospital. On Friday 11th they opened the hip the second time and found 2 large haematomas in the incision and staph infection also. Spent 10th through 14th in hospital. The 14th saw an infectious disease Dr and he ordered the PICC line. Yesterday went to his office and he put daptomyacin through the PICC line. Therapy has been at stand still although I walk a lot. Doing the exercises I learned in hospital and the two I learned in the few days of rehab at home. I am very tired and weak but I am doing ok will take a lot longer to recover but I can do it.:hysterical:Right now this about the best I can do.:yes 4:

Oh Judy, that is such a shame. I do hope they can get on top of this for you.

Hi Judy,

I'm so sorry to hear you have had an awful time of it. It must have been very frustrating for you knowing something was wrong all that time.

Hoping your recovery is now on track.

Take care

Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee