THR Trenna's recovery thread

I'm hoping with the start of my outpatient physio tomorrow
Please be very careful with PT. Hips don't really need any PT - walking is the best exercise. If PT tries to force anything just say no!

I plan on taking it easy and telling the PT off if they do anything that hurts. It's mainly that I want the evaluation to get off of 50%.

It will still be limited PT because my orthopedic surgeon has abduction banned until April 16th.

Sounds like you really are doing very well. It would be nice if you get a little break (down to one crutch) between surgeries.

"I plan on taking it easy and telling the PT off if they do anything that hurts"

Snort laugh :rotfl: strikes me as funny for some reason.
Hope you have a good day. Thanks for the laugh.
@trenna[/QUOTE]

Physio didn't happen. I woke up with the gastro bug my brother had last week. So I had to reschedule as soon as the clinic opens.

I honestly can't wait to get my right hip done. It hurts so bad and my left doesn't hurt at all. I'm really feeling how weak the right is compared to the left now.

Your gastric bug may have done you a favour! No PT and hip healing well without it!

Double hippydom coming up very soon.
Hang in there @trenna !

That must be frustrating feeling so much better on one side but held back by the other. Hopefully, this next week will fly by for you.
I hope you get over this gastro bug very quickly, rest well :flwrysmile:

Hello and Happy Wednesday!
So sorry this recovery is overshadowed by an achy deteriorating hip.
Thankfully relief is on the way. Hang on tight.
Wishing you lots of comfort. :console2:
@trenna

Thanks for all of the support @Carriemay60 @Layla @Mojo333

Now that I'm 31 days post surgery, {and was told that at a month I could leave 50%weight bearing} I'm trying to work my way down to one crutch

. I've been putting more weight on my left leg as it's been feeling more stable with both crutches and have been doing minor one crutch walking around the house. I was able to grab my own breakfast and mug for tea this morning because I had a hand free. That felt like a MAJOR accomplishment.

Right now, my biggest challenge is convincing my mom to let me walk around the house with one crutch.

:wave:Happy Thursday, @trenna
Great news! Good for you. Promise mom you won't do anything foolish but explain it's all part of your recovery and regaining your independence. If it's worrisome to her, practice more often when she's not around. You'll do fine. I'm excited for you. Onward and upward! :happydance:
Thanks for the update :)

My follow up with my os was moved up to the 17th from the 29th. So soon I'll have an xray I can see, unlike the ones done at the hospital.

I'm starting to think that I'll have to push back my right thr from May until July-ish. There are 8 steps into my house and I don't think I'll be able to climb them with my left leg leading for another couple of months. I just don't have the strength yet.

Otherwise I'm making great strides, I'm walking about 4000 steps a day, i have so much less pain, every day the stem feels more and more secure, and I'm down to one crutch in the house.

Only do what you feel comfortable doing for sure. In your shoes, I think I would need some confidence in myself (leg) to move forward. We fret enough as it is. Do you have a job you have to be concerned with?

I don't have a job to worry about, I've had severe and restricting arthritis since I was a baby.

I'm just annoyed if I have to push back the surgery, because my left thr already was a 10 month wait.

I'm weight bearing more and more every day. I'm so glad to be off of 50%. I'm walking about a kilometre and a half every day according to my fitness tracker and my pace is only slightly slower than it was before surgery. I'd say it's similar to what it was last spring before I started prehab.

I've been walking around the house with either one crutch or none, but feel off balance because of my leg length difference. On the street, I'm trying to work my way to using my urban walking poles, so I still have support on both sides (replaced and upcoming)

I had physio on Thursday and they asked me why I waited a month post-op to start and told them my surgeon disallowed it for a month. I liked they said "This is a no pain zone. If you feel ANY pain, stop." In fact the whole session started with an ice pack on my hip for half an hour before starting anything. They're basically working with me to improve my leg strength ahead of the next surgery.

Your physio sounds very encouraging and might be just what you need to move forward with #2.

Just so I don't forget to mention it to my OS this week, I have some minor pain/irritation along my pubic bone. It's only about a 2/10 but it's an annoyance. I'm wondering if it's from things shifting since I no longer have a coxa vara joint on the left side, or increased activity and being unbalanced because of leg length

I saw my surgeon on Wednesday and he said everything looks great. The month of 50% weight bearing helped me heal well. He said that my stem is well fixed, and my soft tissue has recoved well enough that he was taking off all of my post-op restrictions.

He was pleased to hear that I'd been incorporating 100% weight bearing into my routine and told me to try it all the time for the next few weeks until my RTHR next month.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom