BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Travelling for surgery?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by eureka43, Aug 10, 2017.

1. eureka43

eureka43 New Member

United States United States
    I wonder if anyone out there can answer what might be a stupid question! My 74 year old Mom needs a hip replacement. She lives in an area where the medical care is to say the least not great. I was hoping she would come out here to me and I could take care of her afterward til she is ok. She insists that if she gets surgery away from her area, no local doc will help her if she has complications or for follow up. She says that she was told that only the surgeon who does the surgery can see her again after. Like forever. I don't know if her docs there are intimidating her or if this is some kind of legitimate policy. Can anyone advise me?

Tags:
  2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Staff Member Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh I don't think so. However, the best thing would be for her to contact a local hip surgeon and ask if he would be kind enough to take over her aftercare when she returns home. She could tell him she is travelling to be looked after by you so he feels no competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. djklaugh

djklaugh Post-Grad

@eureka43 Welcome to BoneSmart! Couple of questions: How far from you does your Mom live? Could she possibly return to your area for any follow up visits needed?

Generally speaking here in the US follow up is a visit at about 5-7 days post-op to check incision and remove sutures if necessary, make sure pain meds are being effective and that patient has sufficient supply of meds; a visit (often with surgeon's assistant) at about 2-3 weeks to see how things are going, make sure there's no infections, etc; a visit with surgeon at about 6-8 weeks to check progress and advise on any other follow up that might be needed such as physical therapy. Then some surgeons like a return visit after 6mo or a year but not all require that. This is not set in stone by any means and your Mom would need to hear from her surgeon what that doctor's routine is.

If your Mom could stay with you for 6-8 weeks after surgery she probably would not need to see any one in her local area.

The other possibility might be a rehab facility after surgery for a week or so -- either in her home area or near you if she chooses that option. Given her age - and if she lives alone - that might be something a local surgeon would recommend. And most likely it would be covered by her insurance and Medicare.

4. zauberflöte

zauberflöte Don

@eureka43 there is no such thing as a stupid question, didn't they teach you that? :heehee: You are a gem, to want to take care of your mom post-op, in your home! Or in a rehab for the first week, to take some of the care burden off you.

My OS's schedule for followup visits is 2 weeks, 6-8 weeks, 5-7 months "but cancel if you are feeling great", 12 months, and never again unless you have problems.

I got an odd comment from my PCP when I called in a couple weeks after my first hip with a question. They said, "you'll have to call your surgeon about that, because they have global coverage for x amount of time. We can't do anything.". The real answer to that would be worth a call to Medicare, your mom's supplemental, or a surgeon. I'd think it might all come down to what the Medicare and supp were able to cover. And watch out for out-of-network :tantrum2:

All that said, how strong is mom, does she drive, is there an urban center near enough to her that could provide good care post-op, etc. She may do really well very soon. Then there's always, can you and she tolerate living together for an extended period? :wink:

5. eureka43

eureka43 New Member

Thanks to you both for your help, I appreciate it! Guess we'll have to call Medicare...I think that "global coverage for x amount of time" is what my mom was told and we'll have to look into that. Thanks again!