TKR Travel after TKR

sierradave

Country
United States United States
Hello - I'm new to the forum and appreciate all of the great information. I do have a question about travel after the TKR. It looks like I'll be scheduled for surgery in early/mid March. I have a pre-planned 10 day trip to Europe set for late May (it was booked before the knee got worse.) I know everyone's recovery is a bit different, but I was wondering about others' thoughts on whether I'll be in shape to travel? I'm 57 and in reasonably good health except for the knee.

:welome:

The earlier you can get the surgery, the better. 12 weeks is what we normally recommend post surgery before doing too much travelling. If you're flying (I guess you are) then a long legroom seat would be highly desirable.

Thanks very much. Luckily, I have the trip insurance in case my recovery is slow and I need to cancel.

Complete recovery from a knee replacemetn does take a fullyear. You may be recovered enough to travel to Europ by late may, but you may not. You're wise to have trip insurance.

Here are a few tips about Flying soon after surgery

Unfortunately, you won’t know how your journey will go until you’re in it. I personally would reschedule your trip or push your TKR until after your trip.

Will do. I have the pre-surgery consult on 12/18. I had a cortisone shot on 11/19, so they say the surgery can't be scheduled until at least mid-late February.

Check with your Dr. Mine didn't want me to take a 12hr car trip at 7 weeks. More concerned with blood clot than my comfort. I went with several pit stops and was fine.

It seems lots of people myself included ( before the first TKR ) thought it was not going to be but so bad and after a month or 2 everything would be back to normal well that is not how it is maybe for a select few but its never been that way for me. After 3 months going for short rides is not that bad by then your getting around better but your still going to hurt whether its from sitting too long standing walking etc and yes the pain will not be as bad but you will hurt and if your planning on a flight to Europe good luck your knee is not going to like you very much. From my experience after 6 months while you may still ache but things are starting to turn around in your favor. If this is your first TKR you should be fine for those like me for example my recovery time is little over a year but I have also had 18 surgeries including 6 replacements and it looks like sometime in Dec I will have my 7th replacement all on the same knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom