BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

finger/thumb Trapeziectomy after TKR

Discussion in 'Other Joints Forum' started by swmrgirl, Feb 16, 2016.

1. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

United States United States
    I'm having my second TKR on April 20th, and am thinking of scheduling my thumb surgery about 7 or 8 weeks later, while I'm still on leave from work. Now I've freaked myself out about having another surgery while I'm still recovering from a new knee, and am just looking fro some input.
    Thanks!

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @swmrgirl , I guess my only hesitation would be that it might be tough to have hand surgery if you are not yet fully mobile from your TKR. Unfortunately we can't predict how fast you will recover. But could you use a walker/crutch/cane if you still needed them post your thumb surgery?

3. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

I was off my crutches and cane by six weeks on the first knee, but you're right, there's no way of telling. I suppose I could go ahead and schedule the hand surgery, and cancel if I need to. Thanks, Jaycey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

I would leave at least 6 months between the two

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. abusby

abusby junior member

Canada Canada
    Speaking just from personal opinion I would do this if I could. I just had bilateral THR 9 weeks ago and if I could schedule my trapeziectomy asap I would. I would make this decision just to get things over with as I am impatient to get back to a normal life! (I also require bilateral TKR but not sure I could face this quite yet!)

• Like Like x 2
  6. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

I feel the same @abusby, but I'm torn. Being one-handed after a recent TKR is beginning to sound like a bad idea. I do wish I had done bilateral TKR, but it was not an option with my OS. My one new knee is great, though.

7. Coppernob

Coppernob senior

I had a trapeziectomy in April last year and certainly wouldn't have wanted to be recovering from knee surgery at the same time. After the thumb op I was in plaster for 7 weeks, then minimal use of the hand until 12 weeks after surgery, and then a gradually building up to use the joint as normal. My surgeon told me it would be at least 12 months before full strength was regained, and this is the case. I'm very nearly there but there are still a couple of lifting jobs that I know I can't do safely yet.

I'm just thinking of a scenario where you fell, automatically put your hand out to save yourself and ended up damaging both your knee and your thumb. My eyes are watering just thinking about it! My advice would be to wait until your knee sugary is over and done with and then see how your recovery goes before booking anything. Linda X

8. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

Thanks for the info Linda, @Coppernob. I'm inclined to wait until next year since my first knee is still healing and the second won't be far behind. I think that's about all my body can handle at once.

9. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I also think that the surgeon will be reluctant to schedule a surgery so close to the TKR when the risk of infection is so high. I don't think you yourself will really want to take that risk.

10. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

Hi Kelly - My OS's office called to say he wants me to wait a minimum of 4 months, but the hand surgeon told me I could have the surgery as soon as I feel up to it. I'll take the good advice I've gotten here and wait until next spring... I do not want to invite trouble.

11. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had my knee done in April and my carpal tunnel surgery in July. That worked okay for me. I noticed it a little more going up stairs. Bad knee needs hand support. TKR knee does just fine.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
    Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
    Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

Hi @swmrgirl Good luck tomorrow! I had a more minor surgery on my knee last October and decided to do the right carpal tunnel at the same time. I had to use a walker for a short time after so they gave me one that I used by leaning on my forearms, rather than the usual kind. I'm having a more major knee surgery next month, and am also having the left carpal tunnel release at the same time since I'll also be using a walker for a while. If I had to use crutches, I'd wait on the CT release. Waiting for your hand surgery is your choice and depends on what you and your doctors decide will work best for you. I'm a huge chicken and the thought of him doing my CT surgery while I'm awake and in his procedure room by his office is more than I can take, thus the double surgery.....lol.

I notice you're in Northern California...what part? I'm in Fair Oaks which, if you don't already know, is next door to Sacramento. Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow and I'll look for you on the other side.

• Like Like x 2
  13. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

Hi @lovetocookandsew - thanks for the well wishes. I'm expecting good things to happen tomorrow. You are braver than I. I've decided not to do the thumb for six months (Josephine's suggestion). After giving it some thought, I feel that it's just too much all at once... I'm the chicken here!

I do know where Fair Oaks is. I live in San Anselmo, about 20 miles north of SF. Go Giants!!!

Hope your surgeries go well. I'll be in touch soon :)

14. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

Giants yes! I was born in SF, grew up watching them, and have been a lifelong fan.

I'm not brave...lol...otherwise I'd wait and do the CT later. it's easier for me to let him do it in conjunction with another surgery rather than having to do it while I'm awake later......:gaah: Of course since I don't know what you're having done exactly, waiting is likely best for you since that's what you decided. Good thoughts tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  15. kayak59

kayak59 senior

I will let you all know how I progress: hand surgery five weeks after hip replacement. Its going to be interesting!

16. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

All the best!