TKR Total TKR on 3/22

Gooddkitty

Country
United States United States
Had right TKR on 3/22 went home 3/23. Doing so much better than thought i would be. Am able to get in and out of bed by myself. Pain is not to bad. Just not sleeping well.

Welcome to recovery and congrats on your new knee! It sounds like you're off to a great start. Sleep will regulate, but until then, nap when you're able. Wishing you comfort and a smooth, easy recovery!

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome @Gooddkitty and congratulations on your TKR.

Sleep is elusive for most of us during the early days of recovery, but it does get better with time.

You’ll find lots of good information in the articles Layla shared. Using BoneSmart advice really helped me in my recovery 18 months ago.

Pleas let us know how we can help!

Hi there Gooddkitty,
How are you doing? We'd love to read about your recovery. I do hope you're enjoying steady progress.
It's a special day...Happy One Month Anniversary! Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@Gooddkitty

It has been 5 weeks since TKR and I am still in pain. Not sleeping at night. Will this ever end? No more pain meds from the doctor also. Just Motrin and Tylenol. They think I should not have to use RX pain meds any more. Stopped physical therapy. Thought it was making it worse.

Hello @Gooddkitty,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Five weeks is just a drop in the bucket compared to a normal year-long recovery. Doing your daily activities, but gently, will be all the PT you need. PT that leaves you in pain is bad pain and you are much better off without it.

Try Tylenol PM as a sleep aid. It works :)
ice and elevate for swelling and pain. My doc would not sign off on more pain meds about the same time frame.

It sounds normal. If OTC pain relief doesn't help ask your primary care doc if he can prescribe pain meds for you. I used pain meds at 5 weeks and beyond. Not much, but I did need them occasionally.
Ice, elevate, take Tylenol on a schedule. If that doesn't help then ask your pcp.
For me, I started to feel better about the 7 week mark.
Its probably best that you stopped PT.

I'm nine weeks P/O and still take occassional prescription Codeine, not often but sometimes I need it. The whole medical society is obsessed about people getting addicted. The Morphine I was given P/O barely helped the pain, never mind got me high or addicted. I wonder how many of these Doctors have been through this brutal op, not many I guess or maybe they'd be more sympathetic. I hope your GP will prescribes something for you. xx

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Goodkitty :wave:
I hope your days are better than they were last time you posted.
With any luck the pain has eased and sleep is improving. Please ket us know how you're doing as time allows. We'd like to support you on your healing journey.
A great week to you!
@Gooddkitty

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom