BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Total Right Knee Replacement 1-22-19

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by whtrose3, Jan 11, 2019.

1. whtrose3

whtrose3 new member

United States United States
    Hi, I having Total Knee Replacement on my right knee in about 1-1/2 weeks. I am scared. I have anxiety and depression from having a nervous breakdown about 20 years ago.
    I just went through an educational class at the hospital and have all of my physicals, EKG, blood tests etc. done now and am cleared for surgery. The educational class and my family physician have helped me feel quite a bit better than a did a couple of weeks ago.
    I am more afraid of the blood clots and things that can go wrong, which of course I hope nothing does. Any inspiration and thoughts would be greatly appreciated to get me through this. Thank you.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @whtrose3 - and :welome:

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

And here is the approach to recovery that we recommend:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

3. Kenello

Kenello junior member

I'm glad you felt a little better after your class. I am getting more anxious as my date for LTKR on Jan. 17 approaches, which I think is normal. Reading this forum helps me a lot, and hopefully you will gain information to help ease some of your fears. I am spending some time each day picturing positive outcomes (walking without pain etc.), and try to catch myself when my thoughts drift toward the gruesome aspects of the surgery itself.

4. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

Hi there and welcome! You will find so much information and support here. This recovery is pretty tough with a lot of ups and downs but you will be fine! I have learned so much in the 5 weeks since I had mine. Just be kind to yourself and don't expect too much too soon. There are good days and bad days but I continue to see improvement. The best part is all my awful arthritic pain is absolutely gone. Keep your eye on the prize and reach out here for help, with questions or just to vent. Someone here has most probably been through anything that should come your way and can offer insight or just an ear to listen. Your in the right place!

• Friendly Friendly x 1