Reverse Shoulder Replacement Total reverse shoulder replacement

Claud

Country
United States United States
Hi guys
. I’m into my second week of a total reverse shoulder replacement.
And I am basically by myself.
The only thing I can tell you guys that is so so so important is to prepare for this.
By this I don’t mean going online and finding all kinds of snaps and clothing to prepare for this and I mean preparing for this by daily activities with your shoulder is getting operative in a sling and figuring out how to do this. Before the actual surgery ! That’s what it’s all about.
And by this I definitely mean practicing...... if it requires you to get a sling in advance and to prepare using it to figure out how to get in and out of it then Do it.
If it requires practicing. For me surgery was replacement was in my dominant right shoulder ...so using my non-dominant hand was so important to me And getting creative as I needed to handle this for the most part on my own.

In the End when it will happens you will be ready !!!!

. I’m in my second week of course when I start the rehab in a Month or so I may go thru some hell with pain but dam I’m stronger than it and it to will pass. And I will get over this.

Because of an accident I had in 2018 I have had my hip replaced I have had both my knees replaced at the same time. And for the most part by myself.
And believe me preparation like painting a house
It is 99.9% . Prep prep prep!

good luck all

@Claud Welcome to the other side of shoulder surgery. Yes, preparation is key to any of this recovery.

I'm going to tag @Jamie who is our resident expert in TSR having gone through it herself.

Meanwhile can you tell me which shoulder you had replaced and the date of your surgery? I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

Hi, @Claud....welcome to BoneSmart. I strongly support what you say about preparing for life in recovery from a shoulder replacement. There are many adaptations that will need to be made temporarily as a person recovers. So you are on the right path. I'll enjoy hearing how you progress. You will get stronger now that you have a new joint. As I'm sure you know, that comes with time. Your therapy shouldn't be painful, though. Maybe a little discomfort now and then, but if it actually causes pain, then that would be the time to ask your therapist to scale things back a bit. It is a slow process, though. With a reverse shoulder replacement, you are teaching new muscles to perform the work the rotator cuff muscles used to do. But slow and steady will get the job done!

@Claud - I can't imagine going thru it on your own. I had rotator cuff repair and was originally expecting my son to only be with me for the first few days. Because of COVID, his school closed and he's been here the entire time. Even with practicing, I don't think you can really appreciate what you will and won't be able to do until you're in the situation. I did try to be mindful of how/when I used my arm (also my dominant arm) to figure out some work around, but I really had no clue just how weak that arm would be and for how long. The first time my son was going to be gone for the weekend (just across town), I figured out my menus and had him bring things up, open boxes and jars, etc so that I could prepare food on my own while he was gone. Can you find someone to come over once or twice a week and put together a "honey do" list? Maybe even a neighborhood teenager?

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013