Revision THR Total Removal

4petesake

Country
United States United States
Now I am so frustrated. This is not about me . I am the coach for a person that has gone through three hip surgeries on one side until this last , which is the fourth on the same side,and is total joint removal. Let me tell you he has arthritis in both hips also both shoulders. We have made countless trips back and forth to Boise from La grande Oregon. this has now gone on for four years or better. The first replacement was doing fine till he fell.11/2/2016 was the first surgery,TOTAL HIP ARTHROPLASTY REVISION 4/30/2018 then on 7/11/2018 TOTAL HIP ARTHROPLASTY POSTERIOR APPROACH REVISION and finally 1/07/2020 OPEN REDUCTION INTERNAL FIXATION FEMUR PROXIMAL total removal of hip. He is now in Meridian . Got his surgeries done in Meridian Idaho. He is at a rehab facility telling me he wants to come home . Now I know that stretching is one of the most needed after surgery. He has no one in our hometown that can make sure he gets that done. He was trying to tell me he would be better off at home. This I know is not true as he has no one to exercise him here. Im sure he would sit in his elec.chair and do nothing. Can anyone help me ? I know they wanted him there for 3 weeks, but he is going to try to leave After only 16 days of physical therapy, im sure the DR will ask him if he has someone at home to take care of him, and im also sure he will tell them yes to just try and get released. He also owns a dog that sleeps in the same bed as he. Im at wits end. please any advise would be greatly appreciated .

Hello, @4petesake

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your concern for your friend, and I understand why he's getting stir-crazy, but I don't think we can advise you, for several reasons:
  • Did you contact us with the full knowledge and consent of your friend? We can't give advice without his permission.
  • If you do have his permission, we don't have enough knowledge of his health history and condition to be able to give accurate and appropriate advice. For example, it is unusual to need so many revisions of a hip replacement. Was the initial one done because of an accident? What was the reason for the Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of his femur? And has his entire hip joint been removed now - and why?
  • Why has he needed an electric wheelchair?
  • Ordinarily, people don't need a lot of physiotherapy (PT) after a hip replacement, but we have no way of assessing whether or not this therapy is essential to his recovery now.
If you come back with confirmation that you have your friend's permission to seek advice and give further medical details, we may be able to help you some more.

It would be even better if your friend himself joined BoneSmart and asked for our advice.

He should have adequate resources such as Home Health which would provide PT, OT, nursing, Meals on Wheels and other services in LeGrande OR.
Have your friend talk to social services in the rehab facility. He will need all those services regardless of when he is discharged.

Pumpkln's suggestion is the answer for you. Home Health can be a wonderful resource for someone who lives alone.

I'm assuming if he manages to get released from the facility where he is, he would be released into the hands of whoever will drive him home. This person should be part of the discharge process which includes discussions of who is available to help with care and setting up Home Health services once he is back home.

Would that person bringing him home be you? If so, I suggest you make an effort to be there in plenty of time to be available for the discharge meeting. In fact, I don't see any problem with you contacting the facility and letting them know you are his transportation and will be the one to get him settled at home and you'd like to be part of the discharge meeting. Most facilities want another set of ears as they go through this vital care information exchange.

Once he's home, therapists will evaluate his home situation and arrange for visits and an exercise program. I understand you are concerned about your friend. But sometimes there is only so much an outside person can do.

You also should suggest that this person prepare a Medical Durable Power of Attorney to establish someone who would be responsible for medical decisions in case something happened to him and he could not voice decisions himself about his care. It doesn't sound like he has this vital document in place.

Hi and welcome to the forum on your friend's behalf. It would be nice if he would join in ... if nothing more than to keep hiss mind occupied with people in similar situations.

I have had three ops on my hip (with a knee replacement for good measure on the same leg) but I am curious as to why your friend had the revision on the first place and then to have the total removal. I had the revision to to a slip and fall pushing the stem through my femur then the removal (for five months) due to infection. I was bed/wheelchair bound for 18 months but am now learning to walk again. It has been a struggle but I am slowly getting there walking with an arm crutch.

In the meantime I would like to say you are very kind advocating for your friend and I wish him nothing but the best wishes for a successful outcome.

Walking Cane.jpeg Izzy xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom