TKR Total Left Knee Replacement

@sistersinhim dh usually sleeps wherever I’m not. So if I want the couch, he gets the bed. If I want the bed he gets the couch. I feel bad because he needs his sleep. I can catch up during the day. I feel much better today though.

Even as recently as last week I have had "random roaming pains." Sometimes it's the ankle, the EDL muscle that runs on the lateral side of the shin, the IT band, the calf, my hips, my lower back, etc. etc. I've come to the conclusion, IMHO that for me, my entire body has had to adjust to having a straight leg! My gait is different know and I work on my posture a lot, thanks to PT! I do think more than just our "wounded knee" is at play here! :what:

Also, with those moving pains, most woke me up somewhere between 2:30 & 3:30 AM every night, even last week 2 nights in a row (as I posted, most likely from PT). It was livable before I returned to work because I could fall asleep around 5-8:30 AM! Now when it happens I have to just push through because at 5:00 AM I'm starting to get ready for work! :sad:

I hope thinks have settled for you now, Happy Sunday!?

@Macknit random pains are strange for sure. It’s like, why am I hurting there?

I am so tired today. Any movement wears me out. Not sure how much sleep I got last night but I know for certain I didn’t get enough. Trying to stay awake so I can just pass out at bed time. DH took me to my weight watchers meeting this am. I haven’t been in 2 weeks and I miss all my WW friends. I’ve lost 7.2 lbs since surgery. I know I’ll probably gain it back once I get back to normal but I’m hoping it stays off. Then I met a friend for a manicure. It was nice getting out, and the nail salon was very accommodating to me. Dinner is on the stove, chicken and dumplings. I’ve done a lot today and my entire body is letting me know.

My anxiety is on high alert. As I’ve said before every little thing makes me freak out. Like the calf pain, am I getting a blood clot, now the fact that I get so tired getting up and moving. I know it’s just lack of sleep.

You are doing too much activity for less than 3 weeks post op. You are tired because you are feeling the energy drain of healing from this very major surgery, which leaves practically no energy for anything else.

Trying not to sleep during the day does not make us sleep better at night, in the early part of recovery. Unfortunately, lack of sleep is par for the course.

In the Recovery Guidelines that we gave you are articles about the energy drain, sleep deprivation, and a week by week activity guide. Maybe if you reread those you will understand better what your body is trying to tell you.

I know it’s nice to get out and do normal things, but you need to pace yourself better. If you don’t, the exhaustion can make the outing counterproductive. This recovery is long, but try to keep in mind that it is temporary. :console2:

@Jockette thank you. I’ll go back and read about energy drain. I didn’t stay for my WW meeting just checked in and weighed in then DH took me back home. The nails should have waited another week. I know that now. But I just wanted to feel a little normal for a little bit. If I could have fallen asleep today I probably would have, but I cannot get comfortable right now so sleep eludes me for today. Plus I’ll be back to being along tomorrow and I wanted to enjoy being around DH today.

Tomorrow is therapy at 1:30, I’m not looking forward to that as I still can’t engage my quad to do leg lifts. Then my follow up with OS on Tuesday. I can’t wait to see him and have my bandage removed.

I totally understand how you feel, I’ve been there.

If you are not up to going to PT tomorrow, cancel the appointment. You don’t have to go to every appointment they make. They make too many for us, anyway. After the busy day you had today (that was full of natural PT) you’d be wise to stay home tomorrow and rest.

Don’t worry about the leg lifts. I refused to do them because they hurt my lower back. It took several weeks but eventually I could get my leg up on my elevating wedge by myself. It took me a long time to realize that I was actually doing a leg lift when I put my leg on the wedge!:doh: And it happened without my “working on it!”

Your knee/leg will come along fine if you just relax and accept it as it is right now, it’s working so hard to heal the onslaught that is knee replacement surgery. PT can be helpful, if we have the right therapist. But too often we are asked to push our knee beyond it’s current ability. Don’t let your PT do that to you.

Regaining our ROM/quad strength/etc. is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion, and other abilities, are right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Early on in the PT process they should offer helps, such as stretchy bands to help you. They may give you a help like some use getting the new leg up on the bed. As you gain strength you'll not need them.

Hello fellow TKRs

I need a pep talk. I’m 2 months out and still waking up at night in pain and have pain walking. I’m trying to get back to work but find high speed driving on I 95 daunting. Am I being impatient or should I be doing something different in therapy or pain management?

@Starsfan22 they never sent me home with any assistive devices other than my walker. I have actually been using the dogs leash when I’m on the couch when I need help moving my leg. My bed is high so I am able to raise my leg to the side and get it on the bed. Then up there I have a belt from a bathrobe that I keep close if I need help moving.

I was able to find a way to elevate my leg in bed with 2 pillows and that really helped me last night with all the activity from yesterday. So I will try that again tonite.

Hi @Amymom

Welcome to Bonesmart! It would be great if you would start a Recovery thread where we can talk about your recovery. Let me know if you need help with that.

@flacie1 I'm sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch. If I'd never found BoneSmart, I'd be more of a mess than I am already because BoneSmart helped me understand what to expect.

Among the many things I've learned here on BS is that recovery is not linear but more of a roller-coaster. I think that statement is so so true. One day I'm good, the next, not so. One night something will work, the next night, no.

I think you are doing a LOT given you are under three weeks out post-op. I read the activities of people and I cannot imagine. I admire your ability to attempt a Weight Watchers meeting...I cannot imagine. I've been outside for more than 5 minutes just once since surgery and that was to see my OS for the first post-op visit. I cannot imagine doing anything outside of my home right now.

I feel I'm slagging behind 'cause I barely have the energy to do my ADLs, ambulate around the home, get Ernie outside a few times a day to do his business, empty the dishwasher, make a small meal. With little activity, I am beat.

It takes time for our bodies to heal from this surgery. It really is major surgery.

@tlfiore you are so right about the recovery. I guess since I’ve been been getting out for therapy since day 4, I just figured little outings would be ok. I didn’t stay for my WW meeting and some kind members let me jump in line so I didn’t have to wait. So I really wasn’t there that long. My nail appt was only 40 mins. I struggle with not being as active as I was. I know I need to get up and move around the house, but if I don’t have to I won’t.

I forced myself to make dinner, I am so sick of eating out and my son is too. He has been so excited on the days I’ve made dinner. Today I’m planning on making chili. Will probably make that in the crock pot. DH has all the laundry caught up so I don’t have to worry about that. Therapy today and follow up tomorrow. I can’t wait for that. I want this dressing off my knee. I probably could have taken it off myself but my discharge papers say to leave it until my follow up. My mom said I could remove it but I’ll wait. Knee in front is still numb and I expect that to last a while.

Sleep, well I stayed in bed until 4:00 am. I was up multiple times trying to find a comfortable spot. By 4:00 am I couldn’t bear it any longer and come down to the couch and joined my old friend ice.

I didn’t stay for my WW meeting just checked in and weighed in then DH took me back home. The nails should have waited another week. I know that now. But I just wanted to feel a little normal for a little bit.
Been there, done that!
It's so easy to do too much, because we want to feel "normal" again.

I found, though, that for quite a long time, doing just one outside thing was enough. Trying to do more just resulted in extreme tiredness and increased pain and swelling.

I forced myself to make dinner, I am so sick of eating out and my son is too. He has been so excited on the days I’ve made dinner. Today I’m planning on making chili. Will probably make that in the crock pot. DH has all the laundry caught up so I don’t have to worry about that.
I know you want to help, but beware of doing too much, too soon. Re-read this article and do try to follow its recommendations: Activity progression for TKRs

Knee in front is still numb and I expect that to last a while.
That knee numbness could take some time to go away:
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

Headed to follow up with OS. Can’t wait to get the dressing off. Worried he’s gonna be upset with ROM, got to 78 yesterday at therapy. But it is what it is and I have greatly improved since a week and half ago when I was struggling for 50. PT said my quad is waking up but it’s slow. Feeling pretty good today. I got a solid 4 hours of sleep before I headed down to the couch at 3:00 am.

Appt went great. OS put me in an immobilzer brace since my quad isn’t awake and he doesn’t want me falling. I see him again in 2 weeks. Got the bandage off and he seemed ok with my progress so far. What a relief.

If only I had found this page before my surgery!!

At 7.5 weeks post TKR, I am ok to walk around the house in the morning but once I stop, the swelling is so bad I can't walk but a few feet. I still use a cane.
My ROM is about 90 ish
Maybe I'm in the depressive stage, but I'm devastated my recovery is so bad.
I'm less than 60 years old and I can't believe this is happening.

The Sloth

@the sloth, so sorry you are down. It's a long road, you'll get better. Keep your chin up and ask for help here.

@flacie1 how do they determine the quad has not woken up?

@Starsfan22 I guess they can tell because I cannot do any leg lifts. Like if I’m laying on my back I can’t raise my leg. It’s very frustrating, my brain is telling my leg to lift and it’s not doing anything.

@TheSloth im sorry you’re having a hard time but 7.5 weeks is not that long. I saw on another thread someone posted their ROM progress and it took them 4-5 months to get to 90. (I think that’s what it was). Bonesmart has been so helpful to me and all the advice I’ve gotten here has made me realize that everyone is different and our recoveries are all different.

@flacie1 i wore an immobilizer brace for two weeks after surgery. My surgeon uses them on everyone until the quad is strong enough. I guess you can tear your quad muscle if you fall. I thought something was wrong with me but other than being a pain because it slid down all the time it wasn’t too bad. It definitely gave me more stability

@flacie1 I'm happy to hear that overall, your post-op visit went well. Please don't be discouraged about the leg brace. Apparently, we need our quad muscles in order to have the strength in our leg(s) to walk, bear weight, stretch, flex...all of it. You are doing well and I think things will be okay.

I still do not feel anywhere near ready to graduate from my walker to a cane. My home-based PT tried me on a cane when I was discharged to outpatient last Friday. She said "I was too unstable and wobbly for a cane." I do not have great control over my operated (right) leg and knee either.

I took a nice long shower today. I couldn't wait any longer for husband to get home from work, so he could "spot"me, so I braved it alone. The warmth of the water feels so good flowing over my incision. Fortunately, even though our house is very old c.1872, our original first floor bathroom was renovated a while back. The entire upstairs second level (including a massive spa bathroom/shower, which I dislike) was added in 1998. There was were only two very small bedrooms making up that section of the second level...that was it.

Anyhow, I bought one of these slide along, half-in half out bathtub benches for my first level bathroom. I'm essentially living on the first level (due to the 15 steep stairs up to level two, as well as other things.). I LOVE this bathtub bench! I'd be unable to shower without it 'cause I do not have good strength, or control in my right knee and leg. My stamina also seems quite poor. The bench is so so nice. I think I'll continue using it after I recover

Recently, I have horrible jolts of pain and discomfort from time-to-time right over/near my surgical scar. At times, it feels like someone is picking the top of my knee apart with a cutting tool, it hurts that much.

It will be alright.

Hang in there, friend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie