• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Total left hip coming January 15, 2020

Joanna312

Country
United States United States
Cool! I posted a thread! I have known the surgery was planned for January since October and I am excited, relieved, and horrified at the same time. I am ready to get rid of the hip that tries to drop me when I walk.

BruceH

Country
Hi Joanna,

That's awesome!

I've been on a long wait myself, date was set in September but surgery isn't until January. Now it's 5 weeks away but it still seems like it's a long way out. I'm at the point that I just want to get the surgery over so I can start healing and get away from this recliner!

Bruce

OP
OP
J

Joanna312

Country
What is your anticipated date VSlowLife?
BruceH does yours scream if you move wrong in that recliner? We’re all gonna feel better soon! FYI my husband has had 3 total knees and everyone says that these hips aren’t as intense. Woo hoo!

Last edited:

BruceH

Country
@Joanna312

Usually the recliner is the most comfortable place for me to be. However, there have been times when a change of position will move the pain from bearable to unbearable. Every once in awhile I'll wake up in bed with bad pain.

The only form of exercise I have left is walking my dogs but it's down to a few times a week. The pain is mostly bearable while walking provided the dogs don't get excited about something and pull. It's after the walk that the pain comes on strong.

My hope is that I can keep walking the dogs until surgery. Others have told me that keeping the muscles limber and in shape goes a long ways towards helping with surgery and recovery.

Bruce

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I think we all had your same feelings prior to surgery. Honestly, by the time my surgery day came, I was more than ready to get rid of that pain and stiffness. It is nice to meet surgery “friends” on here as everyone understands what it is like so they are here to listen when you feel like venting or when you have a question and they are always around for support when you need it. I found this forum so very helpful prior to my surgery as well as during my recovery and I think you will, too. Keep us posted as the days go along and don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have. Wishing you well.

CarfraC

Country
Wow. I remember selecting Dec 13th (yup, last Friday) in early November. What pushed me over the edge to take action was my need to function taking pain medication. For me that's not a quality of life. Then again, my spouse listening to my hip pain comments for 8 years wasn't quality either

I'm so thankful it's all over and the healing has begun. The pain I feel (now) post OP is from the new parts in my body and the trauma my hip & leg went through.

Immediately though what I notice is my lower back doesn't hurt hardly at all anymore.

My biggest fear was addiction to pain meds so I refused full doses and tried to go longer than recommended. What a huge MISTAKE. I now take 1 pill every 6 hours a prescribed and I'm feel much more emotionally stable. I'm excited to remove my bandages in a cpl days and start to very my life back.

Thanks For these blogs. I'm also learning to slow down and heal heathfully.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Joanna312 I hope the remainder of your wait time goes easily and quickly. It can get so stressful when waiting while you are having pain. I had that "drop me when I walk" symptom too. It's pretty nasty.
The best part of the surgery is that the grinding sharp pain that threatens to drop you is gone immediately after the surgery. There are sore soft tissues, and other surgery related discomfort but the grinding sharp glass feeling inside the joint was gone!

Come on January for you guys :flwrysmile:

leejaa

supremo
Country
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery with great pain control. See you on the sunny side (recovery) soon

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi:It will be so nice to get a new lease on life, and get rid of that hip pain.
Healing hugs in advance...:loveshwr:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
All the best to you tomorrow!
Will look forward to following your journey.
Wishing you comfort as you wait. See you on the healing side soon! :wave:
@Joanna312

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wishing you the best with surgery tomorrow and the end to that nasty hip pain! See you in the recovery side!

Hip4life

Country
Healing is right around the corner, now! See you on that side soon. Blessings for a smooth surgery and pain-controlled recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
WaterLily
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom