Knee Infection* Total Knee Revision due to infection

Annie3791

Country
United States United States
Could you tell me what group I should join for help? I had a TKR in 2017 and my recovery was great. In 2021 I had an MSSA infection in the knee prothesis. I had the first knee prothesis removed and a new Revision Knee Replacement. Since then, my knee was sore and swollen for several months. On Sept 1 2022, I developed an abscess on my knee which was removed and tested for MSSA bacteria, which was not present in the knee.
I am recovering from this surgery and I am on intravenous Daptomyicin. I am very frightened that I will never get back to being able to walk normally or losing my leg entirely. I am highly motivated in recovery and do my exercises faithfully.
Where could I find people like me and also find who are the top doctors who treat this?
Thankyou in advance for any info you can provide me.
Here are the dates for my knee journey.
Dec,2017 knee replacement
March 2021 - MSSA staph infection I knee prosthesis, a potion of the prosthesis is removed.
May 2021 staph infection removed from my spine and elbow
July 6, 2021 - staff infection returned after going off of antibiotics. The remaining pieces of the prosthesis is removed from my knee.
November 2021, total knee revision
September 1, 2022 - hematoma removed from my knee. Staph infection was not detected. On daptomycin for 4 weeks. The incision has taken a month to heal.

Last edited:
@Annie3791 Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you are dealing with an infection.

To find other members dealing with the same issue look for the red "Knee Infection" prefix in the knee recovery area. I have added this prefix to your thread. If you click on the red prefix you will find a list of threads dealing with knee infection.

Please keep us updated on your situation.

@Annie3791 I too had a sore just below my knee, after having the TKR in 2018 . l was treated for nearly a year for a staff infection . The sore would go away with antibiotic and then return .Finally , an MRI showed a sinus track from the knee to down where the sore was , the knee joint was infected . lt you look at my original post on the recovery side, you can see the journey l have had with this infected knee. If you type in the word infection by the little spyglass in the upper right side of the site , you'll get a list of all people that have had infection . My story is about 7 stories down at least last time l looked . You should find lots of good information there.

@Annie3791, please tell us the exact dates of your procedures and we'll add them to your signature for you. Being able to see your dates on your posts each time makes it so much easier for others to know what and when you've been through them.

Greetings. I’m sorry to read about your dilemma, but interested in it. I had a TKR in January 2020. I developed some calcium calcium growth off of my patella which was removed last July, through arthroscopic surgery.

It’s over a year later and I still have a low grade bacterial infection in the knee.. These infections are very difficult to get to detect and treat. My CRP and sedimentation rate blood markers have been very low and well within range over the past year. I have taken oral antibiotics since my last surgery on a daily basis.

I have a revision surgery scheduled in December and worry about the same aspects of recovery: will my soft tissues ever develop the strength they had? How much lingering pain will continue to exist after the second implant? Will, I be resigned to limping around in the future as I have over the past six months? It can be scary and unpleasant. I’m hoping for a good outcome – and wish the same for all of you!

Recovery from these procedures can take a long time. Think positive!

Cheers.

All the best with your upcoming revision surgery, i am still dealing with pain and limping. My doctors are going to keep me on antibiotics for a long time, because of my infection.
But I can walk and get around ok. But I am taking it easy and not pushing my knee.

All the best to you, please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

I’m nearing the end of week 5 of recovery. My blood markers are improving. CPR is just one point away from being in the normal range and sedimentation is in the normal range.

The biggest challenges are dealing with pain and swelling and sleep. Those appear to be very common and certainly were issues during my original TKR,

I’ve been getting around very well with a walker, but I’m being careful because I have spacers in the knees for another seven weeks. I’ve read where the complexity of revision surgery creates longer and more difficult recovery, so I’m hanging in there with optimism.

Best wishes to everyone who is in a similar situation. I always try to take these experiences as learning experiences. How can I become better, stronger and more intentional? I also realize that so many people have it so much worse than I do.

Gratitude is a good thing.

I need help. I had an infection in my knee replacement in 2021 which resulted in a revision total knee replacement. Since this procedure in November, 2021, I have had pain in my new knee ever since. My doctor told me to strengthen my quads, which I did, he said I was fine and could get back to golf and biking. I can't do either of these activities without experiencing terrible pain level 7 on the pain scale.
I want my life back, it even hurts to walk. I have lost faith in my surgeon, does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the pain and help me get back to walking without pain?

Hello, I am sorry you continue to struggle with pain. You've endured a lot. Since it's been over a year since your last surgery and you're still uncertain and suffering with a great deal of pain, will you consider a second opinion? If you're willing, but don't know of a reputable surgeon, there is a possibility Admin can recommend one. Please let us know if you need assistance and depending upon your location we may be able to help.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

We will work on updating your signature. Please let us know which knee it is so your signature can reflect that information. Also, let us know if you'd prefer an updated thread title and we'll be happy to change it for you. Wishing you lots of comfort and a reduction in the pain you're dealing with. :console2:
@Annie3791

Layla, I am so confused by maneuvering on the web site. I wish I had a step by step cheat sheet to use the website.
Yes I would like a second opinion, however I’m in Florida, southwest. But I want to thank for your kindness and support. I wish I could find some help to heal the pain. I’ve been waiting for my body to heal itself, but it’s been over a year and I am still in pain.
In September 2022, I had an infected hemophoma removed from the same knee that had the revision. I used to be vey athletic, but not anymore.
I would really like to get a second opinion. Pleas let me know if there is someone who could help me. I could always fly to see someone. Thanks Layla

Thanks for answering my question. The info will be applied to your signature.

Following is information on how to navigate the forum.
How To Use This Forum
If you have any specific questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

I can imagine you've grown weary after all you've been through and just want to lose the pain and regain your health and ability to enjoy life fully. I am so sorry. I notified Admin to see if we can offer a recommendation for a second opinion so please check back frequently to see what we may have as a suggestion.

Take care and hang in there. Hopefully brighter days are on the way.
@Annie3791

@Annie3791 .... here is a surgeon in Florida that is a possibility. If you are willing to fly, I would recommend the Hosipital for Special Surgery in New York City. If you're interested in going there, I can provide some surgeons to see. Be sure that any surgeon you talk with brings in an infectious disease doctor to help evaluate your situation.

Orlando, Florida

Dr. George Haidukewych, MD

* Recommended by Brian (Orthodoc) for difficult revisions and infections knees and hips
Orlando, Florida He does one and two stage revisions. Good with infections.

Orlando Health
1222 S. Orange AVE
5th Floor, MP 43
Orlando, FL 32806
Phone: (407) 649-6878

Internationally recognized for joint replacement surgery and trauma, George J. Haidukewych, MD, serves as director of orthopedic trauma, chief of complex joint replacement, academic chairman for the Orthopedic Faculty Practice and professor at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine. He trained at the prestigious Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

Dr. Haidukewych specializes in total hip and total knee replacements as well as orthopedic trauma. He brings extensive experience in the management of failed and infected total hip and total knee replacements and in reconstruction of the joints after trauma.

Thank you Jamie, I have an appt to see Dr. Haidukewych in Orlando on Thursday, I also sent my records to Dr Amar Ranawat at the HSS. At this point I am hoping that the pain and ability to use my leg to play golf, pickleball, long walks. I am so discouraged by not being able to use my leg to do some of the things I enjoy. I could only manage a 1/4 mile walk this morning before the pain became too much. My revision was almost a year and a half ago. Sorry to be such a downer, I really appreciate your referral to Dr. Haidukewych. I'll let you know how it goes. Its a 3/1/2 hr drive for me to go to Orlando, but I am hoping that he can help.

Safe travels and best wishes for you appointment on Thursday. We will look forward to hearing from you.
@Annie3791

I hope these referrals work out for you. I'll be waiting to hear progress.

Good luck, hope you get answers to your pain problems.

Thanks to all of you. It’s so nice to have people who understand the medical issues I am dealing with. In September 2022, I had a very large infected hematoma just below my kneecap. They operated and were afraid the infection had come back, they tested the bacteria and it was not the bacteria that infected my prosthesis. I’ve been on doxycycline since then. This same red like swelling is back in the same place where it was removed in September. I am hoping that dr Haidukewych will be able to help me with this tomorrow.
Thank you again for being so supportive

Hi Annie,
Wondering how the appointment went today and what you thought about Dr Haidukewych?
Hopefully it was insightful and all went well. :fingersx:
@Annie3791

Hi Layla, the appointment with Dr Haidukewych went well. He and his resident were very nice and to the point. Dr H said my knee was infected and I needed another revision. I immediately started crying knowing how horrible the revision process is. I asked him if he could refer me to any other surgeons at HSS for a second opinion. He was very nice about it and I called dr Mathias Bostrom at HSS and sent them all of my records.
They were very nice and said they would review my case and get back to me.
I have called HSS’s many other offices, but they never call you back. This was the first office that was kind and very interested in helping me. I am hoping they will give me an appt to speak with dr Bostrom. If he says I need a revision, I would prefer to have it done at HSS.
I also have a call into my infectious doctor who has been treating the infection the whole time with me. I want to make sure I can hold off the infection with my current antibiotics until the surgery.
I thought Dr H was very good and knowledgeable and knows a lot about revision surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom