TKR Total Knee Recovery in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 6 weeks post op appointment went WELL

That is indeed a great report. I am really glad that you are delaying your return to work, too---you will feel so much better for it.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing!

You are doing so well, a great report. Take your time going back to work and don't feel guilty about it! Your body will let you know when it's ready!:thumb:

Sleep Help

I had been taking Melatonin to help me get some better rest, however, it never felt like it was helping. So, the last couple of nights I have taken Valerian Root (pill form) and I feel like I actually got some sleep! Hope this helps others!

I am 6 weeks out, exactly today, and at PT today it seemed like I finally I had less swelling and more ROM. Weird how that seemed to happen overnight! Could sleep really do that?

MNRTKR 11/2/11

Re: Sleep Help

That is great news! Many of us have had the sleep issues that you are experiencing; I understand how frustrating it can be, but I am glad to read that it is diminishing.

I am not sure about sleep reducing the swelling that quickly, but I did have some monumental leaps in progress, too---sometimes the proverbial snail's pace---then WHAM---a big leap!

You are dong fine! Just hang in there, you are moving forward!

Getting good rest can make a big difference in how things go. I'm glad it's better for you.

That's great if you can start getting more sleep so early in recovery - good for you!:sleep:
Different things seem to work for all of us, I found aiming to get 2 good sleeps every night of about 3 hours worked quite well. I knew I would be awake around 2.30, so got up, took some meds, made a hot water bottle, watched tv for a while then was able to go back to sleep within about an hour for another 3 hours.

If you get stressed about not sleeping well it just gets worse!:rolleyespink:

mn, I just realised that you had 5 recovery threads going! We (I!) prefer people only have one so I can keep track of what's gone before without having to go searching all over the place. It's also more convenient for new members and guests who would like to be able to read your recovery from start to finish.

That really is a great report! Your surgeon sounds a sweetie! But do speak with your boss and organize that phased return to work I mentioned earlier.

I'm glad to hear that your post-op appointment went so well. I'm certainly the oddball for recovery, as I was back to work in 5 weeks. In my case, we have an ice machine at work, which I used a lot. I see other knee patients at PT (for my back injury this time) and try to talk them through things. Its always fun when my PT starts telling everyone to ignore me since I'm the oddball...

No energy at 6 weeks and 3 days

I tried to make a shopping trip out today to Walmart with my daughter, and I found that I just have no energy.....so frustrating! She wants to keep going and going and I just could not do it. Of course, none of the sit down shopping carts were available, so I walked with the shopping cart. I did not go walking today for exercise as planned either. I came home and took pain meds and put my leg up. Any ideas on how to keep that energy coming? When does this get better?

MNRTKR
11/2/11

Re: No energy at 6 weeks and 3 days

Getting tired at this point is perfectly normal. Took me awhile to get through Walmart!!! At about 4-5 months things should start to turn around and you will have less pain and more energy. Remember to be patient and listen to what "your" knee says you can do!!!

Hi mnrkrt:xmrolleyes: I’m about 4 weeks behind you and still need one crutches if I walk without one for a while it gets hard my knee plus swells up you need to listen to your knee I think you will only set yourself back I know everyone heals different I’m not going to push as I hope you don’t it’s a long journey and I hope you feel better

You're just going to have to give it some time! You are not even 2 months out from surgery yet and it takes longer than that for most people to regain strength to do "normal" activity. You don't realize how much is involved with a "simple" shopping trip.

Just keep doing SHORT trips and work up to it. You'll get there.

mnrtkr, I agree with Jamie - I found a simple trip to the supermarket really difficult in the first few weeks - you don't realise how far you're actually walking going up and down the aisles!

Your energy will return but you have to be patient and only plan short trips in the first couple of months, with plenty of opportunity to sit down and rest. You could sit and have a coffee while your daughter runs around the supermarket!:wink1:

I will admit now (don't shout at me Josephine!) that I went alone in a taxi to a supermarket, did the shopping and got a taxi home again 12 days out from surgery - it nearly killed me! Wouldn't advise anyone else to copy my foolishness.:DOH:

Take it easy!:sleep:

Its amazing how taxing even the smallest errand can become. Everyone here is right--make the trips SHORT. Your energy WILLreturn, don't worry about this.

I found that it was a great time to take advantage of TV/books/movies/surfing the internet--things I never seemed to have enough time for before my surgeries!

MN, I did ask you before to keep all your posts about your recovery in one thread. I just merged this one with your recovery thread again.
mn, I just realised that you had 5 recovery threads going! We (I!) prefer people only have one so I can keep track of what's gone before without having to go searching all over the place. It's also more convenient for new members and guests who would like to be able to read your recovery from start to finish.

As for you fatigue, as others have said, it's perfectly normal and I see I never gave you links to these threads which will show you why
Energy drain for TKRs
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery

Also, in this thread there is a suggested regime of activity for these surgeries which, if you check, will advise you on sensible activities for 6 weeks out which was not quite what you just did! :wink1: Some suggestions for home physio (PT)

Weeks 6 and onward
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

I am now at 7 weeks. This Wednesday I started pool therapy and loved it, so went again on my own on Thursday. Today, Friday, I had PT. He is starting to get concerned that I have made no progress in the last week or so. I am kind of stuck at 90 for ROM, extension has always been fine! Today, however, I did make forward rotation on the bike after he moved up the seat another notch. Just wondering if I am doing too much possibly?

I have not had to take any narcotics for quite some time. Should I start that back up and see if it would help? I have been very consistently taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen as my OS had said to do. I ice and elevate as often as I can. I haven't done as much walking as in other weeks, although I have made short trips to the store, etc.

I know I need to have patience and this takes a long time, "yadda yadda yadda"! But I want to make sure I am doing things correctly and I need to get back in work form as soon as possible!

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experiences with me! At this point, I am trusting your judgment 100% as you have been there and done that! :friends:

Well, the key observations are pain and swelling. What are your pain levels on the 1-10 scale? Do you have much swelling? Without that information, I cannot give any sensible informed answers.

Normal pain is very slight...maybe 1 or 2? Today after I have done too much and the PT has been cranking on it...maybe a 6? I have taken pain meds tonight!

Swelling has not been much of an issue. PT said some swelling on outside, but probably more on the inside....reason why I am struggling to improve.

MNRTKR
11/2/11

JO: Is it possible to give this a different title now? I couldn't figure out how to do that.

You can't do it but I will be happy to do it for you. You need to tell me what you want it changed to though! :wink1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024