Revision THR Total hip revision after recurring dislocations

Dee4942

Country
United States United States
Curious if anyone has had revision, I’m in 4 th week of recovery, making progress but worried about dislocating again. ( Dislocated 6 weeks after anterior TH) Find my tendons, nerves get very sore by evening. Would like to hear other’s experiences, recovery timeline etc..

Hi Dee,

What happened to make it dislocate?

Hi S,
Apparently surgeon error. Dislocated while asleep. Had revision done while visiting family. Revision surgeon changed size of cup and leg length.
I had a lot of pain after anterior THR in femoral nerve and I see you did too.
Is it gradually getting better?

Hello @Dee4942 - and :welome:

I'm sorry you had to have a revision. Here's hoping that this time you don't have any problems.

Please will you tell us the full date of your initial hip replacement and which hip it is, as well as the full date of your revision, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here are some guidelines to help you in your recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi there!

Yikes. I am terrified of dislocating. My femoral nerve is getting better. It's still numb, which is weird, but it's reacting more to my brain signals and I can almost straighten my knee.

It's honestly improving faster than I thought it would. They told me it would take a year to recover, but I can walk now with a cane (sometimes a walker when I feel unsteady).
The nerve isn't hurting much, but my other muscles are compensating and causing pain.

Is your nerve pain like barbed wire? They warned me that might happen.

If you are getting sore later in the day, you are probably doing too much, or you might be staying in the same position too long. Are you icing? That helps.

Last edited:
Hi, Yes I think I’ve been trying to do too much but am learning it’s not worth it.
How long are you told the giant pink styrophome triangle needs to stay with with you at night?
Yes I didn’t use much ice on May THA but for the revision it really works well.
For sure I guess ice at night,
My nerve pain felt more Like a deep sunburn. The skin was real sensitive and it was very sensitive to touch and felt hot.

Hi Dee,

I didn't have a styrofoam triangle. Is that to keep you stable? I used pillows for that. Sleeping is definitely hard at first.

So sorry about the nerve pain, too!

Are you still sore by the end of the day? Take it easy, it will get better.

Yes and I imagine I have it because of the dislocation.
I have two more weeks before I can drive. Right now that’s the hardest part because I live alone and I can only ask friends for so many favors! They’ve been great but they need a life too (well as much life as any of us have during Covid.)I’m trying to learn digital art on my new iPad but not sure my concentration is at its best.
I was asked for dates. Here they are
THA anterior 5/20/2020 in Fl. Left
Revision THA 7/7/2020 ( restrained cup and larger head) WI
I can’t get photo to load correctly. I took it in the ER which is why it’s not high quality.

Attachments

• C3E04CEF-53BA-47AE-94A0-8A0179018072.jpeg
    C3E04CEF-53BA-47AE-94A0-8A0179018072.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 227
Hello Dee, :wave: Are you able to order online if you’re in need of a few things?
It may be worth considering if you’re feeling like a burden. Although I’m sure your friends don’t mind helping out and know you’d do the same for them. Aaah...the independence that comes with driving again.:driver:

Dee, will you please post the dates below of your original THR and your revision date also along with which hip it is? It’s so helpful for those stopping by your thread to comment if they can easily see these dates and also that you’ve experienced a revision. Thanks in advance. :)

I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Dee4942

I just put them in my last post. Do I need to do something differently?
Yes Amazon and Instacart are my new best friends. I just feel like going somewhere ( anywhere) but that will come with driving...

Oops, so sorry, you did! I lost track when you were requesting the pics be deleted.
I’ll add them now.

I haven’t tried InstaCart yet but it’s on my list, especially with cold and flu season around the corner. Around the corner, what am I saying ....we’re in the midst of it daily! :gaah:

I understand the cabin fever and trapped feeling while not driving. I never wanted to get and my car and go “nowhere” so bad in my life! :heehee: Hope it comes quickly for you.
@Dee4942

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Dee!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying the long holiday weekend.
We‘d love to hear from you as time allows. All the best until next time. :)
@Dee4942

I’m finding that my revision is healing slowly and my ability to walk still limited. I’m 8 weeks out and still have quite a bit of pain by the end of the day even without pushing myself. I typically do 20 minutes of biking ( stationery) plus gentle walks. I would like to get some PT for balance and to strengthen opposite hip which has replacement and abductor tear. IGood idea?
I accidentally broke the 90 rule by trying to ride a Peloton with the seat set too low. Could that be causing my continuing soreness on side of hip and when I sit? (I’ve changed to recumbent)
I’m stuck not knowing how much to do.
Posterior TLH revision 7/11/20 after initial anterior replacement 5/20 Two dislocations in one hour

Hello @Dee4942
Wondering if you’re still icing at the end of the day when you’re feeling some pain? If not, please consider it. Possibly you should step away from the bike and Peloton until you’re feeling stronger and use walking as your only form of exercise, but not to excess. See if that helps. Once the daily pain has eased then maybe you can slowly start spending time on the stationary bike again. Hope you’re feeling better over the past few days since you posted.

Take care and have a good week. :)

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’ve had many good days and noticed progress since you last posted almost a month ago. Please consider sharing an update if you have time. We’d love to hear from you.
Have a great week!
@Dee4942

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom