• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Ankle total ankle replacement

ramone1961

Country
Canada Canada
Hi all thanks so much for being here.
I had a total ankel replacement a week ago today.
I am in what they call a half boot cast and wraped many times.
I had a nerve block in my leg and think maybe an epidural . I dont remember anything from the surgery . I was told no weight bearing for 2 weeks. I have been off all pain meds for 3 days now.
All seems good except for, im not sure if they are called phantom pains ?
Many times through out the day i feel one of two things, in my mind that is. It feels like i can feel the Dr cutting into my ankel, or it feels like the wound is opening up, both the same feeling ??
Has anyone experienced anything like this ?
Also im a very active person going in to this, I drive a truck for a living and was wondering if i was out to lung thinking i could be back to work in 2 months ?
Dr said plan for 3 off but maybe i would be back to work in 2.
Thanks all so much in advance for your help
Cheers
Ray

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Hi, Ray. Welcome to BoneSmart and congratulations on your new ankle. I know you're anxious to get your life back again, but please don't try to hurry your recovery. You need to allow your body time to heal. Long hours in a truck could be pretty rough on a new joint, so I'm thinking it might be best for you to plan for the full 3 months if at all possible. You want to do everything possible to ensure a successful recovery.

It is a bit odd to feel those specific phantom pains you describe. Is there actual pain that goes along with the feeling that the wound is opening? It may be that you need to adjust your pain medications to get some relief from that.

We have quite a few BoneSmarties in ankle recovery right now, so I suggest you do some reading in their threads to get an idea of what to expect.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind. We're here to help and support you.

OP
OP
R

ramone1961

Country
Canada Canada
Hi all, thanks for being here.
I am 2 and a half weeks post opp total ankle replacement.
Things are going well, stitches were out at 2 weeks and put in walking cast.
My question is, is the walking cast more to protect my ankle than anything else ? In other words I seem to walk ok in my bare feet or slippers with a limp of course. But was wondering if this was bad for the ankle.? Thanks so much
Cheers
Ramone

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Yes, a walking cast is done when more protection is needed. Am I assuming correctly that you don't have a cast and are walking barefoot or with slippers now? If you're walking with a limp, you need to use a walking aid. I would recommend a walker as it gives you the best support until you are able to walk with no limping.

You'll notice that I've merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer that you keep all your posts related to your recovery in a single thread so that we have all your information in one place. Often it's important for us to go back and review your earlier comments before giving you advice for a question or concern. It saves a lot of time not to have to hunt through multiple threads to do this.

So please post here. Let us know if you want a different thread title at any time and we'll get it changed for you.

Larryr

Country
Hi Ramone,
Thanks for posting. I am 11 days post ankle replacement surgery and see my surgeon tomorrow in the hopes he removes my annoying hard cast, staples and puts me in a walking boot. I never experienced the issues you described but rather jolts of pain into my toes that last for only a second or two. I am assuming it’s nerve ends at my toes. Other than that I feel very good. I stopped all pain meds except for Tylenol a week ago.
So you are several weeks ahead of my experience, so it’s interesting to read your experiences and compare to mine.
Thanks for posting and continued good luck.

OP
OP
R

ramone1961

Country
Canada Canada
Hi all, i hope you are all healing well where ever you are at in your journey .
I am at 5 weeks tomorrow and it seems like my ankle is still very swollen .
Would you all say this is normal or should i maybe have it looked at. ?
I see the Dr next week so im close anyway.
Just wondering where you were all at , at the 5 week make after TAR.
I will add a pic if it helps
Thanks very much
Ramone

Attachments

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
At only 5 weeks out swelling is very normal. Are you icing the ankle and elevating when you can? Always put a towel between your skin and the ice pack.

You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

OP
OP
R

ramone1961

Country
Canada Canada
Hi all ,thanks for being here.
I got my new ankle Sep 6 2019, so im just over 3 months .
Seen the Dr 2 weeks ago and he said all looked good. I told him it still causes alot of pain and swelling, he said it should settle down . I no i shound not assume, but i though by 3 months i would have been a little further along. I went back to work at 11 weeks. I still force myself to walk straight and not have a limp, but i still limp alot and by the end of the day it swollen . Always when i wake in the morning its gone down, not to wear my other ankle is but most of the swelling has gone by morning.
Any of you deal with this kind of thing, as you were recovering ?
Thanks so much
Ramone

OP
OP
R

ramone1961

Country
Canada Canada
Hi again, thanks so much for all the replies and your wisdom, Im not sure i could do this with out you all
Amen

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@ramone1961 you will notice that I have once again merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Swelling at this stage is very normal. Keep icing and elevating if you can for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day.

Larryr

Country
Seen the Dr 2 weeks ago and he said all looked good. I told him it still causes alot of pain and swelling, he said it should settle down . I no i shound not assume, but i though by 3 months i would have been a little further along. I went back to work at 11 weeks. I still force myself to walk straight and not have a limp, but i still limp alot and by the end of the day it swollen . Always when i wake in the morning its gone down, not to wear my other ankle is but most of the swelling has gone by morning.
Thanks so much
Ramone
Hi Ramone,
Had my TAR three months ago and understand your frustration. I am also still experiencing pain and swelling as the day goes on and have to be conscious of limping. The slower I walk the less I limp. My surgeon told me Wednesday not to worry, you are doing great for three months and you will continue to improve, but expect pain and swelling for a couple of more months.
So hang in there, things will get better for all of us.

Larryr

Country
Thanks so much
Ramone
Hi Ramone,
Had my TAR three months ago and understand your frustration. I am also still experiencing pain and swelling as the day goes on and have to be conscious of limping. The slower I walk the less I limp. My surgeon told me Wednesday not to worry, you are doing great for three months and you will continue to improve, but expect pain and swelling for a couple of more months.
So hang in there, things will get better for all of us.
Forgot one more thought: on some nights when my ankle has more swelling I ice it and the swelling comes down in less than an hour. You might want to think about that, rather than wait for the swelling to go down over night.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dld1363
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom