Ankle Total ankle replacement

Jim mc

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had a TAR on 23/10/17. It was a Wright Infinity carried out i Oswestry.
As usual the first 2 weeks were spent in plaster with my ankle elevated as much as possible. This was followed by another 3 weeks in an aircast boot. The one only time i had any painkillers was for a headache.
I gave up the crutches just before christmas as they were lethal on the snow and ice.
I am now about 14 weeks post op. The swelling has virtually gone and the only slight pain I have is from the area where the tendons were cut and extra bone removed.
I can walk without any gait (when I remember) and can walk up and down stairs pretty much normally.
Before my TAR I had to walk with my foot turned nearly 90 degrees to avoid bone on bone ankle pain. One of my main problems is teaching my brain that i can walk properly without pain and to relax.
All I can say is so far really good. Much better than before the op. I am planning to walk and play 9 holes of golf next week

Jim mc,
Thanks for starting your thread, happy to hear you are doing well.
Looking forward to hearing about your 9 hole golf game, have fun!

@Jim mc Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for posting about your TAR. This "Other Joint Replacement" area is fairly new to the forum so we really appreciate members adding their experiences.

Sounds like your recovery went very well! Good to hear the pain levels were well controlled.

Do let us know how your golf day goes!

walked and played 9 holes of golf today. Several pars even though it was very windy and icy cold!
Anyway, no real pain or swelling in the ankle.

@Jim mc Wow - that is truly amazing! Sounds like you are getting your life back. Well done!

I had TAR on 12/09/2014 I have no complaints about having it done.

Hi Jim Mc,
Both my ankles are shot.
It sounds like you had similar symptoms as what I have.
Arthritis in both ankle joints with bone on bone condition
Painful to raise foot in an upwards position, however pointing toes downwards is ok.
Walking up an incline would mean to face foot sidewards.
Running has been out of the question for years.
The only option that was given to me here(Australia) has been to fuse the bone which to me seemed that would eliminate any future AR surgery advances.
Did you have the surgery in the UK and what did they call the type of surgery you had?

Regards Trevor

This very encouraging to see others that have the exact same symptoms and the excellent results! I'm having mine replaced at Duke Medical Center in a couple weeks.

Hi @KCDewie Welcome to Bonesmart!

It would be great if you’ll start a thread of your own so we can get to know you and follow your progress. Let us know if you need help doing that.

We don’t have as much activity on this Other Joint forum as we do with Hips and Knees, but we are growing.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Do I just start a new thread under TAR?

@GDMAUST .... we'd love to follow your journey with your ankle, so be sure to start a thread of your own so you can document your progress. We need to build a team of "ankle warriors" here on BoneSmart that will help others down the road who need this surgery. Thanks for joining us in that effort and welcome to the BoneSmart community.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562