Too young for knee replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumb: Good for you!! I'm glad you decided to seek an additional opinion also!

'lesion' usually means just a bone cyst which is fairly common with arthritis. The significance of it depends upon its size.

Excellent. Keep us posted.

Just an update:
I had MRI's of both knees and there are no meniscal tears, but degenerative changes in the menisci. I now know why I have OA under my kneecaps. My patellar tendons are long and my patellas don't track properly, and have worn away the cartilage to the bone as a result. All the marathon racewalking probably hasn't helped.

I also found out that an intermittent problem I was having with my left leg/hip was due to early arthritic changes in my hip. Yes, he took another look at my L hip today after I gave him additional information and he gave me that diagnosis. He was annoyed that I even wanted to talk about another problem.

The lesion on my distal left femur apparently is a chondroma (apparently benign cartilaginous tumor). Not sure what to think about that, but he was in such a hurry that he didn't feel the need to explain much more to me.

Bottom line: He told me, " You're a mess". He said that I was too young for knee replacement and wrote a PT order for my hips and knees. I am to follow up in 2-3 months with a MRI of my hip if PT doesn't help. He then left the room.

I am already emotionally ragged after putting one of my cats to sleep yesterday, so this Doctor's awful bedside manner and callous dismissal has left me extremely upset and beat down. I don't know what to do or think at this point. :cry:

This is the 4th OS I have seen in the last year and a half. I have had one PA and one OS offer patellar resurfacing, one OS was willing to replace my entire knee, and now this last one wants to be conservative because I am "too young", yet acknowledges that I have problems in the knee.

I think I have prattled on long enough. The one bright spot in this is that I know why most of my arthritis in localized to my knee cap. I guess it won't hurt to got to PT, so will do that. Any thoughts/advice are welcome, as I am at a loss right now (literally and figuratively).

Angela

Hi Angela well first sorry about your cat I no its tough like a part of your family as I put my dog down before my new knee oct 1 which I miss now for the company but you think getting a second opinion might be a choice sure the MRI shows must things but there might be something that can help by putting off surgery well good luck stay in touch:thumb:

Hi Angela I feel for you, thats what I am going thru right now, do the 8 weeks therapy, try some cort shots, etc, and my xrays shows severe arthritis under the knee caps, he said this unsuall for some one my age.
I would go for a another opinion, or you mentioned one said he would do it??
Good luck in your journey:thumb:

Angela, so sorry about the loss of your beloved cat....these things are always tough. Add in an uncaring doctor and a lot of pain and a person can really be miserable!

Unless you are completely comfortable with one of the previous surgeons you have seen in the past and can go with their recommendation, I believe it would be best for you to talk to someone else. Obviously this latest surgeon is clueless if he thinks you are "too young" to have surgery. Bet he'd think differently if it was HIS knee!!!

What I believe you shouldn't do is to go on living in pain. That is not necessary and you are losing precious days of your life. There are doctors who will "get" this. Your job is to keep looking until you find the one that makes you comfortable with your decision to get your life back.

My condolences on the loss of your feline friend. Never not a aching experience.

But Angela, when you trawl up another surgeon, you should ask up front, before you make an appointment, if age is an issue with him or if he operates on 'young' adults. Not that I think, in this context, 45 is actually 'young'. It's actually a very common age for knees to be replaced.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am going to take a deep breath and determine my next step. I am inclined to seek yet one more opinion, but will take a little time for this. I am just tired of being in pain, and not being able to do the things that have helped keep me in shape.

Sheryl, I have had Hyalgan, Synvisc-1 and cortisone shots in the knee at this point. PT is all that is left.

Angela

So sorry to hear about the loss of a beloved pet. It is never an easy decision to make but now your furbaby has crossed the rainbow bridge and is free of any pain and is young and happy again. Rainbowbridge.com is a pet loss site that helped me when I have had to put my babies to sleep.

For you I would see another doctor. It took me several years and different doctors before I finally got one to listen to me and finally agree to the knee replacement. I still had one person tell me they were surprised I was getting the knee replacement because I was a lot younger than most of the knee replacement patients that they had seen at the hospital. I finally got someone to see it was the loss of quality of life that was more important than my age. Even then he insisted on scoping my knee before he would agree to the scope. I remember him talking to me as I had come out of anaesthesia and telling me I was bone on bone and he would schedule me for the surgery. I was thinking really what a surprise! since the MRI had shown that. But I was just happy I was having the surgery.

You said one OS had offered a TKR is there any way to see him again or if not could the recommend someone who might be able to help

One common theme throughout this forum is that the quality of life should be a key consideration - in many cases beyond age. I have seen a wide range of ages represented here in terms of individuals who have decided to pursue TKR as an option based on the ongoing discomfort they experience.

This decision is clearly a personal one and you are in the best position to decide what is best for you. As you read the many stories from forum participants the age range is varied and the improvement in both technology and procedures have improved the overall success and longevity for this procedure.

On a personal note, there is an incredibly rewarding feeling to be walking after surgery and forget that you actually had the TKR procedure because you are not focused on the pain that existed before the procedure.

Each of us have different experiences and recovery timeframes, but the knowledge that taking a step to potentially improve our mobility and reduce pain is encouraging.

Good luck.

Hi again Angela, I also wanted to express my sympathy off the loss of your little friend. Hang in there:cat-kittyandsmiley:

When I first went to my OS, the PA I worked with didn't even introduce himself, but pulled the Xray up and asked, when I wanted to schedule that knee replacement... I knew it hurt, but that wasn't what I wanted to hear. I was 46. We tried the 3 step gel, worked once, the second didn't help. And that left just cortisone shots until the replacement. I had to wait after the decision was made since I had changed jobs and needed to save up vacation and sick time.

I understand wanting to walk and even run. I made sure I walked a lot more daily after the replacement. And was even running. Cycling was my original goal. And my "Happy Place" when the pain got too much or during rough patches in therapy.

Durability, well, I didn't hurt my knee or worry about it after my bike crash and back fusion and the resulting time in the hospital rehab unit. In fact most there were impressed I was out living life to the fullest with that knee.

I hope therapy will help you. You are right, it probably can't hurt to try it. But I hope you can find a doc that will truly do what you want...

So sorry you have lost your beloved pet; it is always so hard to come terms with. My heart goes out to you. You should not leave it too long before you decide about your knee as it is so miserable to live with the pain. Take care and good luck.

Racewalker, I am sorry for the loss of your little family member. They always seem to leave us when we are the most vulnerable. I hope that with each passing day your heart is hurting a little less. With the loss of your cat, you may be feeling more joint pain and as you've said, you may need to take a deep breath and give it a little time to think through your options.

I was experiencing chronic joint pain for the past 20 years and by my mid-30's I was thinking of joint replacement. I had one ortho that was hesitant to send me to a knee clinic but if I wanted it, he would schedule me for the surgery. I also met with an older OS who wouldn't operate on me at the age of 40. I waited and met with a young ortho surgeon who felt I had come to a place in my life that it was time to cross that bridge. It seems that the younger OS are more open to joint replacement in younger patients because the benefits outweigh the risks. They are more focused on preserving healthy tissue by diminishing the muscle atrophy through joint replacement at an earlier stage in the patients
life. And the technology has greatly improved that will offer a joint with higher mileage before a revision is indicated.

So perhaps seeking out a younger OS who is experienced in joint replacement may be helpful to you. I had better experiences with sports med docs who worked as team physicians to the college kids in my region.

Sunflower,

You are correct, this has been a very painful week for me from a joint perspective. I have not been able to relieve this burning sensation in my my right knee//leg, and my hips have been giving me fits. That is precisely why I am taking a deep breath to get through this flare to determine my plan of action.

I think your perspective on a younger OS is worthy of consideration. I was recently looking at a presentation on OR Live of a panel of surgeons who treat younger patients. Since I was a marathon racewalker until recently, I am hoping to find a surgeon who understands my need to stay as active as I can.

Until then, I am still so very sad about the loss of my kitty, Big Mike.

Angela

Angela

That sounds like a good idea, Angela. Do let us know how you get on.

Since I was a marathon racewalker until recently, I am hoping to find a surgeon who understands my need to stay as active as I can.

I hope so too! I happened to luck into a practice where the partners are pro- level cyclists and they understand fully my desire to return to cycling and other ambitions. The OS that did my TKR did over 300 knees/ year so I was confident in his ability. But the main thing about my OS is that he communicates well and I feel that he truly listens to me and that is what I hope you can find in a surgeon of your choice.

I agree with Sunflower on the younger the OS the more inclined they seem to be for getting us younger people back to our normal activities. The first OS I saw was in his 60's and was completely against me having a TKR, in his eyes I would have to crawl into his office to get one. The OS that is doing mine in a couple of weeks was great and said by all accounts my knee was past it sell by date. He was very clear that the decision had to be mine though. He gave me all the information I required and told me to go home and decide with my family. No pressure was put on me by him.

Good luck.

Which surgeon was that, Jo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties