Too tall: Ideas for a chair?

Mutwa

Country
United States United States
Hi,

I’m doing posterior THR, and we don’t have a chair in the house I’ll be able to safely sit in and get out of safely.

Side thought: Does Medicare provide temporary chairs that will work?

Can you borrow a chair from a friend? I have some upholstered dining room, end chairs with sturdy arms, and added two pillows to raise up the seats.

I sat in a recliner most of the time. The other chair I used was a white plastic chair with a pad in it. it was comfortable and the arms were strong enough that I could lift myself out of it. I used one at the dining room table and had one on the deck for outside sitting.

Just use a firm cushion on any chair that is too low. Same goes for a sofa.

I'm tall and have much of my furniture up on risers --I bought mine at Bed, Bath, Beyond. I also rented a recliner that had a lift function--useful for the first week or so but then not needed. I found that putting a cushion on a chair or sofa was a good short term solution--something I used at other people's houses with low sofas and chairs--but wasn't all that comfortable--my back then hit the back of the seat in the wrong place. The risers worked better for me.

Just use a firm cushion on any chair that is too low. Same goes for a sofa.
Thanks for the thoughts, all. My recliner is a Lazy Boy. Knees higher than hips even with two firm pillows. And I can’t easily get out without breaking 90 degrees.

I’ll check into the rental and google ideas.

Getting a hospital bed, because the bed we have is also too low, and the frame’s made so that it would be difficult to raise it.

Hi there, @Mutwa
Just wondering if you feel you have preparations squared away and ready to get on the recovery path back to healthy and hip pain free!:dancy:

Best wishes for your surgery and a pain free recovery.

@Mutwa If your doctor writes a prescription, it may cover about $250 towards the cost of the chair, should you purchase a tilt type of chair.
I bought a two motor tilt chair, and I have learned to sleep in it, since I was a side sleeper. I think there will be more than one joint replacement in my life.
I was told the easiest Medicare way to get one was through a Medicare friendly medical equipment store. If you buy it from one which is not then I believe you need to file the request with Medicare, but you can call them and get the latest information.
In my community the one motor chair with plastic fake leather, was $125 a month to rent.
Good luck with whatever you decide, and wishing you a successful surgery and recovery!

I just saw a video that measures chair height against the knee: green light: above the knee; amber: at the knee; red: below the knee. My easy chair *armrests* are barely past the knee, and it’s unstable, tipping sideways if I try to get up Using a walker plus armrest. Bed is red zone. The only thing we have is a barstool. The bed is hopeless, so we’ve ordered a hospital bed.

I’ll probably have to get a chair per ^^^ as well.

paul

@Mutwa have you looked into getting risers for your chairs and/or bed? I believe they have multiple types on Amazon that are supposed to be fairly sturdy and can give you a couple extra inches. I've even seen some plastic ones in Wal-Mart. Just a thought.

Hospital has a great Ortho Director. He inquired of the PTs for me. They suggested with a rail-type Lazy Boy recliner base, to put books under the rail. I’m going with three pillows, and using the grab bar on a shower chair in place of the too low armrests.

Wishing you the very best tomorrow.. Your wait is almost over!! we can't wait to hear all about your shiny new hip, when you are ready.. @Mutwa

Thinking of you today and sending healing vibes in advance of your procedure.
Bye bye hip pain :yes!:

Hope you're resting comfortably and with little to no post op pain. If you need meds ask for them, also ice :ice:can become your best friend, great for inflammation and pain. Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it. Get some sleep :sleep:.

Hello, I am new on here recently. Such helpful ppl on here with much experience and good ideas to share. Hope you are doing well and found a good high seat. This has been one of my obstacles, too. I am 5’8” and although not way up in the sky, my legs are longer than my torso half. All of our chairs, sofa, and loveseat are too short since my posterior hip revision. I take at least one high cushion with me and sometimes two, depending on where I am going. I cannot sit for long periods as pain and stiffness are present. I know this will eventually get better with time. Looking forward to hearing how you are doing after your surgery, and hopefully you got the high chair/sofa thing sorted out!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562