• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Too heavy for knee replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knitter4444

Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
But there is no mandate. They just want decent documentation in charts but not mandated so something not right.
This person is probably in a Medicare HMO which puts you through the ringer before they allow big procedures. Original Medicare doesnt work this way.

Definitely not political. Its about access to medical care.
If anyone needs help with Medicare just yell. Happy to help.

Orthodoc

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Jo,

I thought a link to this journal article would be appropriate for this discussion. Its is "hot off the press," so to speak and the results were just released this month. http://jbjs.org/article.aspx?articleid=1372941

Here are some of the conclusions as they pertain to the outcome of knee replacements in obese patients. Keep in mind that many, many knee replacements are successful in obese patients:

Overall, infection occurred more often in obese patients, with an odds ratio of 1.90. Deep infection occurred more often in obese patients, with an odds ratio of 2.38. Revision for any reason occurred more often in obese patients, with an odds ratio of 1.30.

Orthodoc

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Yes, I saw that. (I subscribe to JBJS!) and it's on my list of articles to add to the Library (which grows exponentially!)

Toothfairy

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Scarlett,
I do hope you get your knees sorted out.
Well done for losing 20lbs. That will really help, If you are in any doubt about how much it helps then get a pile of things weighing 20lbs and walk around with them for a few minutes.
I did this this morning with 14 lbs and was very pleased that I could put it down. I'm going to slimming world and finding it very supportive.
Good luck and best wishes, Toothfairy
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sunkist
Recent bookmarks