Too fat for surgery!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Dawnie.....now it's time to pull out the big guns. Once he knows you're under the wing of our Josephine, he should be a LOT more agreeable to getting your surgery done. Boy, what luck!! Now go get a quicker appointment with him and put on your assertive hat!

Well, if you did have RA you'd know for sure! RA bugs a person all their lives and attacks many joints. So you don't have RA which could have been one reason he's putting you off. As for how to get him jump started, start phoning his secretary at the Royal every couple of weeks or so and asking her to tell him that you can't stand to wait all that time. You could also email her then she and he get it in writing. (If you want her email addy, I can pm it to you.) Did he explain in detail why he is reluctant to do this now? Is it age? Is it really weight? You've heard he's done other people who were heavier than you, why not you? That sort of thing.

What you need to do is be a squeaky wheel - you know, the one that gets the grease?! Only in this case, the new knee! In other words, make a nuisance of yourself and let him know you're serious about wanting it done. That's what I meant about pushing him!

Hi Dawnie,

You asked for advice on what to do. The others are great with their surgical encouragement. I too suffered from being overweight. This added to my OA but was not the cause. My OS said weight doesn't dictate the size of the knee, only the pressure added to them.

In January of this year, before my surgery, I decided I had put off taking off the extra pounds of motherhood and too much ice cream/chocolate. :p

Some friends of mine had been having great success losing weight with a progam called First Place 4 Health. I took the plunge with my hubby and 2 teen daughters who were starting to gain weight. One of which has the same problems I had with my knees as a teen (very active in sports and multiple injuries to knees). Between the 4 of us in the 12 weeks we lost 74 pounds (28.8lbs./with 18 inches lost for me). :thmb: It is not an extreme diet, just a lifestyle change. Eating healthier and making wiser choices, living life more balanced. It has helped my recooperation because I am healthier.

I would encourage you to find what works for you while you are waiting to have your surgery done. Ask your OS if he would recommend pre-PT to help strengthen the muscles in your inner thighs. Wished I would have had more time to do this, then I wouldn't have had to work so hard afterwards to build muscle and strength.

I know it is hard to work through the pain, don't over do it! It's not cheating when we eat excessively, it's making a choice. Be kind to yourself, just be wise in your choices.

You can do it!

Blessings,

Sorry, still learning the differences in our countries. :blush: You all seem so close, just a fingertip away, sometimes I forget.

Their was a post with excercises online that gave great examples. Can't find the link, can anyone else? Maybe that would help.

Thanks Josephine, will take your advice and become a real pain.
I do have pain in other joints, ie, my wrists and particularly my hands, which have a tendency to 'claw' if I do too much gripping action, sometimes I have to pull them open. But, I can live with the other pain, its the limitations that my knees are putting on my life which is affecting me the most. Last bank holiday the family wanted to go to Flamingoland, but it would be a waste of time as I couldnt walk around. The pain is terrible, but not being able to do 'normal' activities is much worse.
Thank you all so much for your advice, and as Jamie says I'll bring out my big guns, JOSEPHINE. Lol, Dawnie. X

Jo, I bet this is the first time you've been thought of as a weapon!!!

I would love to be a fly on the wall the first time Dawnie drops the bomb - "You know, I was chatting online the other day with my BFF, Josephine and .......!!" His chin will clunk the floor. :evil: :shk:

Haha! Better a CHIN clunking, Jamie than a KNEE!!

He'll probably just sigh and roll his eyes, Jamie. He knows all about BS and more to the point, he knows me! Remember, I worked with him for some years.

He also doesn't know it yet but I'm going to offer to run some pre/post-op seminars!

Ohhh Jo that sounds like fun!!!
Will you be comming to the States to do some seminars here!!!! WOW that would be so Great!!! We really need seminars here, yes we do!!! LOL Please come, please, please!

Angel, you are a hoot! I shall only offer them for the local hospital!

He'll probably just sigh and roll his eyes, Jamie. He knows all about BS and more to the point, he knows me! Remember, I worked with him for some years.

He also doesn't know it yet but I'm going to offer to run some pre/post-op seminars!

Oh, there was no doubt in my mind that he would know you, Jo!! I think it would be very difficult to NOT remember someone as dynamic as you are....plus, as you said, you worked with him. But the eye roll would be priceless, wouldn't it!!

Bravo on the seminars, Jo!!! Send me a plane ticket and I'll come help you...:hehe:....

My sister was told to lose weight before she could have her hip done. She lost a bit, then they did it. Quite often the real reason in the NHS is lack of finance so they use weight as an excuse!

Among other things like our system, Brian!!!

I am 'gravidly obese' to be precise. My doctor was veery conservative about doing surgery, but after multiple cortisone shots and series oef Supartz and another one of the hyaluronic injections. He too was concerned about my weight and said that the success of replacement is frequently compromised by the excess weight. I did lose 50 pounds prior to my surgery, still tipped the scale at 328 pounds. I saw him in January and said unless a miracle happened we would have not choice but to do the surgery. When I went back in March, he looked at me and said "YOU know in your heart that the time has come," I wanted to say "heart nothing...I know in my knees".

Glad to hear you have gotten great advice from the BoneSmart family. Welcome. Good luck...I sure hope you can be a very annoying squeaky wheel. My best to you'

Thank you for your support, I am going to email the surgeon as Jo suggested, I shall keep you all informed of the outcome. Squeaky I can be, when required, lol.

My sister was told to lose weight before she could have her hip done. She lost a bit, then they did it. Quite often the real reason in the NHS is lack of finance so they use weight as an excuse!

One thing I have yet to meet, Brian, is a surgeon who interests himself in finance! The majority view it as a vast impediment of their professional function.

When I went back in March, he looked at me and said "YOU know in your heart that the time has come," I wanted to say "heart nothing...I know in my knees".

That's such a great rejoinder!

One of the first OS surgeons I saw 5 years ago also insisted I had to lose weight before he would operate. I mistakenly thought all ortho surgeons felt that way. I was participating in a drug study for arthritis when the research doctor there suggested I talk with a surgeon he knew who practiced out of New England Baptist Hospital. That surgeon is nationally known and never even mentioned my weight. So keep looking for another OS. I suffered 5 years of increasing pain and disability before I realized that not all OS are focused on weight but more concerned about quality of life.

Hi Dawnie,

Welcome.

Having established the JO connection you may not need any further ammo. However, as far as I know, losing weight is a simple mathematical equation. You need to burn off more energy than you take in. So in those terms for someone who is pretty immobile due to pain therefore unable to move to burn off intake, you would have to live on grated carrot for every meal. NO WAY!

I am overweight too, and yes the OS did mention it, (every chance he had) but he didn't not do the operation. Even after the op he said, "now you'll get some weight off, won't you?" As he gently guided me out of his office. Well blow me down, because I have had my knee done, and am not in pain, I can actually move more and therefore can build up quad strength and drop a few kilos.

If you can do it before hand GREAT, but I would be pushing for an earlier review date.

PS. I was only just past 48 when I had my hip done, and only just past 49 for my knee, and now at 50 I feel like I'm 18 again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties