Bilateral THR Tony2hips Recovery

:wave: I've wondered how you've been! I am sorry about the diagnosis of RA but is a diagnosis...not a sentence!
I am so hopeful ... as you've dealt with so much.:umm:
Please do let us know how things are going.:)
Sending good mojo your way!:tada:

Tony.....you have been dealing with this for so very long. You must be both physically and emotionally exhausted. Hopefully, now that you have a harder diagnosis, and an option to reduce some of the pain, things will turn around.

Being self employed is a whole separate challenge. While you have more flexibility, you also have no back up system in place.....if you don't work, you don't earn any money, and things like leave aren't options. My son-in-law and my daughter are both self employed, and within one year they each had a surgery that required them to miss about 2 months of work. It was so impactful on their finances/mental health.

Best of luck to you as you go through these next steps!:console2:

Thank you for your kind comments. It is hard at times, so many different hospitals and appointments but lots worse off than me. Just have to remind myself at times that the glass is half full not half empty. I'm really hoping that this procedure will be the end of the problems until I wear them out. :heehee:

I'm sorry you're dealing with so much. It really feels unfair.
Prayers that this procedure is the last as you're hoping.
Please keep us updated, we're here for you, we care.
Wishing you comfort and peace.
@tony2hips

Thanks for good luck wishes, they are much appreciated.
Back home from yesterday's surgery to correct impingement on revised left hip. Procedure was arthroscopic to remove anterior bone spur with option to move to invasive surgery. Following the arthroscopic they decided not to open hip as they had managed to remove most of spur and the potential to create more problems than solved with extra scar tissue and weakening of hip. I was told by one consultant that scope surgery is rare on patients who already have replacement. I was in theatre over two hours and had spinal and sedation. Was told the bone spur was very hard bone to burr away but all went well. I am feeling swollen and sore today and utilising crutches but already feels like there is much improved flexion and rotation. I am following instruction on exercises and not over doing things. The feeling is that the bone spur highlighted in uploaded x-rays was causing impingement and should have been removed at time of original THR. I was under the impression that it was a small piece of bone but told x-rays obviously are not 3D and it actually extended quite away around the hip.

I am feeling hopefully that this may well be the end of my issues for a few years until I wear them out.

First x-ray is pretty THR,.Second is post simultaneous THR where the maligned liner was noticed. Third is following revision surgery to replace liner 7 days after original THR. Fourth is different angle showing how bone spur extends.

I do not have post op x-rays from yesterday but will post them after 6 week assessment.

In the meantime I will be keeping fingers crossed that my 3 year journey may be reaching its overdue conclusion.
Studio_20190222_114730.png
Studio_20190222_115030.png
Studio_20190222_114805.png
Studio_20190222_114928.png

I am so glad they were able to get it done without opening you back up!
That spur looks wicked.:nah:
Healing vibes coming your way...:ok:

Hi Tony,
I'll bet you were pleasantly surprised to learn the surgery was minimally invasive.
Fingers crossed this is the end of issues for you :fingersx:
I hope your soreness eases soon.
Wishing you a great weekend and comfort as you're healing.
@tony2hips

Wow---hard to believe they orginally left that nasty bone spur in you---no wonder you have been in pain. And how wonderful that they were able to get it out arthroscopically. Just remember to listen to your body, and "go slow to go fast" ---don't overdo as a result of being so eager to get on with things. Your attitude is great.....and I am hoping your recovery will be smooth, and uneventful.:flwrysmile:

48 hours on from the athroscopy to remove the bone spur. Relatively pain free, more of an ache than pain. Mobilising well on crutches and had a walk out. What is amazing is there is already a noticeable increase in movement in the left hip.

Hip Flexion - Able to bring the knee up to same height as right. Before surgery there was almost 30% less.
Hip Extension - Again noticeable increase in range of movement. At least 20% more.
Hip Abduction - Increase although restricted still by large dressing and some swelling.

It feels as if a wedge has been removed allowing far greater movement. My consultant has confirmed that the bone spur clearly visible on the side view x-ray I uploaded is what he has ground away. I have operative photos that I could upload if people think it's appropriate.

My joy at the improvement is only matched by my frustration that for nearly 3 years I have had pain and restricted movement when it should never have been the case. My current consultant is the 4th at 4 different hospitals in 3 years and remarkably the 1st who I felt immediately identified the cause and told me he could make things better. The difference hearing that made was immense.

Hi Tony,
I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. It is misfortunate you suffered for three years until the source of your pain was positively identified and you found relief. All you can do is move forward and be thankful that no more time is being wasted. :yes!:
I hope 2019 is a wonderful year for you!
@tony2hips

What a story! The first hospital
Sounds awful. Where did you get the final anthroscopic procedure done? Here is hoping that things go smoothly from now on. The first hospitals attitude is incredibly bad.

I will not name the original hospital but arthroscopy was performed at Frimley. Although it was only performed last week I am absolutely delighted with the results so far. I have the same movement range as the right hip and although some slight discomfort from the procedure, the pain has gone, which after nearly 3 years is so good.

I will update again after the 6 week assessment, but one thing I must say is how grateful I am to everyone at Bonesmart. The support and advice has been great and in the first few months after the original surgery when I was so down, to discover that it is common after major surgery was a relief as I felt I was going mad!

So a big thank you to everyone and don't be put off by my experiences. I was just unlucky.

@tony2hips
Splendid news that you are feeling such relief and hope following your last procedure. Keep it all slow for a bit longer so when this gets good and healed you can make up for all that lost time.:realing::tennis2::walking:

Just a word of caution to anyone who may be using NJR performance figures to help decide which hospital or surgeon to entrust with their surgery.

I applied to NJR for a copy of any records they held for me. Anyone who has read this thread will now that I had a simultaneous bilateral THR in April 2016 followed by a revision to left hip 7 days later due to malalignment of Acetabular Liner. The details I received back from NJR tell a different story. Their records show that I had a single THR on left hip, with no record of right hip surgery or revision surgery to left hip.

Even more surprisingly it lists different components used than my surgical notes. The NJR shows Pinnacle Ceramic Liner, including catalog and batch numbers while my surgical notes list Pinnacle ALTRX Polythilene liner. This leaves me not knowing what has been fitted.

It also means that the figures shown for my surgeon are inaccurate as he is listed as performing no revision surgery for the accounting period that he performed my revision.

Obviously the NJR are totally reliant on accurate data being supplied by hospitals so I can not blame them, but if hospitals are not supplying data to the extent of only reporting one half of a bilateral operation, it makes the figures unreliable. Even more bewildering is that when accurate details should be kept of components used to help early identification of possible product / batch defects that a hospital has two different versions of what they used!

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.
@tony2hips

For those wondering - NJR is the National Joint Registry
They collect information on joint replacement operations and monitor the performance of implants, hospitals and surgeons.

:wave:
From a fellow unicorn:heehee:
Hope all is continuing to improve.:yes:
Wishing you a good week, Tony!

Hi Tony - I've just had a Bi-lateral hip replacement and am both shocked by the treatment you've received and pleased that it's hopefully now over (at least for the next 2 years or so!)

Well done for finding an NHS trust to do a bi-lateral as I had to sell my premium bonds to fund mine as none of the NHS trusts in my area would undertake the op. I put this op off for 8 years too many as I'm self-employed too and know that planning for this is incredibly hard as there's no good time to lose income and it seems impossible to predict how long it may take to recover. My surgeon had assured me I'd have a minimally invasive procedure yet when I woke up he had not fulfilled his promise so I have more damage to repair than anticipated - so paying for surgery doesn't give you any guarantees either.

My surgeon is only 90% certain my right hip will hold due to the very severe osteoporosis so I must hope for the best as a revision is my worst nightmare.

You have my deepest sympathy for what you've endured to date and my respect for having held it all together during the last 3 years.
Jo

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp