THR Tony’s post-op thread

TonyTennis

Country
United States United States
greetings, I had my RTHR on Thursday 9/9/2021. I was the first in at 6am and in surgery at 730am. Can’t recall much after being wheeled into OR. Up and walking with PT in recovery. Did short walk, peed, and navigated 6 stairs.
I was discharged at 4pm same day. The staff refers to outpatient hip patients as ”swiftys”. lol

1st night at home was brutal. Pain at 8. luckily my wife is a great caretaker even when I was short with her. I left with oxycodone, flexerall (muscle relaxer), colese, baby aspirin. Didn’t need any anti nausea meds. I had the spinal block with light sedation. It must have worked because I don’t remember anything about the surgery and didn’t have any nausea.

The recommendations on this website were invaluable. Trust and follow the process. So glad I found the forum during pre-op.
i take all the pain meds on time. Pain runs from 4 to 8 throughout the day.

Out patient PT to begin Monday.

Tony

Welcome to the other side @TonyTennis . Rest, ice, elevate, meds and repeat for now. You don't really need PT for a new hip so please take it easy. You are not in training - you are healing.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @TonyTennis and :welome:to the recovery side of things!

I'd like to leave you some helpful links to help you through the first several tough days... I think you will find some of it relevant to what you are experiencing.

Be sure to talk with your Surgeon's office if your pain continues to peak at around 8... sounds like you might be a bit undermedicated?

You will see that I didn't leave your reading material because Jaycey beat me to it..
I hope you feel better soon.

:wave: @TonyTennis
A "Swifty" on the Mend!:egypdance:

Please make sure you add Ice to your recovery toolbox.
Definitely the coolest thing you can do for your traumatized leg.:ice:

Healing Mojo coming your way!

As others said rest and ice and I'll add proper diet are keys to feeling better. Outside PT many times isn't the best, keep in mind to let them know what you're comfortable with.

Hi ! Stories like yours help my extreeeeme
fear of THR! "started 7:30, home by FOUR !?!?" :wow:

I agree that this site is invaluable! I have learned **SO** much here!
(I'm on page 12 of recovery stories so I can
learn as much as possible!)
Hope you keep doing so well!

Hope you are doing well, only a few days after surgery. I had my first THR on Aug 2. Recovery has been a learning experience, to say the least. But not horribly miserable, just uncomfortable mostly.
Good luck with your recovery! And agree that outpatient PT is probably not the best option for first 3-4 weeks. If you can get someone to your house, that will be so much better.

Welcome to the healing side, Tony!
Sorry you had a rough first night home. It sounds like your wife is patient and a blessing as a caregiver. We’re happy that you found us and find the website invaluable. We look forward to following your healing journey and supporting you along the way.
Wishing you a peaceful and relaxing weekend! :)
@TonyTennis

End of day 2. I kept up alternating pain Meds on schedule. Pain ranged from 4 - 8 during the days. Had chills but no fever. i bought extra ice packs to be sure I always had 2 on me most of day. Also used a elevated cushion I bought on Amazon. virtually no swelling in my legs. Plenty of swelling around the hip area. Pain also in groin and quad. Peed a lot. I’m assuming due to the cushion letting the retained water flow down and out. Kept up with constant hydration. Water only. I can’t imagine how anyone could manage these first 2 days alone. Slept mostly in a recliner. Tonight I’m trying the bed.

Tony

@TonyTennis I found the recliner was very comforting for the first two weeks. It's not a big deal if you can't sleep in your bed yet.

recovery update:

My 2 week doc visit was Friday 9/24. The first week was very tough, lot of pain, little sleep. Week 2 started off better. Have been walking unaided around day 10 post surgery. Scaled back my PT to one day a week and shortened the time. In retrospect I agree with many on here that PT is not needed in the first few weeks. I am intersted in having the PT help with recovery and range of motion after I've been better recovered - say around week 6 is what I anticipate.

Doc said that I'm way ahead of the curve on recovery, which he cautioned can be a blessing and curse as patients who recover quickly try to do too much too soon. So he warned me to expect setbacks if I push too hard. I will take his advice and move slowly through the recovery process as much as possible.

Lucky to be self employed and work from home is not a problem so I'll return to work on Monday start of week 3, but only for a few hours with many walking breaks. It will be help my mental side and boredom of recovering.

Thanks for all on the forum that helped to make this process understandable.

Tony
R-THR - September 9, 2021

:wave:Glad you are doing well my friend... as well as one can these early days.
Doc said that I'm way ahead of the curve on recovery, which he cautioned can be a blessing and curse as patients who recover quickly try to do too much too soon. So he warned me to expect setbacks if I push too hard. I will take his advice and move slowly through the recovery process as much as possible
Sounds like your OS has seen the aftermath of the unfortunate membership to the ODIC (OverDid It Club)
Great advice that I wish more surgeons would emphasize.

Slow and steady wins this race and no one wants to complicate their recovery with self induced tendonitis or chronic bursitis as these issues can take many months to resolve.

Hope this week brings more improvement.
Healing mojo coming your way.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Tony!
I hope you’re enjoying steady progress, work is going well for you and it’s not too tiring.
Thanks for the update above. Hopefully you’ll share a few more recovery reports as time allows.
Have a lovely Autumn!
@TonyTennis

Hi All,

I had my 6 week doc visit last Friday. I wanted to post an update on my recovery:

Week 3 - went back to work a few hours in am. Amazing how fatigued I would get after a few hours of being at the office around others. I would go home after lunch and have a long nap. I continued my regular walks (1.5 miles in AM and 1-1.5 PM). I would go slow, starting around 22 min/mile. I continued PT but only once per week for 30 min. PT suggested increasing walks only about 10% per week. Weaned off Oxycodone. Using Tylenol/advil alternating.

Week 4- increased work hours, but still very fatigued so limited work and increased naps/rest. Up to about 4 miles walking per day. kept pace slow at about 21 min/mile. Still a bit of trouble sleeping. All the pain in the quad and groin from muscles trying to get back to work. Down to advil before PT and before bed.

Week 5- Generally increased walking to 5 mi/day. Increased pace to 20 min/mile. Not too sore from walking. Increased PT to 2x/week for 45 min. PT guy has been a big help. He explains a lot and doesn not push too much, but does make me think about how to increase range of motion etc for eventual return to competitive tennis. Advil only when needed, less than once per day.

Week 6 - Met with Doc. He got a report from PT. Advised my surgery was uneventful (good thing). incision was completely healed. Ok to start normal activities including swimming/gym, walking. Will take a 6-9 months for the hip to feel "secure". He advised risk of fracture greatest between now and 6 mo. so take it easy on the hip. Starting to swim for my cardio in addition to walking 5 mi. Down to advil only if I feel i've pushed to hard. daytime fatigue is reduced appreciably. I do try and rest but not really napping. Back to full time schedule at work. I will continue to use PT as I think this really helps in the long run. Plan to return to gym w/ my regular trainer at about 8 weeks. Also scheduled a massage which I was doing monthly prior to surgery. I think icing was key in those first 3-4 weeks. I haven't really had a need to ice since. Can get dressed easily now and able to tie shoes with a little manoeuvring.

And scheduled a beach trip for week 8. It's been a rough year so looking forward to the ocean, beach and drinks!

Thanks again for all the help from the forum. I'll continue to keep you posted so it may help others.

Tony

Thanks again for all the help from the forum. I'll continue to keep you posted so it may help others.
What a wonderful update! You’re on your way, Tony. We’re happy to read you found the forum helpful. I know that I can’t imagine my recovery without the support of other members here.

Thanks for updating and your willingness to continue to do so for the benefit of those following behind you. I’m sure your words will encourage many.
A great week to you!

Great report @TonyTennis! Enjoy the beach, I find the ocean to be calming and mentally relaxing.

What a nice update! Isn’t it a great feeling to have the “worst” over with?
Enjoy the beach vacation.

Amazed at your going home so fast.
I know with the back log of elective surgery in the UK it is the aim here. I am unfortunate in that I can never pee after surgery, general anesthetic or spinal. Both times I've ended up with retention followed by needing to have a catheter. It stems from the trauma of the birth of my daughtet IMO.
I had a spinal for both hips and stayed awake. I can't listen to Coldplay eithout hearing hammering and rembering the whole operating table bouncing!
With the first THR in 2013 the anesthetistasked if I wanted to see the head of the femur they had just removed. I was a bit surprised but thought why not and he showed me wear the cartilage had worn causing bone on bone. I felt huge relief as only being 57 some folk said I was too young for a THR and I was skeptical it would make life any better myself. How wrong I was. I got my life back and it really is a wonderful operation. He also had a tablet and showed me what was happening behind the screen. My leg appeared to be over someone's shoulder in a frankly impossible position!
It is amazing how our bodies can recover from such brutal treatment and go on to give us further years of improved and pain free mobility.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads