TKR Toni Lee Recovery Thread

I have been following your posts and wonder how things went at your appointment yesterday. I hope you held up ok.

Hi everyone-please FORGIVE me for taking so long to reply to all your thoughts and well-wishes about my recovery. @Macknit sent me the kindest message tonight and I briefly explained to her why my posting has been delayed.

I just want to say the folks here on BoneSmart....the posters, members, administrators, contributors, etc...everyone has been awesome. Based on what's occurred, I am 10,000% grateful to everyone. If I didn't have BoneSmart in my life, I know I'd be an absolute basket-case by now.

And for anyone reading this, the BoneSmart way is THE WAY TO RECOVER...hands down. Please don't doubt.

The entire MUA drama had me crazy and stressed. I allowed myself to go down the rabbit-hole dug by my OS and I shouldn't have. I should have know better and remained calm & focused. I am embarrassed about how much I obsessed and agonized over the entire situation. I felt crazy about the prospect of another painful procedure that might set-back all my progress.

With the above said, my OS's PA (Morgan) evaluated me last Tuesday. Morgan was shocked at my "progress" in just 3 short weeks. By all measures and milestones, including flexion (which unassisted was measured at 120º), Morgan was baffled by the notes and findings of the previous exam. It's not like such progress is unheard of, I imagine. However, Morgan DID tell me "a MUA was absolutely in my future based on my OS's exam three weeks prior."

So, that was it. A MUA is currently not an option. My OS wants to see me in 6 weeks and he wants me to have PT 2 x weekly for the next 6 weeks. I work my recumbent bike about 5 x weekly for 15-20 minutes each time. Needless to say, I am beyond relieved that I've made such progress and never should have doubted myself. I never doubted the wisdom of BoneSmart...but I doubted myself.

Thanks again to everyone who reads my posts. I generally jump onto BS 2-3 times weekly to follow up on everyone. I read more than I post! Thank you again, everyone!

I too am a FIRM believer in the recumbent bike....It has helped me slowly move forward! It also has helped my quads get stronger too! Still have my daily, tightening late each afternoon, but as that time stretches out...I see progress!

What great news and encouraging for me!

I’ve hit the same point in this journey as you were at, though my ROM is behind where yours was by a good chunk. My surgeon says I need an MUA, and I’m making the decision by how much more progress I can make in two weeks, but my goal is to exceed 90 degrees at the eight-week mark, so I’m shocked they were badgering you at 100 degrees. My surgeon wanted me to hit 100 degrees and 0 degrees at 6 weeks.

I’m glad your results have been good. Like all of us, you can use a success that you worked for.

Are you saying at 120 the OS wants an MUA? Either I'm misunderstanding or the doc is? Once I hit 90 my OS said I didn't need PT and just keep exercising on my own.

The recumbent bike is a good recovery too. I never did 20 minutes at a time in the early days. Just short amounts of time in 2 sessions which I felt like helped loosen me up.

@tlfiore I’m so glad you had a great appt!! I thought your progress has been great, you are way ahead of me at this stage. You are doing fantastic and I must admit I’m green with envy at your recovery. But, everyone is different and I remind myself of that daily. I feel I am behind the curve due to my sleepy quad that didn’t want to get back to work for several weeks. I do notice things I can do that I haven’t been able to prior so I am getting stronger.

Here’s to our continued recoveries. I’m off to look for a recumbent bike....

Hi there , I am new here (Nov 19 surgery revision TKR) and wondered how you are feeling?

Hi there, it sounds like you are doing great. Flexion varies so much day to day and on activity. Time is the best healer! It is just so scary to feel like you are not achieving - for some reason we feel inadequate. Well I would love for some of those PTs to have this surgery and see what they think! Good luck and keep your spirits up!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie