THR TomT in recovery

@TomT you are still in your first month! Welcome to the ODIC! I sometimes had to use extreme will power not to walk too far. The little red pitchfork on one shoulder would say, c'mon! You know it feels soooo good to stretch your legs! And the little gold halo on the other side would reply, sure but how badly do you want to pay for that in terms of exhaustion for the rest of the day and tomorrow? Sometimes I was able to catch the right balance, clever me.

CricketHip is soooo right about our mind doing a number on us for any new pain. I can say from experience that if you have to do your second hip, you won't even notice these pains, and if you do, your mind will go, ho hum, yeah I remember this, no harm is being done, chill!:ice:

Hi Tom,
Hopefully today was better than yesterday and tomorrow is even better! :SUNsmile:
At less than one month post you will have ups and downs. Go back and take a peek at the little lavender drawing leejaa left you in Post 98 of your thread. It’s a great reminder of the reality of the healing journey.
A wonderful week to you! :)
@TomT

Thank you guys, you were all correct. Unfortunately the leg doesn't warn you tells you later when you've over done it. I've been away for a few days because I wanted to report some good news. I'm happy to say after a hard week of walking and sometimes over doing it I finally do have good news to post. Yesterday my leg was feeling strong I decided to drop my cane and to my surprise I just started walking! Me and my wife were almost moved to tears because she knew how badly I wanted to be able to walk again. I have a bit of a limp and I'm still trying to perfect my gait but as I get stronger I'll be able to fix this. I'm still taking my cane with me but I've increased the length to the max so that I can't lean on it only slightly grip it to maintain my balance if needed.im thinking of buying a waking stick or using a single crutch like a walking stick.

Wonderful news. :loveshwr::yes!::happydance::yay:

If you get walking stick, consider getting a pair. Having two hiking sticks keeps you more balanced as you keep improving gait and stops you from leaning or limping to one side as much. I bought an adjustable inexpensive pair on Amazon and never replaced them. They really helped me get the gait corrected and did not hurt my bad thumbs. I still use mine for walking in fields and rougher terrain or when muddy just in case as I really do not want any more surgeries.

I have a bit of a limp and I'm still trying to perfect my gait but as I get stronger I'll be able to fix this

Wonderful news! Super excited for you. Let “heel-toe, heel-toe” be the voice in your head as you attempt to lose the limp. I know it really helped me.
Heres to a steadier gait and stronger Tom!

Great news about your improvements :egypdance:
You have already found that recovery has it's ebbs and flows:good-bad:
Slow and steady, and things will keep getting better and better.
Icing after activity is still a great help.
Hope today is a Good Day.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a good week and you’re enjoying the weekend!
We enjoy your posts and thank you for sharing your journey!:walking:
@TomT

Thanks guys I can't believe it's been a month already. My path has surely looked like that scrambled progress arrow but definitely much better than week one. I came to the realization that this gonna take longer than a month or two for me to feel normal and to walk normally and I'm starting to be ok with that.

I came to the realization that this gonna take longer than a month or two for me to feel normal and to walk normally

YES! It can take a year and many report improvements well beyond that. It’s a slow gradual process and there will be days you realize “hey, awesome, I couldn’t do that a few weeks / months ago!” It’s the gift that keeps on giving. Enjoy in peace!

@TomT yes! Marathon, not sprint, etc, etc, you can survive this. I love Layla's phrase "the gift that keeps on giving". I am one of those who noticed improvement for a whole year (so long as I didn't stare at it to see if it improved you know!), and then at 2 years realized it was better than at one year!

Hello guys,

Sorry its been a long time since i've posted. I've just been concentrating on doing my walks everyday and for the most part i've stayed away from social media and my computer all together, mainly because I knew my leave was ending soon and I just wanted to try to relax as much as possible before I ended up at my computer everyday. I've had my follow-up exam with my Dr last week. He said everything is fine with the implant. We took xrays, and I was surprised to see the screw they used to attach the cup to my pelvis. Lol I wanted to show you guys the xray but it managed to capture some parts of my body that i'd like to remain private. Anyway he also cleared me to begin working out and swimming. I still have a tiny piece of a scab on my wound so I have not gone swimming yet, but I have so far returned to doing push ups and some very light weight training. I'm happy to say that I can walk a pretty good distance with out my cane now as well. this morning I walked all the way to the park with out my cane. Yesterday I did manage to over due, I went on 3 very long walks and by the end of the third walk my hip let me know that I still have limits.

I have a question for you guys regarding the swimming. I've always been proud at how good I am at floating , I know its a weird thing to be proud of, but did you guys notice that you were less buoyant since your hip replacement? Ever since I saw the xray, i've been thinking about this big hung of metal in my leg causing me to sink in the pool.

Oh one final thought, on the way back from my follow up exam, we saw a billboard advert with my doctor on it, and he was looking exactly how we just saw him in his office at Baylor Hospital, it was such a crazy coincidence.

@TomT great report! When I saw those screws (which, if he told me he'd used them I'd been too loopy to process) I was shocked! They look so looonng!!!!

That is a great question about sinking in the pool; haven't seen any mention of it here yet. My only swimming has been in salt water where you float higher anyway. I would say that battleships don't sink and neither will you!:swim:

Lol thanks Zauberflote, I guess I'm gonna find out next weekend I'm definitely going swimming next weekend. I'm gonna try get a few sunny days by the pool before this summer is over.

TomT... Focus on small progress daily. Then in a few weeks you will be making leaps and bounds of progress, just walk a lil each day. Getting comfy I found using ice on the area and listening to quiet music on iPad/iPhone Help relax and put me to sleep. And don’t forget the occasional chocolate.. proof it’s a salad ...it grows on trees...

Attachments

• 8BAC75FF-C5CE-48C2-B210-34C3D5341809.jpeg
    8BAC75FF-C5CE-48C2-B210-34C3D5341809.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 203
@TomT good update, you sound great! Somebody else just asked about the implant causing problems with their swimming/floating abilities. The answer was no, we have tons of folks on here that have done swimming after hip replacement with no problems. I can personally say I didn't sink anymore or quicker than I normally do! :snork: My swimming skills aren't the best but I did great floating around with a pool noodle.

Wonderful update. I totally understand staying off the computer when it is your full time job.

I have 4 joints replaced and floating or swimming is no issue. I am not a great swimmer but love the water. Enjoy.:swim:

I have a question for you guys regarding the swimming. I've always been proud at how good I am at floating , I know its a weird thing to be proud of, but did you guys notice that you were less buoyant since your hip replacement? Ever since I saw the xray, i've been thinking about this big hung of metal in my leg causing me to sink in the pool.

I don't know exactly where it is but Josephine who was an orthopedic nurse who has retired from the site weighed several implants and they weigh almost exactly equal to the bone etc. removed during replacement so no worries. I wondered myself as a diver if I would need to adjust where my weights were placed . :rotfl:

Ohh heck try it once your in the water your swim skills will take over. Had water therapy after THR no difference in swimming it takes movement to keep your head above water, I was never a good floater. Even my avatar swims under water with no issues.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back