THR TomT in recovery

Leeja

That is hilarious because that's exactly what happened to my recovery curve in the last two days

Recovery has that way of reminding us when we get a little big for our britches! :loll:

I used my walker for probably 3-4 weeks before switching to my cane, per PT, and I used that till around the 3 Month mark. Partly as a security blanket and a safety device to keep people away. Plus I had developed a pretty bad limp pre-op so I really had to retrain myself.

@TomT yeas, that recovery illustration is so funny because it's soooo true!

I found that after about two weeks I had to wait a whole week to evaluate any progress. This went on for a month or so, and then it was "monthly progress" from there on out. Every progress had its regress, too.

I'm a cane outlier-- I didn't use it much. Even when adjusted perfectly, giving it any weight not only hurt my arthritic wrists, but felt significantly unbalanced. As leejaa did, I carried it when out in self defense, and with hip one, I was carrying it on walks for several months, as I could feel the hip tiring towards the last couple of blocks. Miiiiight have been caused by the side-stepping and grapevine dance stepping I started throwing in after several months-- 5-6 at least. Working on agility was fun because crossing one leg in front of or behind the other no longer hurt!!!:yes!:

Elf1, Zauberflote

Thanks for your replies, I'm still.using my cane I'm a little disappointed that my recovery took a turn like that picture lol. The issue that something is wrong with my knee and ankle. When I try to walk I feel as if my knee is wobbles or hyper extends I'm not sure why buts not stable at all. I've decided I'm just gonna keep increasing my walking and continue using the cane until it gets better. I had noticed that pink peony mentioned something about a gait assistance device. I wonder if I should be using something like that. I wanted to ask you guys how long you iced for? I continue to do it every day but I'm not sure I actually having any swelling anymore

I don't remember for how long I iced precisely but as I got more active there was generally less icinexcept after more strenuous activities and then I would ice just in case the extra activities caused any discomfort or swelling. My thought was that I would rather ice than have to pop a pill. Try and see what works for you.

Thanks leejaa

I had more question for you guys this may or may not be related to my surgery but my left hand is especially my left pink is going numb all the time. It happen a little before I started using my cane but especially since I been using the cane the left hand is numb all the time. I use my left hand for the cane and so maybe that's causing it, did you guys have an experience like this?

@TomT Is your cane the correct height? You should not be leaning on it at all. You might be putting too much pressure on your hand causing the numbness.

I don't think I'm leaning in it but I'll adjust the height and see if that corrects this problem

And in reference to a gait assistive device she's probably just meaning an assistive device, i.e. walker, cane, crutch. It's just usually recommended that you continue to use an assistive device until you quit limping and/or your gait is back to normal.

Jacey, elf1

I did adjust the cane it has helped a bit. I noticed when I'm walking I had a death grip on the handle now that I've adjusted it, it's harder to hold it like that and it cause me to put more effort with my leg. This morning I woke up and I was sleeping on my side, the surgery side and funny enough I didn't have any pain. It's not huge progress but at least it's improvement lol.

Jacey, elf1, This morning I woke up and I was sleeping on my side, the surgery side and funny enough I didn't have any pain. It's not huge progress but at least it's improvement lol.
Don't sell that accomplishment cheaply! It was a big deal for me as a side sleeper to finally be able to sleep on the affected side. The best moments of recovery come when we unthinkingly do something that we couldn't do before. I'll never forget the day I left my cane in a shopping basket and left the store, didn't even notice I didn't have it with me.

Yes you're right FCBayren, for the last two weeks my body has pretty much stayed on my back at night even though I normally do not sleep that way. I guess my body made the decision last night that the pain was not longer preventing this from happening. I was hoping for more progress with ditching my cane but I'll take this lol

That is from the pain meds. I used senokot as directed. Good luck

I used the cane for a while but found that my arthritic thumbs did not like it much so for longer walks and especially in my 70 acre backyard I purchased some hiking poles - using two of them provided support in walking properly as well as relief for my thumb. For stores and short walks in the house I still used the cane. I bought mine on Amazon for about $20 about 3yrs ago and never replaced them for a more expensive pair.

Hi Tom
This site is so helpful and it has made a big difference for me too.

I think at the beginning of your posting you mentioned back pain ? Sorry if you already responded to something similar and I missed it but I wondered how that all worked out.

I had a much shorter leg and the surgeon did a great job making them equal. I am about day 12. Several days out I suddenly noticed back pain. It is on the bottom of the back right next to what I think is referred to as the sacrum...... on the same side my hip was replaced. For the most part, the ibuprofen and acetaminophen took care of it, but for the past couple of nights when I have gotten up in the night, the pain was excruciating. After using the bathroom and getting settled back in bed (pillows between my legs etc....) the pain did go away. Back pain can be severe I guess but it freaked me out. I became anxious because I felt it was a step in the wrong direction.

The mornings have been rough too.....although once I get the ibuprofen and acetaminophen in and move around some everything evidently relaxes. I am assuming that since the pain does go away (right now feeling great) that nothing has been damaged. I am waiting to hear back from my Doctor although if it is a surgery day for them they might not respond right away. Just curious if you could share how it all went with you...(hopefully I am not getting the forums mixed up and it was someone else who posted about back pain) ..I do think a lot of it is my body reacting to the surgery in general as well as the shorter leg for such a long time.
Thanks
Michael

Guys I'm in alot of pain right now, I'm not sure why. I did walk more than usual yesterday but felt fine this morning. But now I'm in pain and can't even get comfortable while I'm laying. Is it possible I over did it? And if I did I've due it what will happen? Is it possible I could have caused the stem to move inside my bone?

Just joined the ODIC (over did it club), not too worry, just inflamed soft tissues, lots of ice and pain relief meds as possible and it will pass. It's not easy to make a stem move, and if all you did is walk that wouldn't be nearly enough.

Awww,, I'm sorry you are in pain and worrying. It sure sounds like you overdid it and it might not be from just your last outing.. I found it too be cumulative and it was discouraging, for sure.

I was catching up on your thread and was going to ask if you are gripping your cane handle too intensely and then you answered that question further down in your thread.. that can literally cause numbness and pain, for sure.. glad you have that figured out now. :yes: If you find you are forgetting and returning to that death grip, you may want to consider using two canes and seeing if that eases up your wrist and hand issues.
You also asked about when to stop icing.. I iced for several months.. ice is a natural anti inflammatory and I seemed to have quite a bit of it with my right hip. It's free and plentiful, so keep at it! :ice:
I too, had lower leg pain and oh my goodness, my achilles tendon was so sore and I'm sure it was from lengthening my leg a bit. In fact, I still get soreness in my calf and foot when I walk a lot and I am now 13 and a half months post op.

Like FCBayern said above, the stem isn't going too move easily.. but the muscles and tendons can sure get grumpy..

Hopefully you are icing and resting and maybe by tomorrow evening you will feel some relief.
Take care and try not to think about how you are behind in your healing/recovery. The timeline is most usually longer than we planned on!

Thank you cricket hip I'm definitely feeling relief now. I took some of the hydocodine I was prescribed. I normally don't take it and rely on ibuprofen. I'm not sure what I could have done to cause that pain I was feeling earlier it could be what you said the last few days I've been increasing my walks little by little maybe it was culmination of the last two days. I think I'll take tomorrow off from the walks and just ice all day. Yes I have been concentrating on trying not to grip my cane handle so tightly and it has helped with the numbness I was having. I was freaking out a bit earlier when I thought it could be the stem moving, hopefully it wouldn't move just from me walking.

Yah, it's pretty doubtful you could re arrange your stem just by walking. Our minds really do a job on us when we feel a weird pain or backslide a bit on uor recovery.
Super happy to hear that you are feeling better this evening.

Here's hoping you wake up tomorrow feeling even more improvement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom