THR TomT in recovery

Hello Jaycey he told me the day after the surgery to feel free to start using cane as soon as I want. Then the physical therapist came in moments later and told me to continue using a walker for a few weeks

I stayed on the walker for a couple of weeks while I worked on getting my walking correct. When I went to the cane I still kept the walker by my bed for in the middle of the night trips to the bathroom and for early morning if I felt off and late in the evening if I did not feel as peppy. This did not last long but my mantra was better safe than sorry as I did not want to slow down my progress. Slow and steady will actually get you through recovery best. I did do some counter surfing at the same time in the kitchen - walking a few steps to reach something while one hand resting on the counter. You can always try the cane but examine if it is letting you walk correctly or if you tend to lean and have a small limp. Walking correctly with whatever aids help you the most is very important.

Each person's recovery is unique and even each hip can be different. My last hip seemed to be the easiest but then maybe I learned from my earlier experiences. Listen to your hip and your body and before you know it this recovery will be behind you.

Then the physical therapist came in moments later and told me to continue using a walker for a few weeks
If your surgeon told you to transition to a cane, go for it. But only when it feels right. Transitioning too soon results in getting sore and stiff. And then there is the confidence. Try a cane and then go back to the walker if it doesn't feel right.

I can only agree with the above advice. I used a walker for a few weeks and my cane for several weeks more after that. I used it less and less until my limp went away without it. That was just how it was and I accepted that’s how it needed to be. Especially after learning here on the forum not to compare recoveries. Lol. Sounds like you’re doing great. Just listen to your body. :yes:

I have to agree with those above, don't compare to others and use whatever assistive device you need to feel stable. It's also recommended that you continue to use a device until you get your gait straight. And ice, ice baby! :ice::ice: I watched a lot of Vanilla Ice on DIY channel during recovery! :heehee:

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice. I will not over due it for sure. Good news guys I had a huge breakthrough last night. After icing all day yesterday I got out of bed and I felt like a huge amount of swelling had left my body because my mobility had increased by alot. I was able to walk to my walker unaided. This morning I felt even better I got out of bed walked into the kitchen my wife was shocked to see how well I was walking. I'm am still using my walker of course but this is huge recovery. At this rate I'll definitely be using a cane by the time I see my surgeon for the two week check up

Such encouraging news, Tom! It’s a great feeling to experience that obvious progress. And to think it’s going to get better and better. I’m happy for you as I can sense your exuberance. :yes!:
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
@TomT

Hello Jaycey he told me the day after the surgery to feel free to start using cane as soon as I want. Then the physical therapist came in moments later and told me to continue using a walker for a few weeks
TomT, I see that you've had a great step forward, and I'm elated for you! Just wanted to say that the OS and the PT are not contradicting each other above. The PT is being specific but the OS was just waving his hand and saying that you'll want to use your cane one of these days and it will be fine.... My OS never watched me walk after either hip. Confidence, chutzpah, or hubris. :rotfl:

For my first hip, pretty sure I walker'd it for 12 days, and then used the cane mostly as a defensive weapon. There was a dangerous blind corner in the house, around which our large adult son would come charging. So I always waggled the cane in front of me at about waist height as I approached that corner. Works in the grocery store too! Second hip was vastly different from the git-go. I parked the walker after my first attempt at dragging it up the steps to the bathroom with me. That house was not laid out in a walker-friendly fashion at all. I am embarrassed to admit that I never used the cane at all. I carried it outdoors once I got up the nerve to walk on the road (we lived on a blind curve 3/4 of the way down a speed-inducing hill). And I carried and fake-used it in a couple of airports at 5 weeks, as a tactical signal--"keep your distance!" It didn't have much effect, so I relied onMr ZF and various pillars at the boarding gates.

I leave you with this image-- my 68-yr-old dad, some weeks post-op, walking his walker a MILE up and down the hall of their tiny home, as the only exterior door led to very rough ground. He was an engineer, with all the precision that implies, and he knew exactly how many 12-foot lengths made a mile. I sincerely hope he didn't do it all in one go! Makes me dizzy just thinking of that!

Hello all thanks you for continuing to visit my thread and offering me encouragement. I'm happy today that today I've been walking about my apt with out a walker. I do short trips to the sink or to the restroom but I am still using the walker when I so laps in the APT for PT. Walking with out the walker let's me practice walking in a more up right stance. I'm still having a bit of difficulty finding how my new gait or stride will be but walking heel to toe has helped a bit with it. I have a big ol limp still and I think alot of it has to do with the sore muscles and the healing process. How long was it before you guys were driving? Me and my wife are running low on essential groceries and I'm thinking of making a trip to Walmart which is about a mile down the road. I'd stay in the car while she runs into get what we need. She doesn't have a license to drive so that's why I'd have to do the driving.

What medication are you taking right now? Which hip did you have replaced? It is way too early for you to be driving. You will need to be sure your surgeon has officially released you to drive or you risk you insurance isn't valid. I really wouldn't not risk driving this early.

Hello Jaycey , they lets prescribed be me hydrocodone but I only take it once before bed time. I actually only have a few left. My mother is demanding that I call to get more pain meds but I'm not sure I'll need them anymore. How long did you guys remain on medication and do you think it's a good idea to request more? Ok you're probably right I didn't consider the insurance aspect of me driving right now I'll wait until I received clearance from the doctor

It's my right hip that has been replaced

Glad you are going to play it safe. It's a short time for a lifetime without hip pain.
It's my right hip that has been replaced
Another reason you shouldn't drive. At this early stage I don't think you would have the strength to do an emergency stop. And even if you did, I think it might be painful.
How long did you guys remain on medication and do you think it's a good idea to request more?
It is early days. You may need the hydrocodone to help you sleep. Have you tried Tylenol as a replacement?

I've been taking ibuprofen instead of Tylenol and you're right I only take the hydrocodone at night to help me sleep. Even when using pillows my body tends to try to roll on my side which causes me pain and then I wake up.

I took pain meds (mostly Tramadol and Tylenol) for a while but I also had tendinitis. My PCP is the one who took over coordinating pain meds. Many stores I think including Walmart will deliver your groceries. They’ll even just set them outside for you to retrieve. My husband and I have taken advantage of these services since before surgery. When you’re able to drive, shopping online then curbside pick up is another wonderful option early on so you aren’t exposed to others and to not get so worn out during your post op energy drain period. Keep on keeping on. You’re doing great. :) :-) (:

Hey thanks Jaycey and Hip4life I'll look into seeing if Walmart will deliver it to me, that would be awesome. I've always been a fan of ibuprofen because it's always relieved my arthritis pain in my hip as well as my back which I blew out all the time because of the hip. Its really helped me with this recovery too but I'll try out Tylenol for sure specially since it doesn't have the same sides effects caused by ibuprofen

If your Walmart does not deliver can you do curbside pick up and maybe have a neighbor pick them up for you. Better safe than sorry is my default setting and with the right hip the ability to move the leg quickly and slam on the breaks is so important - just in case as well as being clear of pain meds and have doctor OK. I hope you have a good day and get your groceries.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom