THR TomT in recovery

I think the “no pillow under the knees” thing is for knee replacement patients. I certainly used pillows after hip replacement surgery to reduce strain on my lower back.

I'm also having a fever that comes and goes is this normal? I'm starting to get worried about it

I'm also having a fever that comes and goes is this normal? I'm starting to get worried about it
My temp bounced between 99.5 and 100.3 for the first 2-3 days. I was told this was normal following surgery. For pain I used 100mg of tramadol two times daily and 1000mg of Tylenol 3x daily. The tramadol provided some very nice and appreciated sleep. After 4-5 days I switched to only Tylenol.

It's normal to have a slight fever. It's not due to infection, but is a reaction to the trauma caused by your surgery.
It should settle in a few days.

Constipation post surgery is quite common after surgery. First of all are you hydrating really well and second are you taking any kind of stool softeners. I took a stool softener throughout my recovery.

However, even with a stool softener I had one bad bout. Some of the recommendations are prunes, prune juice heated up and also pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling). I think I tried all of the above as well as apples. I did resort to Miralax finally and with all of the above it worked. After that I concentrated on staying hydrated, took my stool softeners and ate prunes regularly.

I hope you find relief soon.

Thank you I will definitely try that, I did take laxative this afternoon but it hasn't had any luck

@TomT my back hurt too, and I figured it had something to do with that Hana table and the hip dislocation position, which nearly made me scream when I saw a photo. As I got farther out from surgery, and was moving more normally, it too faded. I had severe back pain from a procedure which required I lie on my back unmoving for 6 hours after I'd lain on my back unmoving for the 2-hr procedure. And then they expected me to sleep in that same hideous bed overnight!
Constipation oh my. It's the oxycodone... I was so high on my first hip that I wrote a whole post in my recovery thread about the Prune Recyclement Facility having opened for business. The constipation was more uncomfortable than the hip until I got things moving.
And I'm another pillow-under-knees user. I'd call the OS office, to ask them for an opinion.

Day 3

Hey guys sorry I didn't get to respond to each individual post in the last few days. I'm excited to tell you guys that this morning I woke and had a massive improvement. The last two days I had what you guys called log leg. I literally can't could not pull my knee toward my navel or move my ankle horizontal away from my body. This morning I woke up and could pull my knee up on it's own. I even walked out of bed a few steps to my walker.

Zauberflote, Jacey _ I'm happy to tell you guys that problem also solved it self this morning! I was also very concerned about the dislocation process. When I woke up from surgery I noticed I had strange scratch on my right arm and my left ankle felt like it treated roughly. I don't know if they were flipping me over like a dead fish during surgery or what. The doctor did tell me procedure only took an hour. Now I'm gonna follow the guidelines y'all provided me with for PT. I don't want to be one of those guys that get all excited about improvement and then over due it.

I don't know if they were flipping me over like a dead fish during surgery or what.
They handle you pretty roughly during the procedure. Many people report all kinds of bruising and sore ankles and knees. Just ice those parts as well.

:wave:
Glad to hear all is going well and all is "going" well.
I had some relief followed by a few more tough days so I kept with my stool softeners for a few weeks until my system got back in check.
Slow and steady wins this race so just walking would be my advice.
Things need to settle and heal.

Hope today is a good day!

Gracious @TomT such staggering leaps forward! (Not being facetious!!) I had log leg for a week with #1, and had to transport it up to the couch or bed with the other leg hooked under the ankle. Second hip it didn't happen at all, go figure!
As to the other, way to go! Lots of water, lots of fiber. I discovered that cooked carrots were better than prunes, and also am partial to crisps/crackers made to order with ground flax seeds, water, and spices or dried herbs. Current favorite is cinnamon. Garam masala spice mix is also delicious.

Hello Tom, :wave:
Happy Sunday to you! It sounds like you’re doing really well, practicing patience and letting nature take its course. it’s the best way. As much as we’d like to, we can’t push recovery. Keep on as you’re doing and have a relaxing day. :)
@TomT

Hey guys I'm happy to read all your responses sorry I missed yesterdays update. I was just feeling a bit out of it because I took some more of the hydrocodone pills I was prescribed. I don't really care for them I feel really zonked out while on them. I'm still experiencing the log leg and I am having to use my left leg to hook it and move it about sometimes. Yesterday I did about 20 laps in my living room to the point where I was sweating profusely and my wife had to sponge me off. This morning I woke up and my leg muscles are so sore I can barely move. It feels like I ran a marathon yesterday. I may already joined the over did it club even though I swore I wouldn't. Guys I'm a bit worried about something. When I walk I can't make a natural looking gait. The extra length that was added to my leg has really done a number on my posture. I also feel like the femur seems too large or something and makes it hard for me to walk straight. Hopefully this just because it's still swollen inside

Good afternoon. The fuzzy feeling from pain meds is annoying but they are necessary at this stage. Twenty laps all at once is definitely overdoing it and your body with the sweating was letting you know. Time to listen to your body and your hip a bit more. This probably also added to the swelling in your leg.

I do not recall if you are using a walker or crutches. If using a walker make sure it is adjusted to your height and the same for crutches and use two crutches at this stage. Walking after so long of limping and being out of alignment will feel strange for most of us and for you with the leg length adjustment is adding to this. Keep practicing walking with a heel/toe heel/toe movement and repeat it out loud if you have to - I did at first to stay focused. Walk slowly and with smaller steps till. This is the time for our bodies to relearn things and get the muscle/brain connection re-established and it takes time. There is no way to hurry this and rushing can actually slow you down. Also, do not forget to elevate and ice regularly for at least 45-60 minutes at a time. I iced non stop whenever reclining, sitting or laying down. The only time I did not ice was my slow meanders around the house which were mainly bathroom visits in the first days. Also remember to stay hydrated. Time to build up the patience muscle which gets a real work out with recovery. I hope you have a peaceful day.

:goodpost: @leejaa

I can’t add anything to leejaa’s post, she covered it all. Listen to her, she knows what’s she’s talking about, check out her signature, she speaks from experience.

Hopefully your stint in the ODIC is short lived. Now behave yourself young man :heehee: and you’ll feel better soon! :yahoo:
@TomT

Oh my stars:flabber:
It has only been one week.
You really need to let that surgery trauma settle, my friend.
They made an incision, dislocated your hip at the socket, excised the top of your femer, reamed a channel down to tap in a titanium stem, replaced the ball and liner, and your body is trying hard to heal.

The energy you ate putting into asking your leg to perform before it can settle, is energy sapped away from the healing process.
Try not to project....it is going to go much easier if you chill.:ice:

All temporary....

Ohhhh @TomT .... yes you did. ODIC has a new member, who has probably learned his lesson for July! I'm sorry you hurt, but a little rest will be just the thing!

As for not being able to walk right? I had that to differing degrees with both hips, and was reassured to read among my cohort that everybody else did too. All temporary, give it plenty of time. And patience!

Hello guys thank you for each post I've read all of them sorry I'm not replying as much as I'd like I've been using my phone to post since the surgery which adds a bit of frustration to typing. Yes I think guys are fight I over did it that day. The reason I did 20 laps is because my living room is small so I was trying to recreate the distance they made me walk in the hospital. I'm am now doing the heel to toe and it is helping for sure. Yes we are almost a week from the surgery and today I'm actually sitting on the couch and stead of being bed ridden icing my leg all day. I've read alot of recovery stories on this site and I feel like I'm falling behind. It seemed that many people were already walking with out a walker in their second week. How long was it for you guys until you were able to walk with out a walker

I've read alot of recovery stories on this site and I feel like I'm falling behind.
No you are not. Please don't compare your recovery to any other recovery. Every THR is different - even on the same person.
It seemed that many people were already walking with out a walker in their second week.
You must be reading all the high achievers posts. Did your surgeon tell you to transition to another assistive device (crutch or cane)? Still very early days for you to be walking unassisted.

Do what feels most comfortable. Pushing any of this will only set you back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562