THR TomT in recovery

TomT

Country
United States United States
Guys I'm awake in my room , I feel alot of pain in my leg

Welcome to Recovery. Congrats!
Yay....ya did it! :yes!: With surgery now in the rear view, let the healing begin. Ask for ice if they haven’t already provided it, it works wonders.

Get some rest, and post when you’re able. We’ll be here.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Great news now at least you can be happy that it is over. Just hang in there and let the rehab nurses take care of you.

Congratulations @TomT !

Call the nurses now to tell them about your pain. I found with both hips that my tylenol was given on schedule automatically, but I had to ask for the percocet. On my second hip I have a vague but definite memory of also needing one dose of IV Tylenol soon after waking, which is apparently a Big Gun and worked very well.

Hey guys I'm on the other side ! I can't believe it. The surgery wasn't bad at all. I just finished my first PT session. I walked down the hall and back. I was scared to put weight on it at first but then I started walking just fine. They were able to make my leg longer but it's not exactly the same as the left leg but much much better than before. Now that I'm back in bed I am feeling pain starting to creep in. I have an ice pack on my leg but I don't feel it, is that normal ,?

:wave:
Yay, all done.
Numbness is to be expected...they could've helped it medicinely...and things are a bit traumatized...so try not to worry. Actually a blessing!!?
I wouldn't get too obsessed with leg length yet...with predictable swelling it will all need to settle a bit.
You are going to love your new hip...:egypdance:
Rest all you can...healing mojo coming your way.

Last edited:
Well hello new HIppie! Try to keep an eye on your pain schedule and make sure you are getting enough of your medications on time.. Even a short delay can make you wince for a while.
Hopefully you look like this? :ice:

Did you sleep any last night and one more question, did the staff keep you comfortable while waiting for surgery? I bet they did.
Congrats! You did it!

Congratulations on your shiny new hip. Kind of amazing to be walking right away. Good job. I never really felt the ice which is normal but used it pretty much non stop. If you are having pain, call for the nurse and let them know. Sometimes it helps to know what the schedule is or how long before next pill time but also push if pain increases because they can also contact the doctor for something stronger if needed. I hope you have some sleep tonight which is not always easy in the hospital with all the staff checking on you and beeps from machines.

Congrats and welcome to the healing side! Definitely keep asking for ice as needed and ask about pain meds so the pain can be brought under control, no fun playing catch up.

That was a great first PT session! Steps tomorrow and hopefully home, where you will actually get some sleep!

:hi: Hope you slept well last night, Tom, and your pain is well managed. I’ll bet today there will be a lesson on how to navigate stairs and if you’re lucky guidance in accessing the car to go home to your recovery nest. If so, safe travels!
@TomT

I'm home guys. I did my PT this morning and the doctor told them to discharge me. The funny thing is I went in with a long left leg now I'm pretty sure my right leg is the longer one. I'm in a bit of pain but not that much. I'm surprised at how painless the whole thing is. I can't wait to start my recovery. Ill post daily about my recovery and would appreciate any advice you guys have.

Welcome home @TomT ! If they gave you an injected pain killer at the op site, be aware of your pain level. On me those tend to last about half as long as the discharge notes say. So I have to be ready with my rx pain med to be on schedule immediately.

Your leg may, as mine did, only feel longer. There is this post-op thing called "perceived LLD", and I wasn't the only one to have it. Mine faded without me noticing.

Advice: rest! Ice! Elevate! And take any nausea-inducing med with several bites of solid food. Then rest. Maybe a walk to the bathroom. A little snack. More rest! :yes: :flwrysmile:

How wonderful to be home as my basic belief is that there is no place like home where I can be in charge and it is quieter. Do not push and listen to your body and your hip. Also, read the great recovery guidelines that Layla posted at the beginning of this thread. Lots of good information on elevation, ice, etc.

Day 2.
Thank you guys for the support it's much appreciated. I had really rough night last night. I'm not sure why I felt so well in the hospital and then when I first got home but last night my leg kept having muscle spasms causing extreme pain Everytime it happens. Also my back is killing me I think it has to do with my leg suddenly being longer. The doctor told me he got it within a millimetre of the other leg. However it does actually feel longer than my good leg. I think you guys are right it might be just because my body needs to rearrange it self now. One question I have , the PT in the hospital told me not to put a pillow under my leg while I'm in bed but I feel so uncomfortable trying to do that. Should I force myself to do that anyway ? Hopefully I'll have a better day today

Good Morning Tom, I’m sorry you’ve had a rough night.
You may have felt better in the hospital due to meds they gave you initially, or injected into the surgical area before closing. My surgeon used Exparel which gradually wore off over the first 72 hrs. Your comfort level may also have been with the fact you were surrounded by medical professionals who were at the ready, should you have a question, or need them.

You can contact your surgeons office about the muscle spasms if they’re really bothering you and they may be able to offer you something. Another option that’s worked for some is Magnesium -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Try ice or heat on your back and see if it brings you any relief. However, do not apply heat to your incision area.

It the pillow the PT suggested you use in bed makes you uncomfortable, stop using it. It’s all about your comfort right now.

Hope you feel better as the day progresses. :console2:

Thank you Layla and everyone posting , I'm going to rest and let my meds start working this morning then I'm going to try to do a little PT. I think you're right if it keeps going I'm gonna call the doctor. They gave me oxcycod but it doesn't really offer me any relief. In the hospital they gave me something called tramadol and I felt more relief from that perhaps I should try to get them to send a prescription if that to my pharmacy

Yes! Put a call in now and express your concerns. There’s no sense in waiting if you can be more comfortable and it may take awhile for them to return your call anyway.

If you’re hurting, skip the PT today. It won’t matter because you don’t really need it anyway. Just get up and walk for 5 mins every hour or two. A trip to the bathroom or out to the kitchen for a drink or snack should cover that.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
@TomT

he PT in the hospital told me not to put a pillow under my leg while I'm in bed but I feel so uncomfortable trying to do that.
If you are back sleeping not having a pillow under your knees will cause lower back issues. I can't understand why PT would tell you not to use one.
they gave me something called tramadol
Many of our members are prescribed this just post op. Do ask your doctor for a prescription. The combination of tramadol and Tylenol can be very effective. Here's a chart our former Nurse Director used:

The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

If you use this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen) You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.

Hello all the PT said putting a pillow under my leg while laying can cause my hip thigh muscles to be contracted and it's better to not use it, but I can't get comfortable without it. I've stopped taking the meds they gave me and switched over to 800 milligram ibuprofen combined with ice packs I'm actually much better now and have been able to do two light PT sessions and walking inside my house. Sorry if this is too much info but I haven't been able go number 2 in more than a few days did you guys experience this ?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom