Tomorrow's my big day

Status
Not open for further replies.

petuniafish

Country
United States United States
Everyone here's got to have one right, right?
Even tho I work in surgery I am afraid! I'll be hanging on our own anesthesiologists coattails all day, pestering them.
Oh well. Think this will be my last post for a bit. Thanks to all of you for your help and kindness. See you soon! Nancy

Nancy, Good Luck Tomorrow,it is easy to say not to be afraid i know i was and still am knowing that i am going to go through it again.But just think soon you will be pain free in your knee!You will be in my prayers,and cant wait to hear from you again. Hugs Peggy

All the best to you, Petunia! Look forward to seeing you on your return.

You and me both Petunia. I was due to have ny second TKR on the 28th, but it's now tomorrow due to a cancellation.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I'll look forward to hearing about your progress when we are both on the other side. Val

Good luck to both of you, Petunia and Stives!!! The sooner the surgery, the sooner recovery and your new life begins!! We'll be lookin' forward to hearing from you both once you can post again. You are in my prayers for a quick an easy surgery.

Nancy and Stives, Know our prayers and good thoughts will be with all of you tomorrow.

Just think, in a few hours you will wake up and begin the journey towards regaining your life. Think of all the things you haven't been able to do or if you did them you did in pain and how in a few short weeks the pain will be gone and soon after that you will have entire days when you don't even think knees.

Good luck. Janet (Rowdy)

My prayers are with you both for a speedy recovery!!! These are terrific people here please return and let us know how it went. I am new here cant give advice but here to listen if you need to vent !!!!!!!! Get well soon......kim

We will be here when you return, Please let us know how you are doing....And wish you a speedy recovery ........

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. This time tomorrow I'll be 'on the other side '- I suspect Petuniafish might not be quite there 'cos of the time difference.

I've just enjoyed my 'last supper' and will finish the day with another snack before the fast! Roll on the new life. Will I ever be able to do hills, steps and stairs like a normal person?! Yeah - hope so!

Val

Hope all goes really well tomorrow Val. Will be thinking of and praying for you. Linda x

Nancy & Val,
The wait is almost over. Can hardly wait to hear stories from the 2 of you on how it went. LOL You know "Jo" really raised the bar on how to tell us about the Hospital Stay. We are all spoiled now and expect visual story.
My prays are with you both!!! I will be here waiting for your wonderfull stories.
^i^
RTKR on Jan 14 2009
LTKR on March 6 2009

Whoa!!!!
I was in the hospital for two days, the PKR went great (according to the OS) and I'm thrilled. Thank you for all the hope, kindness and encouragement. Just amazing what a little human contact can do over the internet. I felt hugs from each one of you as I was wheeled off to that OR.

All my worries about anesthesia- bupkis. Turned out my neurologist was right. My previous cardiac responses to drugs were actually seizures. 15 years ago I had a three major surgeries in two years. Every time any form of "caine" or opiate was administered, from morphine down to codeine, my heart stopped. Or an unstable rhythm would develop and out came the defibrillator.

Was finally diagnosed with epilepsy 5 years ago and started a boatload of anti-epileptic meds to keep seizures under control. My neuro said that it was possible that all my opiate and 'caine' sensitivities were really seizures in disguise. And now that the seizures are controlled with meds I might do fine with anesthesia. My neuro recommended test doses be given with the same meds that would be needed in anesthesia and for pain control.

The anesthesia dept at the hospital my OS works out of has a good reputation, but it's still a small (small, small- 90 beds!) hospital. It has both anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists performing equally. My case was assigned to a CRNA (nurse anesthestist). He REALLY listened and did not roll his eyes like he thought I was a nut, as MD's often do when I've tried to explain my caine/opiate dilemma. (All apologies to any MD's reading this or family members). I'm a nurse and not tooting my profession's horn, but it took another nurse to LISTEN and provide anesthesia accordingly. When he said "let's do test doses", could have kissed him. (But he was not as cute as my OS is. Darn it.)

So, the nerve block was done, anesthesia meds that had previously been problematic were given, and I was in and out of the OR in under 2 hrs according to my hubby. The OS was great (and as mentioned previously, overwhelmingly handsome- why is it always that way? I blush EASILY too), and hospital staff was terrific. They said they could not recall a shorter PKR admit to discharge time. In Tuesday morning-out Thursday morning.

I'm home, I'm sore, but Vicoden is doing the job. I have the good fortune to have a husband who is a physical therapist. He is Gestapo when it comes to staying on schedule with exercise (or he was yesterday anyway), and helping me even in the middle of the night with my walker getting to the BR, etc. Maybe listening to all my whining he wants this thing TO WORK!!!

The REAL WORK begins now as many of you can probably vigorously attest to. I probably won't be walking with only a cane for assistance in 2.5 weeks to return to work, like my boss thinks I should. But DAY-HUM (can I say that here?) I am giddy!!! (I even had letters written to my husband and children- and my meager collection of jewelry....left a note about which sister, daughter-in-law gets what. Thought strongly it could be lights out with previous anesthesia probs.)

But zippity-do-dah. Hubby's going to walker me to the shower and along the way I'll rip those letters to shreds.

Thanks everyone!!!
Love,
Nancy

Welcome to the other side, Nancy! Keep up the great recup! :)

Congrats, really happy all is well. Glad your Husband is helping thats important. I said to my husband if you can see me like this, (a worst) you know what i mean it must really be love..Because the things he has seen and heard oh boy..Take it easy now.

Hi my fellow-Tuesday-operation-patient! So glad everything has gone so well for you. Tuesday must have been a good day, as I am also home after a very good experience. I'll probably repeat what I've already written on another thread, but never mind......

Walked into the anaesthetic room on Tuesday morning, woke up and it was all over. Felt a bit sicky later that day, called the nurse who got the doc to give me an injection, after which all the nasty symptoms disappeared.

Wednesday was out of bed with a walking frame, to which were attached drip, drain and catheter bag. Had excellent appetite and enjoyed all the food provided.

Yesterday all tubes removed, walked loads up and down the ward on crutches, washed myself in bathroom (although had to have help with washing legs and putting anti-dvt stockings on), ate very well. Visitors commented on how well I looked - even though they didn't recycle my blood and I had lost quite a lot.

This morning managed to convince the physio that I had an excellent bend, showed her that I could manage stairs, and we agreed that the straight leg lifting was the hardest to do and it wouldn't stop her from agreeing to let me out of hospital! (I can't do it to order although I have done it once or twice!)

I am now home with packets of diclofenac, paracetamol, aspirin and something called omeprazole which I think is to counteract anything nasty that aspirin might do to the stomach, although I'm not sure about that. I've got to decide when to take all these, and in what combination - any suggestions from anyone?

Hubby is cooking a meal, and I'm looking forward to eating it. I lost weight after my first TKR as I felt quite nauseaus (how DO you spell that?!) and didn't have much of an appetite for over a week. I can see this time I shall be putting weight on.

So, the big day has been and gone, and the whole experience was absolutely fine. I suspect this time it was so much easier because I was more relaxed, knowing what to expect and that it was nothing to worry about, and possibly because my second knee was perhaps not as bad as the first - it wasn't as bent or quite as painful as the first.

And now that I'm home the weather has decided to take a turn for the worst - how dare it! Just had thunder and heavy rain.

Best of luck for your continued progress.

Val

Petunia and stives, well done. I'm so glad you had a good surgical experience. It counts for such a lot.

Nancy, your post was a true day-brightener for me. As I read more and more, my smile widened so much that may face hurt!!! You have the most fabulous team going...from handsome doc, caring nurse on down to wonderful hubby. You are blessed. May this just be the beginning of MANY, MANY good things to come. Please continue to post them, because your good words have such an impact on others who follow you down the joint replacement road.

Well, I've got to come back in here - my OS is definitely the dishiest on the planet! Lovely smile, very caring, someone you can talk to easily and who actually listens. A really nice person! He also seems to have done a fantasic job with my rubbish knees.

All the staff at the hospital were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble, they all seemed happy in their work - although I could tell that they all had far too much to do - and I really could not fault them in any way.

My hubby is also a treasure. After 45 years of married life he has recently (well, since we both retired, I suppose) discovered that he enjoys cooking, so I am looking forward to some exciting meals while I am recuperating. That could take a long time.......! He is also very helpful and supportive. Some of us are truly blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie