THR Tomorrow

ddj

Country
United States United States
Guess I have finally navigated the per-surgery course. Sitting here drinking my morning coffee, trying to prioritize the stuff that still needs get done, mostly around the house. First time I will have a nurse/PT come to me, usual care here is for patient to office. Fairly sure she (he?) is not coming to help fold laundry.
Planning a light ”last meal” for tonight. Now am quarantined now until after surgery so can’t even go out!!
Kind of funny being in quarantine considering I have spent the last few months helping in the mass vaccine clinics giving hundreds of vaccines! (Not really the best technique to give a vaccine from 6 feet away!)
Looking forward to being “on the other side” + 3 months...really want my life back

@ddj Best wishes for you tomorrow :flwrysmile:from one Oregonian to another :) I had a home health nurse visit after my BTHR (back in 2011) and your are right - she/he will not be there to help fold laundry :heehee:

What the gal who came to my home did was monitor my incisions, make sure there was no infection, check out my home for any safety issues, - sort of combined visiting nurse functions with occupational health functions. She only came once a week for about a month .. but it was nice not to have to go into an office right after surgery.

@ddj All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon. You might want to start your recovery thread now and bookmark it so that you can easily find it post op.

All the best tomorrow, ddj.
Will be watching for your first update on the healing side. :)
I hope you have a peaceful evening.
@ddj

@ddj Best wishes for you tomorrow :flwrysmile:from one Oregonian to another :) I had a home health nurse visit after my BTHR (back in 2011) and your are right - she/he will not be there to help fold laundry :heehee:

What the gal who came to my home did was monitor my incisions, make sure there was no infection, check out my home for any safety issues, - sort of combined visiting nurse functions with occupational health functions. She only came once a week for about a month .. but it was nice not to have to go into an office right after surgery.

Thank you for all the good wishes....
Too bad the HIPPA filter in the OR suite did not have well-wishers too.
Got as far as having my IV placed this morning and then the surgeon came in to tell me the surgery was cancelled. Without a working HIPPA filter, the germs could not be kept out of the party.
Anyway they pulled my IV & sent me home, likely to be another 2-3 months before it surgery can be rescheduled.
Fun thing is I get to redo all the pre-op studies, lab work, CoVid testing & quarantine time.
(For the record, because I am a nurse, I have been fully vaccinated since January....)

Guess I will take the rest of the day off and then go back to work tomorrow.....
Maybe I will just take up homesteading in the pre-op forum!!

Sorry to hear that happened to you. :tantrum2: Can they at least put you on a waiting list if someone cancels? I was able to get my hip a month earlier that way.

@ddj So sorry your surgery was cancelled - at the last minute! Everyone's nightmare. I so hope you can get a new date soon.

Oh no. What a shame. You'd be all psyched up for it too. Hope they can sneak you in sooner

I'm sorry your surgery was postponed, @ddj . That's tough after you got so far. :console2:

I'll remove your name from the April Rainbows surgery list. If you let us know when you have a new surgery date, we'll add your name to the appropriate monthly surgery team.

The more I think about it @ddj who told you it would take 2-3 months to reschedule? I'm thinking since it was their problem they should be getting you in as soon as possible. I think I would probably get pretty adamant about not having to wait that long.

Just re-read my post this morning & realized that I was in such a state that could not even spell correctly....meant to type HEPA filter.... to identify the device that delayed the surgery. Although the idea of privacy in health care could actually apply regarding the things I wanted to say instead of “oh that’s ok, just let me know when you have an opening....”
thankfully my mask hid the fact that I was not smiling!!
The surgeon only operates on Mondays, and only does 2 cases each Monday.....so I am hoping for sometime in May or early June.
Good thing is more time to work on the pre-PT...program.

Chuckled at the idea of a privacy filter causing cancelation, though I did "translate" HIPPA to HEPA. Comes from living in an old house. You are taking the cancellation with class--probably the prep will be somewhat easier a second time. Bummer on the work schedule. Good luck on the reschedule. I go Wednesday and am going slightly crazy.

Found a place in line (again).
New surgery day is 5/10/2021. Almost afraid to even say it out loud! This is my 3rd rescheduled time...words of comfort from my surgeon “look at it this way, third time is a charm”. Do not want to even think about why I might need “a charm”!

Unfortunately the postponement has provided me with lots of wakeful nights worrying about pain, vulnerability, having to ask for help more than I am comfortable with, and how soon I will be able to get back to work. Generally replaying my previous surgery
My first surgery (5 years ago) really derailed my mental health, just now am navigating on more solid emotional ground. It is my plan to not revisit depression land again.....

Six more months to wait. Oh dear that's a long time to be waiting and worrying all over again. Are you maybe on a last minute cancellation list or would that be too stressful? You could have a bag packed ready with everything you might need.
Do you have activities or events to look forward to? A holiday maybe? It really helped me psychologically with lockdown easing to start putting dates in my diary. Yes my op is is in the diary but so are two mini breaks and three meals out.
I have positive memories of my last TKR. The surgeon and the hospital staff are lovely and I remember the lovely feeling after the op of 'It's over' all I have to do is recover.
You will too!

Six more months to wait. Oh dear that's a long time to be waiting and worrying all over again
I believe the date is May 10 as the numerical date differs in different countries.
@ddj Your wait is coming to an end.
Different hips often have different recoveries as we say often, so hopefully lefty will be drama free.
You have your bonesmarties here for support and advice so let's get this new hip show on the road so you can have a pain free year.:tada:

Of course! I thought the poor soul was hanging on till October! Two countries divided by a common language!

Oh my, did not think about how I wrote the date :heehee:!
Reality is, it actually has been 5 months since I started this process but that is a fairly standard time frame.
However, I like the idea of identifying something special to focus on beyond the immediate recovery phase, especially if pandemic does subside enough to go someplace. Kind of like going for a long hike. Looking down at the trail will keep you from stumbling, but looking forward keeps where you are going in view!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom