Tomorrow I meet with the Surgeon to decide.. surgery or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braunzie

graduate
Country
United States United States
I think the writing is on the wall.. Cortisone shots, Hyaluronic Acid shots... somewhat improved motion, reduced pain and frequency of "catching" in the knee.. Can walk without limping SOMETIMES, but very unpredictable (and this is a BIG improvement from where I was). Can only go up and down stairs (only holding a handrail), one step at a time.. Only walking on EVEN ground.. forget uneven ground (aka, most lawns and trails) or going down stairs with no rail.. not without a crutch or cane.. :P Can't hike, can't go on "walks", can't go bowling, can't..(fill in the blank if it's doing any more than walking more than half a mile on asphalt or concrete) .....I MISS carrying my cameras on new walking / hiking adventures with our group of friends.... the sphere of my world has collapsed monumentally. "Exercising" is kind of a joke. Even having a "desk job", my world revolves around "pain avoidance".. My thought is ALWAYS about my knee.. I know it's a long recovery.. I know there are risks.. Why would I POSSIBLY NOT SAY FIX MY DARN KNEE? (I think I know what I'll hear from this group, but please indulge me, with all my gratitude in advance.. :) )

PolarBear60

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
You have to reach the conclusion, but I think you know what it will be for you. Keep adding to your knowledge arsenal. Hope the visit goes well and you emerge with confidence in the path ahead.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Lovestoread

supremo
Country
Just know that your knee won't get better on it's own! TKR will let your start living your life the way you want, instead of your knee controlling your life! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

skigirl

Country
bronze
Of course I agree. I was amazed at how many things I had stopped doing---because I could not do them!!! My life opened up quite a bit. I have been skiing on my knee for over six years now.

Angel1978

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Just know that improvement does come from a knee replace. You stop loving life cause your knee takes it away from You. After recovery you will be able to do the things that your knee stole. Recovery is at your own pace. Set a goal. Best of luck tommrow. (Hugs)

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015

KarriB

Country
My knee pain was ruling my life. I wanted to go to MLB games, shopping, and all types of events, but I couldn't due to the pain. I still have to get my left knee done, but I can do most anything I want now. Yesterday I went shopping at an outlet, today I stood for an hour. Is it easy? No, but nothing worth having is easy. The truth is, your bone on bone pain will never go away, there will be "surgical pain", swelling and a lot of resting after your TKR, but it will diminish over time.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
Here's something that will give you real proof. Just print it off and fill it in. I think you'll be amazed to find things are even worse than you think they are!

Attachments

• A_Score_chart_-_how_bad_is_my_arthritic_hip-knee__v4.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kerbear