THR Tomgirl got the T Shirt

Thank you for all your good wishes sent to my pre-op thread. Glad to be home. Hospitals are not the place for sleep. Op was reported as 'uneventful' which sounds good to me, Don't remember anything after anaethetist doing his bit, didn't feel a thing when he was doing the spinal, we were just talking about music and playlists. Next thing I knew I'm in recovery. I was told I had a few moments of 'figiting' during the surgery. There were and still are concerns about my BP, but nothing so alarming to stop me getting home. They did actually say I could go home the day after the op as I had all my 'boxes ticked' but I asked for another day. My mobility was better than expected and did the stairs very very slowly. My biggest problem is once I am lying down on the bed I have great difficulty getting back up. Log Leg has arrived! But joy of all joys I have had my Poo.

Yay you, @Tomgirl. Home certainly is more comfortable, as comfortable goes at this point. And it took me almost 4 day before the poo prophesy was realized, so Yay for not having that to deal with.
So good to hear you are on your way:hi:

Welcome to the other side @Tomgirl ! Take things slow and steady. Get that ice in place. You are on your way!
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Tomgirl good to see you posting your recovery and sounds like it is going well so far. I hope your playlist helped while prepping!

Great news @Tomgirl
Already home and thriving.
Best wishes for a relaxing weekend full of rest, ice and well managed pain.
Keep up the good work!

Had a good couple of days, so much nicer to be home. Not in much pain but still trying to be a good patient in recovery - resting, elevating, bit of icing and walking. Can manage the stairs pretty well. I'm taking all the tablets as per what the hospital told me to take but would really love to cut back on the codeine. Today is the last day for showering with their stuff so looking forward to tomorrows shower with nice shower gel. Oh the little things...

Oh so true.....the little things. This surgery is a real eye opener in that it makes one pause and realize all
we so easily take for granted. I found myself whispering "Thank you, Jesus" often!!
You sound like your doing great @Tomgirl
Have to add I was a little concerned when you weren't posting at first but relieved to learn you were just
taking care of the biz of getting better.
Best wishes for a peaceful relaxing week of continued healing!

Thanks @Layla you always send such warm friendly posts. I'm really trying to be positive and sensible about recovery, so far so good. Hubby is so impressed with me......getting loads of brownie points!

would really love to cut back on the codeine
Early days my friend. Don't be too quick about cutting back on the meds. You need your pain managed to get your mobility back.

Afternoon @Susan209 Doing good thanks, everything gets a little bit easier every day. Walking round the house ok, haven't been outside yet - it's a bit cold and wet but as soon as it looks good I'll be out there for just a few minutes probably. Two tablets - Gabapentin get stopped on Thursday and I seem to have the choice of 30mg or 60mg of codeine to take, I'm currently taking 60mg so perhaps at the weekend might reduce one of them to 30mg. But I definately do not want to get too ambitious. Thigh is still swollen to knee, can't exactly see the shape of my knee- I know it's there but is hiding. No pain though and getting in out of bed is ok. Finally convinced hubby that I can manage getting to the bathroom by myself thru the night but he still wants me to wake him if I'm getting up. And talking of hubby, 2 nights ago at about 2am he must have decided to enter the World Snoring Competition. He must must must have won. Didn't like to complain too much as he's being so good with everything else. Just had a call from Surgical Nurses team to see how I'm getting on. I really don't know what I'd have been like if I didn't have BS to get info from. My heart goes out to those who don't have access to it. Oh and I just love having a shower. Hope you have a good day too Susan and all.

@Tomgirl I hadn't heard about the World Snoring Competition, but apparently last night my husband was also a competitor! It wasn't noise volume so much as consistency with him. He just wouldn't quit. I slept in my daughter's bed since she's at university until Weds night. Congratulations on your husband's victory lol! And glad to hear that recovery is going well for you.

Sounds as though all is going well for you @Tomgirl
Hubby sounds like wonderful support....when he's not snoring like a freight train. Lol!
You're lucky to have him, many do this on their own.
Keep up the good work. Wishing you a great week!

Hi @Tomgirl I just saw your post on my thread about 'uneventful surgery' so dropped by to see how you are doing. In any other circumstances 'uneventful' would sound dreary but with surgery it sounds very good.
I also had the shower gel for 5 days pre-op but nothing afterwards. I also had to change the bed linen for each of those days - did you have that too?
I hate to tell you but your OH's competition win was probably only the regional finals and you have national and international rounds to get through too! Our solution was separate rooms which 7 weeks on is still ongoing and could possibly become permanent! But we couldn't manage without our partner's support could we?

So glad to see you are doing so well @Tomgirl . I had to laugh, too, about the snoring as I have another one of the competitors at my house. I will point out though that much of his is due to sleep apnea. A few years back when he would snore, I noticed there were times he actually stopped for a bit (maybe 10-20 seconds) and then sort of make a loud snort to get air and I realized during those times he really wasn’t breathing so I finally convinced him to get checked. A sleep study showed the sleep apnea so he is supposed to sleep with the face mask, cpap machine, etc. but he has never liked it and doesn’t use it unfortunately. I have sleep apnea as well but I don’t mind the mask as I feel I get a much deeper sleep using it. Of course, this is totally off the subject of hips, but I wanted to point it out that sometimes the snoring can be from a problem like that. You can just google sleep apnea if you aren’t familiar with it and see the signs, symptoms and side effects of it. No one ever seems to bring it up much but it is good to be aware of it.

You will find each day of your recovery a tad bit better than the one before so by the end of a week you can look back and see how far you have come. Just remember you need lots of patience and rest, ice, elevate in these early days. Sending positive thoughts your way today.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom